Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   One-handers, What type of Grip do you use? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=467256)

johnchung907 06-19-2013 06:40 AM

One-handers, What type of Grip do you use?

What grip do you use on your one-handed backhand? Do you find the more extreme your backhand grip is, the easier it is to hit high balls?

BlueB 06-19-2013 09:47 AM

Eastern.
It's funny, I wanted to use the Continental, but somehow racquet always rotated to Eastern position when I switched grips, so I learned to play that way...

Dimcorner 06-19-2013 09:50 AM

Mostly SW, sometimes a little more.

boramiNYC 06-19-2013 10:00 AM

extreme grip does not make hitting high balls any easier. a correct technique and good execution do.

if you have hard time dealing with high balls, there is problem with your understanding of the correct technique or your body is not able to execute it.

Bartelby 06-19-2013 10:23 AM

Strangely enough, I find the sw easier and very comfortable with a Head racquet grip.

mikeler 06-19-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimcorner (Post 7517281)
Mostly SW, sometimes a little more.

This is what I used when I was employing the 1 hander.

LeeD 06-19-2013 12:42 PM

1hbh slice backhand, for top of the head to below my shins, conti grip with a slight twist towards eastern forehand, taken late and to the side.
1hbh topspin, for return of serves, passing shots, and drilling the netperson, eastern. It handles top of the head down to shin high no problem, just needs a slightly earlier prep than my slice. Taken about 10" to a foot in front of my hitting shoulder.
I find strong grips have a small sweetspot, need to be taking the ball much earlier, and that doesn't work against deep incoming balls.

tennis_hack 06-19-2013 01:19 PM

semi-western.

The guy who said a little more than sw - wtf is that!? An eastern forehand grip turned round to hit backhands with!? That is wrist-breaking stuff.

10isfreak 06-19-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boramiNYC (Post 7517304)
Extreme grip does not make hitting high balls any easier. a correct technique and good execution do.

As the grip becomes more extreme, the face of the racket gets more closed. Because of this, the clean contact for a top spin stroke is easier to achieve on higher balls -- of course, all other things equal. It's not to say that your grip will determine everything, but it's one thing out of many which makes a difference.

So, I have to disagree with your post. A more extreme grip WILL make hitting higher balls easier. However, executing the movement properly is just as important as holding the racket correctly!
Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis_hack
semi-western.
The guy who said a little more than sw - wtf is that!? An eastern forehand grip turned round to hit backhands with!? That is wrist-breaking stuff.

That's a slight exaggeration, but I do contend with you that there might be little point in going anywhere further. Of course, comfort is also important... if he can make it happen, who are we to tell him he's doing it wrong?
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler
This is what I used when I was employing the 1 hander.

And because of one of your posts, I now do the same. I'll never go back to an eastern backhand grip!

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD
I find strong grips have a small sweetspot, need to be taking the ball much earlier, and that doesn't work against deep incoming balls.

Having tried the western forehand, I felt that too, but not on my backhand. I always feel like I can do something decent off my backhand side. If the ball is deep or if I am forced to hit from a less-than-ideal position, I can still play my backhand. I always hope my opponent doesn't notice I am comfortable hitting it, that he'll be dumb enough to take the bet that every amateur has backhand troubles... hope is a nice thing, but dreams do not always come true XD.

SystemicAnomaly 06-19-2013 02:42 PM

I should qualify my answer. I use a continental grip for hitting BH slice and something close to a standard Eastern BH grip for hitting topspin. I should have selected Conti for the poll since I hit a lot more slice BH shots than topspin shots with the 1-hander. (Will sometimes use 2 hands to hit a topspin shot).

Dimcorner 06-20-2013 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis_hack (Post 7517683)
semi-western.

Not a whole bevel more, but sometimes a little more than SW (maybe to the corner of the bevel tops).