Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Tennis Tips, me playing tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=467991)

Topspinner271 06-25-2013 11:43 AM

Tennis Tips, me playing tennis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty3qVnVK83I

What does everyone think? I'll upload another video of me playing tennis in the next few days :) as I changed rackets recently.

LeeD 06-25-2013 12:13 PM

You hit OK, possibly lower level junior 14's, possibly strong 3.5 adult, but you expend too much energy with your somewhat awkward style and I suspect you mishit a lot in tournaments against your peers.
Look at the way your hitting partner/coach calmly hits his shots. That is what you are looking for. Look at Fed, DJ, or Murray. Their bodies are much more upright and stable, more balanced, and don't lean one way or another.
All your leaning of the upper body leads to vision problems when you hit against a compeitior's shots. In the vid, you are being fed easy balls.
Nice wide stance, lots of good footwork.
Oh, "lower level junior 14's" is not a slight. I played a 14 year old at the top of his age group, who could easily practice with the UCBerkeley varsity singles players.

Lukhas 06-25-2013 01:58 PM

I only have one good advice: keep your feet on the ground when you hit. That helped me big time, I think it can help you too.

Topspinner271 06-25-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7534122)
You hit OK, possibly lower level junior 14's, possibly strong 3.5 adult, but you expend too much energy with your somewhat awkward style and I suspect you mishit a lot in tournaments against your peers.
Look at the way your hitting partner/coach calmly hits his shots. That is what you are looking for. Look at Fed, DJ, or Murray. Their bodies are much more upright and stable, more balanced, and don't lean one way or another.
All your leaning of the upper body leads to vision problems when you hit against a compeitior's shots. In the vid, you are being fed easy balls.
Nice wide stance, lots of good footwork.
Oh, "lower level junior 14's" is not a slight. I played a 14 year old at the top of his age group, who could easily practice with the UCBerkeley varsity singles players.

no idea what a 3.5 adult is. I'm not from the US.
But I did youtube that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5PKfedKQoI I can definitely beat those two easily. 0 and 0.

But I agree with the leaning part. I've noticed that i expend alot of energy and i'm forcing the ball a bit too much.

Topspinner271 06-25-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lukhas (Post 7534527)
I only have one good advice: keep your feet on the ground when you hit. That helped me big time, I think it can help you too.

Been working on becoming more stable and upright on the ball with head straight and not moving. Agreed thanks.

Topspin Shot 06-25-2013 02:31 PM

Don't worry. You're not 3.5. I'm not an NTRP expert, but I'd say 4.5-5.0, if you can set up points as well as you can trade groundies. Other than that, everything LeeD says is right. Your hitting partner is much more stable when he hits, which gives me the idea that in a real match, he'd beat you pretty easily because he's not wasting energy. I think you're trying to loop it too much for topspin rather than just letting it flow. This isn't table tennis; keeping your arm fluid and using the kinetic chain should get you all the spin you need.

cluckcluck 06-25-2013 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspinner271 (Post 7534597)
no idea what a 3.5 adult is. I'm not from the US.
But I did youtube that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5PKfedKQoI I can definitely beat those two easily. 0 and 0.

But I agree with the leaning part. I've noticed that i expend alot of energy and i'm forcing the ball a bit too much.

I doubt that very much. You seem to just want to blast the ball with every stroke. Thus your consistency goes down significantly.
If you were to take some of that power off your shots and be a lot more fluid with your strokes and aim a bit lower, you might have a chance.
I think your game would crumble quickly under any amount of pressure.

LeeD 06-25-2013 02:41 PM

I think the vid was representative of the bottom layer of 3.5 tennis.
At the higher levels, you see 15 shot rallies, balls landing mostly deeper than service line, some real serves, and consistent topspin forehands.
And some 3.5's have just decended to that level, from somewhere above 4.5.
Hitting well doesn't translate to playing well against experienced competitors. We often see guys with "4.5" looking strokes, smoother and much stronger than OP's, actually lose to wily 3.5 who mix in various spins, good placements, and varying depths.
Hitting against your coach, being fed balls, is not representative of OP's actual match play ablilities.

Topspinner271 06-25-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lukhas (Post 7534527)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspin Shot (Post 7534619)
Don't worry. You're not 3.5. I'm not an NTRP expert, but I'd say 4.5-5.0, if you can set up points as well as you can trade groundies. Other than that, everything LeeD says is right. Your hitting partner is much more stable when he hits, which gives me the idea that in a real match, he'd beat you pretty easily because he's not wasting energy. I think you're trying to loop it too much for topspin rather than just letting it flow. This isn't table tennis; keeping your arm fluid and using the kinetic chain should get you all the spin you need.

