Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Gamma X-2 Stringer frame mount height vs drop weight clutch height (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=467264)

Carlitoboy 06-19-2013 07:41 AM

Gamma X-2 Stringer frame mount height vs drop weight clutch height

Does anyone know why the frame is mounted higher than the clutch of the drop weight? The reason I ask is because on a 2 point (like the X-2) you will notice the frame flexes when you are doing your crosses and applying the weight. I'm thinking the frame wouldn't flex as much if the height of both the frame mount and the top of the clutch was the same... Do you know what I mean?

struggle 06-19-2013 07:48 AM

Yes. And it's a trade off. If the tension assembly is at frame height (to achieve a straight pull), you will lose 360 degree rotation of the racket. Many folks (i'm now in this camp) don't think 360 degree is important as I usually only rotate the racket back and forth, not all the way around.

Nonetheless, even my gamma 6004 still has 360 degree rotation, thus i am also pulling at a downward angle.

Not sure how severe the angle you speak of is, but you could block the tension mech up to raise it with some sort of hunk of metal, i'd think.

Also, in theory if you raise the tension mech to level with the frame you are eliminating some friction from grommets/downward angle and getting a truer tension?? I'd guess so.

rich s 06-19-2013 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlitoboy (Post 7517022)
Does anyone know why the frame is mounted higher than the clutch of the drop weight?

to provide for 360 deg rotation...

Irvin 06-19-2013 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rich s (Post 7517969)

That and by keeping a more consistent bend angle at the frame you get a more even tension on every string.

struggle 06-20-2013 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 7517998)
That and by keeping a more consistent bend angle at the frame you get a more even tension on every string.

isn't this the exact opposite of what you normally say regarding this issue?

Irvin 06-20-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlitoboy (Post 7517022)
Does anyone know why the frame is mounted higher than the clutch of the drop weight? ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by rich s (Post 7517969)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 7517998)

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbuggle (Post 7519407)
isn't this the exact opposite of what you normally say regarding this issue?

I certainly hope not, if I ever did I was flat out wrong. My stringer has a Wise tension head with the Gamma Adapter which raises the level of the gripper to the level of the string bed. So if I am pulling on the center strings (mains and/or crosses) the tension pulled is just about exactly the same as the reference tension or what I have the tension set at. when I pull the outer mains or top and bottom crosses there is a bend of the string at the frame and the greater the bend the more the friction and the lower the tension. I did a video to demonstrate that.

If the tensioner gripper is mounted below the string bed the tension being pulled on the string instide the frame will never be the same as the tension pulled on the string outside the frame because of the surface friction at point where the string bends causes a tension loss. Until the get to the outside string where the horizontal bend is greater than the vertical bend of the string (with the tensioner gripper below the level of the stringbed) the tension will remain constant. With the gripper at the same level as the string bed the tension being applied to the center string (mains and crosses) will be greater. So if your tensioner gripper is the same as the level of the string bed you will have an automatic proportional stringer because as the angle of the bend increases the tension goes down.

Don't ask if that is good or bad because I have no idea.

struggle 06-20-2013 12:22 PM

ok, i won't ask for poof either, but i hear ya.

Carlitoboy 06-20-2013 05:47 PM

Thanks for the info guys!

...gamma adaptor. Interesting. Is there one that fits the X2?

struggle 06-21-2013 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlitoboy (Post 7520329)
Thanks for the info guys!

...gamma adaptor. Interesting. Is there one that fits the X2?

the gamma adapter is for the Wise electronic tension head.

check with wise to see if it fits the x-2 (they have a website).

Irvin 06-21-2013 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbuggle (Post 7521613)
the gamma adapter is for the Wise electronic tension head.

check with wise to see if it fits the x-2 (they have a website).

The Gamma Adapter is used to raise the Wise tension head up two inches to the level of the stringbed on a lockout machine. It will not fit on an X2. There is a Dropweight adapter used to mount a Wise tension head on the X2,

Carlitoboy 02-03-2014 12:37 PM

I finally got around to customizing my Gamma X-2 stringer to get the top of the clutch level with the string bed of a mounted racquet. I strung a racquet, and voilą! no more frame contortion! I improvised my makeshift adapter that gives me some extra height plus I had to find longer M6 screws made up for the additional height so I could bolt down the drop weight assembly back onto the base. It looks ghetto but it works like a charm!

I'll post pics shortly.

Carlitoboy 03-01-2014 01:19 AM

Here are the pics of the customization I did To the gamma x-2.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/khi0lggz4cvdwdi/IN6V5AT1kh

Irvin 03-01-2014 02:10 AM

You lost your 360* rotation and you have to pull the string in the throat either over or under the throat pieces but if it works for you that is all that matters.

Carlitoboy 03-01-2014 09:38 AM

Correct, which is the same technique used on the popular Prince NEOS 1000 machine.

Since doing this customization I'm finding a more consistent tension in the string bed with all my string jobs so far. Right now I'm using NXT 16 on my aeropro drive racquets at 56lbs and I always get a perfect A# note when I bounce the racquet off my palm, on every string job so far, which I never was able to achieve previously. To be honest, I never noticed a difference in feel in the first place if there was 0.25 lbs of a difference from racquet to racquet, but it's nice to know its bang on now. Plus ultimately the goal was to reduce frame twisting when using the gamma x-2. So far so good.

lionel_101 03-02-2014 02:02 PM

Is the string coming from the racquet to the tensioner perfectly level, or is it a bit higher or a bit lower and /or does it even matter?

Carlitoboy 03-02-2014 04:44 PM

The clutch happens to be like 1/3 of a centimetre lower when I mount the aeropro because the frame is thick. But when I mount my youtek speed or my old Kblade 98 it's perfectly level because those frames are thinner.

lionel_101 03-02-2014 07:01 PM

Thanks for the info. I like messing with my X-2, even more then stringing with it.

I raised my tensoner by 1 inch, using 4 steel 1 inch spacers and longer M-6 bolts. I used 1 inch spacers, so I could keep using the aluminum turntable ring spacer. The tensioner unit looks like it is on stilts..lol.

Now the tensioner is only 1/8 inch higher then the platform part of the frame support posts, and almost level with the racquets I string.

Going to give it a shot, when I next break some strings.

I restrung a racquet and it went pretty smoothly. It doesn't feel like there is any stress on the racquet as compared to when the tensioner was an inch or more below the racquet and pulling at a steeper downward angle. I don't know if it helps or not, but I think I will keep it like this for awhile.