Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Reuse string by using only one knot (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=467627)

treo 06-22-2013 10:56 PM

Reuse string by using only one knot

This works on my Prince Speedport Black but probably won't work on others unless you wrap string around frame. For one piece job, start a with knot but don't tie off at the end. Leave enough string to clamp and wrap string a few times around the support beam between the O ports then use a zip tie to secure. Do it again on another set of ports.

I use a hybrid and end up with 4 zip ties on top and 2 on the bottom. It will add some weight. No knots on mains and one to start crosses. To reuse string, cut the zip ties and string again.

THESEXPISTOL 06-22-2013 11:35 PM

Tamiya 06-23-2013 07:58 AM

what's main reason for reusing string?

meh, have heard of ppl washing & reusing tinfoil too... yeah it's
Wasteful just throwing it away after 1 use, but hey it all goes to landfill

drgchen 06-23-2013 09:34 AM

There are people who sell used tennis string on the major online auction site, and it appears that people are buying this used cut out polyester string (probably completely dead). If you are hurting that badly, just use the cheapest thick nylon- it used to last me forever.

THESEXPISTOL 06-23-2013 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drgchen (Post 7525963)
If you are hurting that badly, just use the cheapest thick nylon- it used to last me forever.

Yes, i think it would also play better and be more consistent.

treo 06-24-2013 11:14 AM

Reusing string is working for me. I was trying out 50lbs and found it to be too loose so I unwrapped and restrung same strings at my usual 54lbs and it plays like a fresh string job. Actually a little better since they are already broken in.

I use 15g syn gut mains and 18g poly crosses. After the mains are notched about half way through I will unwrap and restring. This will regain the tension lost on the poly and the mains will start notching in fresh spots. I'll keep using the expensive poly until it feels bad and use cheap syn gut twice. I usually get 8-10 hours before syn gut breaks but now can get 16-20 and don't have to waste the usable poly crosses.

The Meat 06-24-2013 01:09 PM

Only works for a full bed, lazy people like myself who string two piece to save time can't salvage our strings when we break them in one session...oh the costs...

Tamiya 06-26-2013 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Meat (Post 7530547)
Only works for a full bed, lazy people like myself who string two piece to save time can't salvage our strings when we break them in one session...oh the costs...

ex mains recycle as cross, then into smaller frames & squash... :shock:

struggle 06-27-2013 08:35 AM

maybe if i lived in a third world country, played barefoot amongst wild things and strung my rackets bare handed....

zapvor 06-28-2013 10:18 PM

wow........someone come up with reuse string with no knots please

SFrazeur 06-28-2013 11:16 PM

Treat yourself. Spend the $2 for new mains.

The Meat 06-28-2013 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tamiya (Post 7541060)
ex mains recycle as cross, then into smaller frames & squash... :shock:

Not possible for me, midsize 16x19 requires me to have at least 15ft of string to barely finish the crosses. I always break mains, never crosses.

I would have to get the big bubba and break on the very end of the mains to get that 15ft.

Lol who plays squash, badminton/platform tennis is where it's at. :)
Badminton helps with lobs and smashes, platform tennis is pretty good if you play with friends at the service box, great volley battles.
I don't really see the fun in squash, it doesn't really help in tennis.

Tamiya 06-29-2013 01:40 AM

ahh but my badminton sticks can't use tennis string, even 1.10mm would be ridiculous ;)

Torres 06-29-2013 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Meat (Post 7547146)
Not possible for me, midsize 16x19 requires me to have at least 15ft of string to barely finish the crosses.

Although I don't agree with the premise of this thread, it is possible to restring with shorter lengths. This should be 16x19 for instance:

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/...psb126fda0.jpg

The Meat 06-29-2013 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torres (Post 7547277)
Although I don't agree with the premise of this thread, it is possible to restring with shorter lengths. This should be 16x19 for instance:

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/...psb126fda0.jpg

Is the playability affected at all?

Torres 06-29-2013 03:19 AM

^ Its not something I've tried very much. I suspect that the only string that would cope with being restrung / reused would something that has high elasticity (dynamic stifness?) properties ie something that can stretch and stretch back again.

Natural gut may work, but by the by the time that you reuse it, I would have thought it would be already be pretty frayed, which would defeat the point of reusing it.

Poly I suspect would be dreadful given that the most/all of its elasticity would already have been pulled out of it, and restringing it would probably make it worse and even harder on the arm. Even prestretching a poly too much kills its elasticity and makes it play horribly.

Nylon I don't know about as I've never tried restringing it. Also once nylon stretches, it doesn't stretch back, so over time, I suspect you would end up with a stiffer string with less and less elasticity as well as high string friction (ie less spin) due to string wear. Given the cost of synthetic gut, I'm not sure that there's much point in reusing it.

Monogut ZX (a unique material that's not poly nor nylon) worked very well when the mains were reused as a cross with fresh poly mains but it would be something I would have repeat a few times to verify the results.

Overall, I'm pretty sceptical about trying to reuse the same piece of string from a complete full bed as another full bed again.

The Meat 06-29-2013 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torres (Post 7547316)
Deleted to save space, look at post 16 for quote.

Ah, thanks.

I was asking more about how the stringbed felt with the same string in the mains and part of the crosses, compared to the feeling of a complete hybrid.
I've always wanted to try the Lendl setup with gut in the center surrounded with poly.

Torres 06-29-2013 03:55 AM

It felt pretty good. Maybe slightly softer and less crisp, but comfortable and sufficiently powerful. Then again that Monogut ZX is made from quite a unique material, so I thought it might be different to poly or nylon when reused (as a cross). I doubt you could reuse it more than once or twice though.

zaskar1 06-29-2013 04:54 AM

i guess if you are that thirifty, that is your business to reuse string.
when i would break the xcrosses in my hybrid string job, i would just due the broken softer string, and leave the poly, but the poly went dead. so i wasted my time.

string is kind of cheap anyway, if you want save, buy a reel
but to each his own

z

Steve Huff 07-01-2013 05:00 PM

And I thought I'd heard it all when it came to cheapness.