Well my hitting partner is a former 1300 atp player. But yes thanks, hitting through the ball more.

Topspinner271 06-25-2013 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cluckcluck (Post 7534621)
I doubt that very much. You seem to just want to blast the ball with every stroke. Thus your consistency goes down significantly.
If you were to take some of that power off your shots and be a lot more fluid with your strokes and aim a bit lower, you might have a chance.
I think your game would crumble quickly under any amount of pressure.

Cheers. It was the last point before water break though.

Topspinner271 06-25-2013 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7534643)
I think the vid was representative of the bottom layer of 3.5 tennis.
At the higher levels, you see 15 shot rallies, balls landing mostly deeper than service line, some real serves, and consistent topspin forehands.
And some 3.5's have just decended to that level, from somewhere above 4.5.
Hitting well doesn't translate to playing well against experienced competitors. We often see guys with "4.5" looking strokes, smoother and much stronger than OP's, actually lose to wily 3.5 who mix in various spins, good placements, and varying depths.
Hitting against your coach, being fed balls, is not representative of OP's actual match play ablilities.

I didn't ask you to rate my match play ability.... I asked you to give me tips on technique and thank you you did. So no need to go any further and extrapolate.

LeeD 06-25-2013 02:47 PM

Sure, just shut out what you don't want to hear.
YOU posted what you thought was representative of "3.5" level tennis. Personally, I've never seen two guys move so slow and be so inconsistent in "3.5" level tennis.
League 3.5 players would easily beat those guys bagels foreever, but are still 3.5's.

Topspinner271 06-25-2013 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7534661)
Sure, just shut out what you don't want to hear.
YOU posted what you thought was representative of "3.5" level tennis. Personally, I've never seen two guys move so slow and be so inconsistent in "3.5" level tennis.
League 3.5 players would easily beat those guys bagels foreever, but are still 3.5's.

To be fair, I'm not from the US so i have no idea what 3.5 means but i youtubed it and i saw the first video and its pretty awful!
Same goes to other guy i guess, you cant tell from one point if my ''game is going to crumble under any pressure''.
But i thank you for your tips :) im training tomorrow, a month later from that video, and ill post a video.

cluckcluck 06-25-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspinner271 (Post 7534645)
Well my hitting partner is a former 1300 atp player. But yes thanks, hitting through the ball more.

He's feeding you balls really. It's an easy setup for you to look your best. I'd say, settle down on both wings.

Topspinner271 06-26-2013 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cluckcluck (Post 7534695)
He's feeding you balls really. It's an easy setup for you to look your best. I'd say, settle down on both wings.

Yeah to look at technique. No point in him blasting the balls. And actually i'm pretty consistent in matches, i lose matches because i dont go for shots more.

Topspinner271 06-26-2013 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cluckcluck (Post 7534695)

But yes ok.

10sLifer 06-26-2013 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspinner271 (Post 7533997)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty3qVnVK83I

What does everyone think? I'll upload another video of me playing tennis in the next few days :) as I changed rackets recently.

Reset Loop On The Backhand - When you take the racquet low and then high again. Waste time. Never seen someone do it on the groundstrokes and have a great return of serve as your only ever ready for topspin instead of a flatter drive back, when that 130mph bomb comes in. Ofcourse I could run off 20 pros that do it on the tour. If they jumped off a bridge would you?

Interesting how the beginning of the film you can't see it. Same reason no one sees it. They follow the ball and never really see the player prepare.

Your movement is rhythmic. You arrive as the ball arrives. Although this notion of staying in the rhythm has become rampant, it doesn't make sense. You should be preparing in front of the rhythm as sometimes the ball comes faster and you also might want to take the ball on the rise, which is not in the typical "bounce - hit" rhythm.

TennisCJC 06-27-2013 08:15 PM

10sLifer, I agree the 2 handed take back is wasting a bit of time - initial take back is very low, and then he lifts racket head to prepare for forward swing. Eliminating this hitch should give you a bit more time and a more consistent backhand. Some pros have this hitch but not to the degree that you do. Just keep the head of the racket up when you turn your shoulders so you don't have to lift it up before you start your forward swing.

Here's a good video for 2 hbh instruction.

Overall you hit great and the drop on the BH take back is the only significant flaw I can see.

newpball 06-27-2013 08:34 PM

Two things that come immediately to my mind is: get rid of the jump before each shot and your movements need to be smoother, with more feeling.

I think it is very much like martial arts first you must learn how to root so that you can perform a stable and consistent stroke.

TennisCJC 06-28-2013 03:53 AM

here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PvSJP7CRZM