Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pro Match Results and Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Jim Courier analysis of Murray match (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=469692)

Nostradamus 07-09-2013 08:42 AM

Jim Courier analysis of Murray match

Courier stated that If Murray went on to lose that 3rd set after having 5 match points, Murray would have gone on to lose the match in 5 sets. Do you agree ??

courier's reason is Andy would have been devastated beyond help and would not have recovered after dumping so many match points in 3rd set.:confused:

veroniquem 07-09-2013 08:50 AM

Wow Courier is really in love with the Djoker :) (I can relate, I enjoy watching him play much more than Murray myself)
Nonsense though. Murray would have won this match in 4 or in 5 probably as well (Did Courier miss the USO 2012 final :confused:)

dirtballer 07-09-2013 08:55 AM

I think Novak would have won the 4th set but because of the heat and the fact that Novak had just played the long 5 set match against Delpo, I think Andy would have rebounded and won the 5th set.

hrstrat57 07-09-2013 08:56 AM

I would have liked Novak's chances.....

Antonio Puente 07-09-2013 08:58 AM

Murray said something similar himself. He said he was dead tired and couldn't say what might have happened.

Torres 07-09-2013 09:06 AM

Okay, link to the article.

Nostradamus 07-09-2013 09:11 AM

This guy does not have tennis channel,,obviously. LOL

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torres (Post 7579992)

Article ?? what article ??? NObody is talking about any article... You don't watch Tennis channel post match analysis,,,obviously. :???: or you think Tennis channel does not exist. You are the one previously banned for putting up nothing but trolling in the forum. I am relatively new here.

Antonio Puente 07-09-2013 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torres (Post 7579992)

Other people discussing it, that is. So, unless, for some unknown reason, they are conspiring with Nostradamus, I tend to believe he said it. Not that it matters.

Nostradamus 07-09-2013 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonio Puente (Post 7580012)
Other people discussing it, that is. So, unless, for some unknown reason, they are conspiring with Nostradamus, I tend to believe he said it. Not that it matters.

I am sure Tennis channel will repeat this post match analysis with Courier, MJ Carillo post Wimbledon analysis. I just saw it again about 1 hour ago and it must have been 2nd time I heard it and saw it from Courier.

Have to admit though, Carillo did react like she was surprised when she heard Jim say that. I think Carillo disagreed with what he said but they ended the show right then so Mary didn't have the chance to give her counterpoint.....LOL:)

Emiliano55 07-09-2013 09:59 AM

Well, it doesn't matter if he said ir or not. Truth is that if Djokovic would have ended winning that set after 4 MPs he would probably have won in 5.

spinovic 07-09-2013 10:15 AM

I don't know what Courier did or did not say, but once Andy won the first two sets, I think he'd have won whether it went 3, 4 or 5.

PhrygianDominant 07-09-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spinovic (Post 7580125)
I don't know what Courier did or did not say, but once Andy won the first two sets, I think he'd have won whether it went 3, 4 or 5.

This makes sense to me.

tennis_badger 07-09-2013 01:42 PM

if murray lose that game, it'll be 5-5, and I'd say murray will either win it in 7-5 or in a tie-break.

joker is not winning that third set, his body language says it all, he may be able to hold out a bit longer, but the final outcome is clear no matter what.

ark_28 07-09-2013 02:13 PM

Was supporting Novak but I agree with previous poster.. Novak has so many chances to get back in 4-1 up 2nd set 4-2 up 3rd set but never possessed the body language he wanted to be there, breaking back would have prolonged the match but I don't think it would have altered the outcome on this occasion.

Sid_Vicious 07-09-2013 09:03 PM

I can see Djokovic winning in 5 had Murray blown the lead in the 3rd set. I think Murray's spirit would have been crushed to pieces and the nerves would really start kicking in..

That is just an "if" scenario. Murray played superb tennis to shut the door on Djokovic right there and then.

Nostradamus 07-09-2013 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sid_Vicious (Post 7581415)
I can see Djokovic winning in 5 had Murray blown the lead in the 3rd set. I think Murray's spirit would have been crushed to pieces and the nerves would really start kicking in..

That is just an "if" scenario. Murray played superb tennis to shut the door on Djokovic right there and then.

point of comment from Jim Courier was that if Andy had blown those 5 match points and went on to lose the 3rd set, he felt like Andy could never recover from that. Andy wasn't just trying to win a tennis match, he was carrying the 77 years of frustration of English tennis history.
and Jim just felt like Andy couldn't handle that if he blew all those match points and got broken and lost the 3rd set.

We will never know now. :)

Nostradamus 07-09-2013 10:12 PM

Alas, Just saw it on Tennis channel again. Exact Quote from Jim Courier himself.

"I really think if Andy had lost that game and it was 5-5 in the 3rd set, I would have put all my money on Novak coming back and winning the match in 5 sets"
"I really don't think Andy could have recovered from having those match points, pressure would have been too much" " I liked Novak winning it in 5 sets at that point"

Jim Courier on Tennis Channel with Mary Carillo and Martina Navratilova.

vive le beau jeu ! 07-09-2013 11:36 PM

wow, am i agreeing with the lumberjack on this one ?

bullfan 07-10-2013 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostradamus (Post 7581465)
Alas, Just saw it on Tennis channel again. Exact Quote from Jim Courier himself.

"I really think if Andy had lost that game and it was 5-5 in the 3rd set, I would have put all my money on Novak coming back and winning the match in 5 sets"
"I really don't think Andy could have recovered from having those match points, pressure would have been too much" " I liked Novak winning it in 5 sets at that point"

Jim Courier on Tennis Channel with Mary Carillo and Martina Navratilova.

Yes, I saw before. Don't agree, but well never know.

Btw, Jim Courier was looking awful puffy.

jaybear1909 07-11-2013 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis_badger (Post 7580651)
if murray lose that game, it'll be 5-5, and I'd say murray will either win it in 7-5 or in a tie-break.

joker is not winning that third set, his body language says it all, he may be able to hold out a bit longer, but the final outcome is clear no matter what.

I disagree. Djokovic has done it plenty of times, this time was no different. He looked done against Fed @ the USO down 2 match points but still came through. Murray said at the end that that game took EVERYTHING out of him. You could see how mentally strong Murray was in that game, because Djokovic hit some monsters. Had he been broken his spirit would have been destroyed for at least the rest of the third and most/all of the fourth. The fifth likely would have been a decent one had Murray been able to put it together, but I see Djokovic winning it. Thankfully we can only speculate :).

Loved seeing Murray win. Would have preferred Janowicz/Delpo but Murray was the next best thing.