Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Dustin Brown...bringing back forhand slices!!! (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=468221)

Thepowerofchoice 06-26-2013 02:35 PM

Dustin Brown...bringing back forhand slices!!!

Brown is so much fun to watch. I really like the way he mix things up especially his forehand slices. I use slice-forehand as one of my favorite shot and its nice to see it in such a high level of tennis. I love his game, just Awesome!

LeeD 06-26-2013 05:17 PM

Pick your surfaces carefully.
A hard slice forehand on clay doesn't faze anyone.
A hard slice forehand on grass can be effective, just like it can work on cement courts. But placement is more important, depth and control.

Ronaldo 06-26-2013 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7540827)
Pick your surfaces carefully.
A hard slice forehand on clay doesn't faze anyone.
A hard slice forehand on grass can be effective, just like it can work on cement courts. But placement is more important, depth and control.

Forehand slice return of serve or approach can be really effective in doubles. Especially when players dump those slices into the net.

Larrysümmers 06-26-2013 05:36 PM

I dig his Marley tshirt at the interview

Thepowerofchoice 06-26-2013 06:56 PM

I wonder why don't more people use forehand slice. I play squash also so tennis forehand slice feel pretty natural for me. I love chopping it down to the forehand side of top spinners w full western grip. They do not seem to like that super low skidish ball with some pace :)

LeeD 06-26-2013 07:00 PM

Herd mentality. Lots of posts on how to get MORE topspin.
What they need is to place their shots better in the opponent's court, and do it consistently.
Underspin has the stigma of "old man's tennis".

Ronaldo 06-26-2013 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7541153)
Herd mentality. Lots of posts on how to get MORE topspin.
What they need is to place their shots better in the opponent's court, and do it consistently.
Underspin has the stigma of "old man's tennis".

Less Effort

LeeD 06-26-2013 08:09 PM

Less effort for sure, and better depth placement, although without the spin and speed of a heavy topspin ball.

Rozroz 06-27-2013 12:32 AM

didn't Connors use that a lot? and also even a 2HBH slice.
i find that for me it's even more stable than the FH slice.

mikeler 06-27-2013 04:56 AM

I love the forehand slice "squash shot" when pulled out wide to my forehand. The DTL forehand slice approach is often necessary when running up to short balls.

looseleftie 06-27-2013 05:48 AM

Looking forward to watching him tomorrow, he went for broke against Hewitt, it worked! Wondering whether he can keep it up, he makes quite a few unforced errors though..

He seems like he has a lot of positives about his game, just don't know whether he can repeat it again.. Must admit, he certainly has a swagger to his game, kinda like him, and love the fact that at the end of the game, he was very emotional, just love sport, and how it brings this out in some people... I'll be rooting for him, and I'm Aussie!!

Hopefully he can get that 189 ranking down a bit, and hopefully be able to enter more tournaments without having to qualify, or playing lower level stuff...

Ronaldo 06-27-2013 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 7542041)
I love the forehand slice "squash shot" when pulled out wide to my forehand. The DTL forehand slice approach is often necessary when running up to short balls.

Its Magic, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP_Hylsddd4

BaselineB 06-27-2013 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by looseleftie (Post 7542146)

Hopefully he can get that 189 ranking down a bit, and hopefully be able to enter more tournaments without having to qualify, or playing lower level stuff...

+1

I like his style, reminds me of Monfils :)

pushing_wins 06-27-2013 12:44 PM

was that chest pump cmon directed at hewitt after that diving volley?

sureshs 06-27-2013 12:50 PM

Interesting thing is that he said on TV that this is how he was taught to play. Whoever taught him had this strategy in mind and believed in it.

TCF 06-27-2013 02:56 PM

Actually his style is very common in the juniors with the boys. We train with some 9-10 year olds who have some of the most amazing forehand slices you will ever see. It works for them up through the 12s. Go to a top B12 tournament and you will see some crazy slices and spins.

At a certain point though the heavy deep topspin coming at them, and the increasing court coverage of the opponents, makes it less effective so they move away from it. Brown's singles record of 12-27, even though he is a great athlete who started tennis at age 5, reflects why that style is not more common. It simply gets overwhelmed at the highest levels of tennis often enough to get weeded out.

That being said, he is fun to watch and I think more guys should retain at least some of those slicing and dicing skills that work for them so well as little kids.

LeeD 06-27-2013 03:00 PM

While a forehand slice is needed for return of some serves, approach shots, and retrieving wide balls, as a groundie, it shouldn't be used too often, and should be used more as a change of pace or a surprise shot once your opponent is pummelling your normal topspin forehands.
A topspin forehand not only goes faster, but creates more angles.

TCF 06-27-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7543631)
While a forehand slice is needed for return of some serves, approach shots, and retrieving wide balls, as a groundie, it shouldn't be used too often, and should be used more as a change of pace or a surprise shot once your opponent is pummelling your normal topspin forehands.
A topspin forehand not only goes faster, but creates more angles.

We have one little guy in our group who LOVES the forehand slice and has a killer one. But over the last 4 months the other kids have grown wise to it and even can tell his disguise of it. So he went from the top of the group to the middle of the pack. Its a nice tool to the arsenal though.

LeeD 06-27-2013 03:12 PM

Same experience here in Berkeley, at the RoseGarden courts.
Mostly 4.0 doubles, this little guy could hold his own when he broke out his sliced forehand and 2hbh, and 2hForehand topspins.
Lasted maybe a couple months, everyone figured out his game, and he was always paired with the best of the foursome after that.
He went on to play at BTC, a private club, where he's playing their 4.5 leaque doubles.

Thepowerofchoice 06-27-2013 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaselineB (Post 7542254)
+1

I like his style, reminds me of Monfils :)

But I think Brown is better. He has better touch and I like how he goes for broke LOL. I would love to see Monfils and Brown against each other :)