Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   is it really that easy to get a Wild Card into a Challenger? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=468554)

jmnk 06-29-2013 12:46 PM

is it really that easy to get a Wild Card into a Challenger?

I'm confused.

According to the order of play for Nielsen Pro Challenger posted here:

http://nielsenprotennis.files.wordpr...er-of-play.pdf

one of the participant with the wild card is Rajendra Kedam. A quick check on USTA tennislink shows that he plays in NTPR 4.0 tournaments:

https://tennislink.usta.com/Tourname...%2fZEbzA%3d%3d

so, I have two questions;
1) is it really possible that a player with NTPR 4.0 ranking gets a wild card into a regular Challenger event?
2) what do I make out of it if he actually won a set in a qualifying round (meaning that while he lost the first round qualifying match, he was not that entirely overmatched)

Torres 06-29-2013 01:35 PM

That's just the pre-tournament 1st qualifying round is it not? He would have had to have had to won all 4 rounds in qualifying to have got into the main draw but lost in the 1st round of qualifying.

His background is likely to be from abroad as he has no USTA record prior to this year and is probably just using the NTRP tournaments to find his level. Not uncommon. But he'll be higher than 4.0 given that he's winning all his matches at that level pretty easily, but he's clearly not at challenger level.

gmatheis 06-29-2013 01:37 PM

Look at this page and select mens 4.0 singles then click his name in the draw and you get a larger record of his tournaments

http://tennislink.usta.com/Tournamen....aspx?T=133108

It looks like he plays open (although it's not like he wins them all) and then he has a couple 4.0 tournies thrown in where he hasn't lost a set except when he withdrew. Perhaps where he is there isn't much tennis and the organizers allow him to play 4.0 sometimes (assuming there isn't anything higher at those tournies)

Still looks a little weak to be getting a wildcard into a futures ... but maybe someone who knows a little more can shed some light.

josofo 06-29-2013 02:00 PM

I have told this story before. A local 5.0 showed up at the challenger and asked to get in (the quailes) they let him in and he lost 6-0 6-3 to a young dimitri tursenov

jmnk 06-29-2013 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torres (Post 7548790)
That's just the pre-tournament 1st qualifying round is it not? He would have had to have had to won all 4 rounds in qualifying to have got into the main draw but lost in the 1st round of qualifying.

His background is likely to be from abroad as he has no USTA record prior to this year and is probably just using the NTRP tournaments to find his level. Not uncommon. But he'll be higher than 4.0 given that he's winning all his matches at that level pretty easily, but he's clearly not at challenger level.

Exactly the point. Judging from his official USTA results it seems he is not really close to a challenger level player. So why would the organizers give him WC? This is a tournament in the Chicago suburb. One would think there's plenty of players form colleges nearby, no?

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmatheis (Post 7548795)
Look at this page and select mens 4.0 singles then click his name in the draw and you get a larger record of his tournaments

http://tennislink.usta.com/Tournamen....aspx?T=133108

It looks like he plays open (although it's not like he wins them all) and then he has a couple 4.0 tournies thrown in where he hasn't lost a set except when he withdrew. Perhaps where he is there isn't much tennis and the organizers allow him to play 4.0 sometimes (assuming there isn't anything higher at those tournies)

Still looks a little weak to be getting a wildcard into a futures ... but maybe someone who knows a little more can shed some light.

yes indeed. plus this is a Challenger, a step above futures. (And he actually did lose sets in those 4.0 NTPR tournaments).

Quote:

Originally Posted by josofo (Post 7548862)
I have told this story before. A local 5.0 showed up at the challenger and asked to get in (the quailes) they let him in and he lost 6-0 6-3 to a young dimitri tursenov

I suppose that must be it. I still can't believe that organizers of a Challenger in Chicago suburb can't fill the qualifying draw with players with at least established college results.

asusundevils1971 06-29-2013 10:00 PM

I suppose that must be it. I still can't believe that organizers of a Challenger in Chicago suburb can't fill the qualifying draw with players with at least established college results.[/quote]

Maybe they just want to fill the qualifying draw up. Take his free money and let the guy play one round in the qualifying. No harm and no foul..

Torres 06-30-2013 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asusundevils1971 (Post 7549560)
No harm and no foul..

Agreed. It's not a big deal. Maybe another player pulled out at short notice and they needed to fill a spot in the qualifying rounds with other reserve players not being available. And maybe they were unsure of his level as his playing history is mostly abroad. There are tournaments all over the place, and you're always occasionally have the odd person who's at the wrong level. No big deal.

Rob_C 06-30-2013 05:54 PM

It's simple, not enough ranked players signed in to play the qualies by the deadline on Fri night. If you look at the draw, there were still 8 byes after all the WCs were handed out.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/posting/2013/228/qs.pdf

Milan 07-04-2013 03:06 AM

There's no money in Qualies anyways, who cares?

And, to get a Wild Card in the Main Draw isn't hard either.. it's called "paying under the table" and happens every weeek,.

coolschreiber 07-12-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by josofo (Post 7548862)

Wow! A 5.0 took 3 games of Tursunov??? I find that hard to believe, that dude must be above 5.0.

rajah84 07-12-2013 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolschreiber (Post 7586943)
Wow! A 5.0 took 3 games of Tursunov??? I find that hard to believe, that dude must be above 5.0.

If you knew Tursunov when he was younger you'd believe it.

Doubles 07-12-2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajah84 (Post 7587100)
If you knew Tursunov when he was younger you'd believe it.

Mental problems? Inconsistency? I find it hard (though not impossible) to believe Tursunov would drop even 3 games to a 5.0.

NLBwell 07-13-2013 01:06 PM

i'd guess he wasn't very focused since he knew the opponent was no threat to him.

josofo 07-13-2013 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NLBwell (Post 7588574)
i'd guess he wasn't very focused since he knew the opponent was no threat to him.

this is what the guy said when i asked him about it 8 years later.

i remember the first time i posted this, there was some debate about how flukey it is for a 5.0 to lose a set 6-3 to a pro. i thought it was more of a natural part of the game of tennis (people dont focus quite as well when they are winning so easily) . the tt forum thought it was more of a complete fluke.

kedam 08-08-2013 11:19 AM

hello

Hi there,

I am the one you guys are talking about, well idk how i play, but i practice harder and train harder want to become a ranked tennis player , since the before night , i didn't know that i can play that tournament and that is my first tournament and i scared alot otherwise i would easily win the first round. Ok coming to the point, acctually they gave me a oppurtunity to play with one of the ranked 190 faruk dustov for practice hitting partner and i practice in the same courts to, so i went to there , i did practiced with him and he told me, hey for qualifying any one can sign in, go and sign in there are less people, so you might play, then i went to there and i did sign in, so less players and i got a chance and even i asked them before they didnt responded back to me. I lost my hope at all , atleast i can practice and i gonna know how they play and all those stuff , luckyly got a chance and played and even after that, i mail to another director for another challenger they said , if there are less people in sign in for qualies, we will take you, but i didnt go. I know i have good game that, i can play with guys like 190 and others, but i am smart , still learning, i hope, its clear for everyone. Nothing offence , but even i do understand about others thinking about me. I am happy. Looking forward. See guys, idk who you guys are but just sharing, my dream is to get into top 100, but idk i can make it or not. But working on it. Thank you guys.

kedam 08-08-2013 11:21 AM

any questions or any suggestion , please free to ask.

sureshs 08-08-2013 11:24 AM

I was once asked to sign up for an Open because they needed the money. I was told that at least I would get to play 1 match.

Aurellian 08-08-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kedam (Post 7643773)
Hi there,

I am the one you guys are talking about, well idk how i play, but i practice harder and train harder want to become a ranked tennis player , since the before night , i didn't know that i can play that tournament and that is my first tournament and i scared alot otherwise i would easily win the first round. Ok coming to the point, acctually they gave me a oppurtunity to play with one of the ranked 190 faruk dustov for practice hitting partner and i practice in the same courts to, so i went to there , i did practiced with him and he told me, hey for qualifying any one can sign in, go and sign in there are less people, so you might play, then i went to there and i did sign in, so less players and i got a chance and even i asked them before they didnt responded back to me. I lost my hope at all , atleast i can practice and i gonna know how they play and all those stuff , luckyly got a chance and played and even after that, i mail to another director for another challenger they said , if there are less people in sign in for qualies, we will take you, but i didnt go. I know i have good game that, i can play with guys like 190 and others, but i am smart , still learning, i hope, its clear for everyone. Nothing offence , but even i do understand about others thinking about me. I am happy. Looking forward. See guys, idk who you guys are but just sharing, my dream is to get into top 100, but idk i can make it or not. But working on it. Thank you guys.

Good luck to you.

sureshs 08-08-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kedam (Post 7643773)
Hi there,

May I ask how old you are and how long you have been playing?

woodrow1029 08-08-2013 12:25 PM

Anyone can sign in, but you can't be directly entered into ATP World Tour or Challenger Tour events without a wildcard if you don't have a ranking. That tournament did not have a full qualifying sign in, so if that is the case, the tournament director can decide to give wildcards to unranked players to fill up more of the draw. But, without a wildcard into qualifying, he could not get in without a ranking, and had there been a full draw sign-in for qualifying, it would have been a lot harder for him to get a wildcard.