Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Why does everyone seem to hate Andrew Castle? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=467033)

Jeffrey573639 06-17-2013 02:42 AM

Why does everyone seem to hate Andrew Castle?

Just a random question since Castle seems to take a lot of flak here. Please note I've only seen two matches that he's casted but I actually enjoyed his commentary even if he does goes off-topic frequently. So why does everyone seem to hate him so much?

NatF 06-17-2013 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffrey573639 (Post 7512247)
Just a random question since Castle seems to take a lot of flak here. Please note I've only seen two matches that he's casted but I actually enjoyed his commentary even if he does goes off-topic frequently. So why does everyone seem to hate him so much?

He talks alot of nonsense and swoons over Andy Murray constantly. Imagine if veroniquem was calling a Nadal match...that's how bad it is ;)

decrepitude 06-17-2013 02:53 AM

He's a hypocrite (and smarmy with it). A few years ago he definitely did NOT "swoon over" Andy Murray, he was hypercritical and if he complimented him at all over anything it was a back-handed compliment.

The BBC got so many complaints from viewers about this that he smartly changed his tune. Hypocrite.

TheF1Bob 06-17-2013 02:55 AM

He's talks out of his backside 24/7 regarding Murray.

Could be said for others as well.

Russeljones 06-17-2013 03:14 AM

I'll keep it clean, he's not very professional.

*Sparkle* 06-17-2013 03:23 AM

I generally don't mind him. He is a bit in love with a lot of players, not just Murray, so I think that's a bit of an unfair criticism, but he can lay it on a bit thick.

Going by what a few of the British pundits have said, they still have general members of the public asking if Andy is as good as Henman, who don't realise just how much he has achieved or how good he is. I get the sense that some of the punditry is a reaction to that, with them trying to make the point that Andy really is one of the very best, and it isn't fanciful to hope he can win Wimbledon.

I don't mind the off-topic and general rambling. It's part of the brief when you have long matches and rain delays. We have to remember that Castle has a lot of experience of general tv hosting, so he's not used to aiming his commentary towards the hard-core tennis fans, and has a fear of long periods of silence. Some find that patronising, but most of the time he's probably pitching it right for the bulk of viewers.

The main reason I'm happy to stick up for Castle is that he knows the limitations of his own achievements. He's good at working with the pundits who did achieve more, directing them in their commentary.

There are times when I wish he'd allow a bit more silence, but I still prefer him to the pundits who get all judgemental about players' errors, or who see commentary as an excuse to relive their own past glories.

tennis_pro 06-17-2013 03:30 AM

His unconditional love for British tennis, especially Murray. Whatever he does it's GOAT worthy.

An example of his biased commentary:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAeFXIIq95A

Federer hits a crazy drop shot and what does he say?

Instead of "what a crazy dropper" he goes "pretty old-fashioned shot, Bunny Austin and Fred Perry would've been pleased with this"

GOOD FOR THEM I GUESS.

Hood_Man 06-17-2013 03:51 AM

He gets stuff wrong pretty frequently. He has everything else that a great commentator needs, good voice, knowledge of the game, presenting skills and dashing good looks. If only he'd fact check more often.

underground 06-17-2013 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hood_Man (Post 7512295)
He gets stuff wrong pretty frequently. He has everything else that a great commentator needs, good voice, knowledge of the game, presenting skills and dashing good looks. If only he'd fact check more often.

:lol:

No way in hell.

Jeffrey573639 06-17-2013 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underground (Post 7512300)
:lol:

No way in hell.

Meh. For a guy who's 50, he ain't too shaby. (This sounds so weird)

Tennis_Hands 06-17-2013 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NatF (Post 7512253)
He talks alot of nonsense and swoons over Andy Murray constantly. Imagine if veroniquem was calling a Nadal match...that's how bad it is ;)

LOL

HAHAHAHA

Nathaniel_Near 06-17-2013 04:09 AM

I like Andrew Castle. There, I said it. Not everyone needs to be some huge expert of the game or the pinnacle of professionalism. He often balances out well with his co comms who can do more of the dirty work. He adds a good sense of drama to the commentary and makes sure that the discussion isn't always super technical.

Scorch 06-17-2013 04:16 AM

He is soooooooo smarmy - it either comes naturally or is because he presented the vapid waste of time that was 'Good Morning Television.'

His commentary just seems lightweight. Like it is aimed at a 70 year old house wife who has never seem a tennis match before.

Homeboy Hotel 06-17-2013 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis_pro (Post 7512284)
His unconditional love for British tennis, especially Murray. Whatever he does it's GOAT worthy.

An example of his biased commentary:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAeFXIIq95A

Federer hits a crazy drop shot and what does he say?

Instead of "what a crazy dropper" he goes "pretty old-fashioned shot, Bunny Austin and Fred Perry would've been pleased with this"

GOOD FOR THEM I GUESS.

Poor example

Rippy 06-17-2013 05:12 AM

I just find him very annoying. I honestly can't explain why. Just the way he talks and phrases things etc.

underground 06-17-2013 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffrey573639 (Post 7512303)
Meh. For a guy who's 50, he ain't too shaby. (This sounds so weird)

Yes it does read what you just posted again. :lol::lol:

Hood_Man 06-17-2013 05:48 AM

One thing I did like was when he was commenting the Wimbledon final last year. I think it was when Murray fell over at the net, but Andrew reacted like a sympathetic mother watching a child fall over. Not hysterical, just very warm hated and if sounded like he genuinely cared.

I remember Virginia Wade reacted in a similar fashion during Heather Watson match once.

In not interested in boring open mindedness, give me a British commentator screaming "C'MON TIM!!" any day. Just as long as they don't get basic facts wrong...

smash hit 06-17-2013 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *Sparkle* (Post 7512276)
There are times when I wish he'd allow a bit more silence, but I still prefer him to the pundits who get all judgemental about players' errors, or who see commentary as an excuse to relive their own past glories.

I agree with you. I think he says it how he sees it and isn't afraid to disagree with his co-presenter/s. I loved his statement at the end of the 2008 Wimbledon final.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Aem72ucNPZo

underground 06-17-2013 06:23 AM

Basically Andrew Castle used to be alright, but with Murray in his prime and achieving good results he starts to drool over him more and more.

woodrow1029 06-17-2013 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hood_Man (Post 7512295)

Seriously? Knowledge of what game?