Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Is stringing actually enjoyable? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=466936)

Doctor of Tennis 06-16-2013 02:10 AM

Is stringing actually enjoyable?

Hello, I'm thinking of getting a stringing machine, but I'm wondering if it will be boring. I'm kinda lazy, especially at things that seem like a chore, haha. I've watched someone do it once, doesn't seem that fun....

Do you guys actually like stringing in of itself or do you do it for another reason other than saving money?

Maui19 06-16-2013 02:56 AM

Stringing is a bit of a chore, but I like saving money and getting my string bed exactly the way I want it. I generally string while some kind of sports is on TV, so the time goes by quickly.

mikeler 06-16-2013 03:43 AM

I'm lazy too but for some odd reason, I enjoy stringing my own sticks.

MarrratSafin 06-16-2013 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 7510169)
I'm lazy too but for some odd reason, I enjoy stringing my own sticks.

+1!:)

Plus I feel safest when stringing my own frames, this especially for people who are still using classic frames that are getting hard to find like me.

Dags 06-16-2013 04:19 AM

I do enjoy it. I might not feel that way if I had to make a living out of it, but when I can choose how many (or how few) racquets I do, I actually find the process fairly therapeutic.

I rather liked the idea before I started, mind. If you have doubts, and aren't particularly interested in experimenting with different strings and tensions, then I wouldn't necessarily recommend leaping in with both feet. The amount of money I have invested would probably shock me if I ever tried to take stock of what's in my stringing box!

Lex 06-16-2013 04:56 AM

Ask around and see if a buddy has a machine. Maybe he/she could guide you through stringing a few frames on the machine. That would be a good start without buying your own machine.

I certainly don't look forward to stringing but I like having the ability to customize my own frames.

I also reload my own ammo and find it to be a chore at times.

pmata814 06-16-2013 06:00 AM

I really enjoy stringing. I'm always hoping that my strings will break or asking my brothers if they need their raquets restrung. It's kinda strange because even when I had to downgrade to the klippermate I found it incredibly annoying because of the cam system and the floating clamps, yet I still enjoyed stringing. I can't explain why :confused: I'm sure I'd feel differently if I had to do it as 'work for a living' sorta thing

The thing is... in your case you're gonna want to test the waters with an inexpensive machine (in case you don't like it you didn't invest that much money). So you'll probably start with a machine with floating clamps, which is a LOT LESS enjoyable to string on than fixed clamps. So you'll probably get turned off to stringing quickly. Just my opinion of course.

colowhisper 06-16-2013 06:41 AM

I am a novice stringer and enjoy it a lot. Part of the appeal was learning about strings and frames and tensions. When I string up a racquet I really understand the touch and feel of a string; how it uncoils, how thick or slippery, and how hard it is to weave and feed and tie off, etc. I also learned to appreciate good and fresh string jobs and the ability to just "string up a racquet quick" before a hitting session to try some new strings. I have to admit being a bit of a "gear junkie" in all my sports and hobbies, but i can't imagine living without a stringer now.

JackB1 06-16-2013 07:14 AM

It takes a special kind of person to "enjoy" stringing.
Whether or not that is YOU wont be known until you try it.
It can be very boring and tedious to some and relaxing and fun to others.
I am kind of in the middle. I don't mind it, but I don't look forward to stringing racquets.

Carolina Racquet 06-16-2013 07:26 AM

I enjoy stringing. It's a little theropeutic in a way... allowing you to put everything else to the side. Now I know why my mother would like to knit :)

On top of that, being able to play with fresh strings when I want and not be told it's going to be 2 days or whatever is a plus. On top of that... save money too.

If you're a serious tennis player, I think it's a no-brainer.

tball 06-16-2013 07:28 AM

I enjoyed stringing for the first year or two -- while it was all new to me. Lots of little challenges and tricks to learn. I also used to break a lot fewer strings back then.

Now I am down to just a few racquets, a few strings -- which I string over and over again -- that old joy is definitely gone. The only thing that keeps it interesting is that new strings keep popping up every year. Which means new feels, new permutations, new experiments.

struggle 06-16-2013 09:51 AM

i enjoy it just as much as i enjoy changing the oil in my car. well, maybe abit more because it's easier to swill beer and watch tv/sports while stringing.

in reality, it sucks BUT is extremely easy to do and is a huge money saver to boot.

Topspin101 06-16-2013 10:44 AM

Fun? I would say it is more "rewarding". I have always been a hands on guy involved in all aspects of the hobbies I enjoy. Examples: I fly fish so of course I tie my own flies. Hunting so I reload. Archery so I make my own arrows, etc. I string watching the Tennis Channel and will say I enjoy it a lot.

Ramon 06-16-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspin101 (Post 7511051)
Fun? I would say it is more "rewarding". I have always been a hands on guy involved in all aspects of the hobbies I enjoy. Examples: I fly fish so of course I tie my own flies. Hunting so I reload. Archery so I make my own arrows, etc. I string watching the Tennis Channel and will say I enjoy it a lot.

I think that sums it up for me, too. The fun wears off after the first few string jobs, and then it's just rewarding. Also, the money isn't good unless you get a lot of clients and can do the job in under 20 minutes, which means you either compromise job quality or invest in a $5,000 machine. That's why I string mainly for myself and a few friends.

athiker 06-16-2013 11:30 AM

Similar to posts above. I enjoyed learning to string...less excited about actually doing it now. I string on a standard Klippermate which is fine but admit I am a bit envious of some of the machines fixed clamp/electronic machines I see in videos. Just doesn't make cost sense for me to buy one unless I were to start stringing for others...which I'm not.

I think it would feel weird now to play with a racquet someone else strung. I like knowing exactly how it was strung. I also still like experimenting with different stringbed tensions and even string bed types...poly, hybrid and multi...I change with my mood and how I've been hitting lately...so its nice to be able to do that myself. I'll sometimes adjust tension I was planning just based on how a string feels in my hand after opening the package...stiffness, springiness, etc.

Its worth learning if for nothing else to feel more connected to your racquet...may sound a bit goofy...but I think its true. (*Yes I realize Federer does not string his own racquets and does quite well...he also likely has a higher quality of stringer available to him than I do at the local sporting goods store or neighborhood kid).

Peppershaker 06-16-2013 11:48 AM

Therapeutic is a good term.

Overall I have found stringing to be a relaxing experience. Yea there are times when it's been a chore either due to being in a rush, or a frame or string that Isn't the most pleasant but I find that it preoccupies my time, keeps me away from TV and the computer.

A good machine though does make a difference. Started with an X2 (fine to begin with), moved to a Stringway ML100 and there is most effeminately a difference.

beernutz 06-16-2013 01:12 PM

I would never say that it is fun to string but it is rewarding knowing you are doing the job right and saving money on top of that.

I homebrew beer and enjoy the heck out of drinking what I make and sharing it with my friends. However, I enjoy cleaning up after a brew session or cleaning out tap lines and kegs not so much. The same advantages I listed above for stringing apply though.

cluckcluck 06-16-2013 01:54 PM

I enjoy stringing a lot. I prefer to string. It's an art.

Squidward 06-16-2013 02:19 PM

The enjoyment is when the customer smiles and is satisfied.

That being said, I do look forward to doing every racquet. It's sorta like golf. No matter how many times you do it, it's always a challenge. No two racquets (or courses) are the same. Even the ones you do several times...and yes, I have enjoyed learning and performing the art of stringing.

mrmike 06-16-2013 02:25 PM

It became less fun today when I tried to string up some monogut zx16 and snapped it two different times and tossed the remains in the trash. :mad: