Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Rallying shot net clearance (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=469829)

GoudX 07-10-2013 12:20 PM

Rallying shot net clearance

Out of curiosity, how much net clearance does everyone here aim for on a neutral rallying forehand?

The kind of shot where you are just aiming to continue the rally, not a net skimming crosscourt put away or a lob.

With all the different playstyles out there I am curious what the average is.

DirtBaller4 07-10-2013 12:23 PM

What I aim for and what I achieve are too very different things.

GoudX 07-10-2013 12:25 PM

Rallying shot net clearance

Out of curiosity, how much net clearance does everyone here aim for on a neutral rallying forehand?

The kind of shot where you are just aiming to continue the rally, not a net skimming crosscourt put away or a lob.

(could a moderator combine this thread with the other, I accidently
double posted somehow)

Dimcorner 07-10-2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtBaller4 (Post 7582523)
What I aim for and what I achieve are too very different things.

So true....
I aim for about 2-3 feet but after the hit it can get anywhere from -3ft to 5ft! :)

5263 07-10-2013 01:02 PM

I'd say about 3' plus or minus a foot on avg, depending on my intentions.
About 1.5' for and mid ct attack, but 3-4' for a normal rally.
5-7 ft if looking to put a high bouncer to the Bh side.

VeeSe 07-10-2013 06:20 PM

I put 4-5 feet but it's definitely less on my backhand where I hit flatter. There I'd say probably 2-3 feet.

TomT 07-10-2013 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoudX (Post 7582517)

I voted 2 to 3 feet. It seems to provide enough safety. Then, if the opportunity presents itself, I hit harder with either slight top or undercut (ie., sort of flat), lower the net clearance, and hope for the best. :) But that's when I'm playing fairly well, which I usually am not. :)

TimothyO 07-10-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeeSe (Post 7583175)
I put 4-5 feet but it's definitely less on my backhand where I hit flatter. There I'd say probably 2-3 feet.

I'm in the exact same boat. I used to hit higher over the net but have recently learned to hit deeper with more spin to keep the shot fast and low. Previously my FH sat up too much. Biggest help: watching ITF juniors events and US Open Qualifiers. Some of the best tennis lessons I've had just observing their swing path and racquet head angle.

LeeD 07-10-2013 08:32 PM

2-3' on topspin rally balls, a bit lower for slice backhand.
If I'm hitting sucessfully corner to corner, I'll lower it by a foot and go flatter/faster.

TimeSpiral 07-11-2013 07:02 AM

I'd swear some of my opponents are aiming twenty feet over that damn net ...

10isfreak 07-11-2013 10:23 AM

I aim for about 2-3 feet for a standard ball. If I want to get the ball higher in the strike zone of my opponent, I go for 4 or 5 feet and add some more spin. When I go for winners from the back court, I still get a good clearance, like a whole foot. The only times you'll see me hit lower than a foot is on an inside-out forehand and it's because there's no shot I can hit flatter and harder than this one.

I love spinning the ball, but it's tiring to hit heavy ground strokes. Since I get a good amount of spin on average, getting tired means lacking penetration in my case... I have to be careful. :lol:

If you want to add to your data, I played a guy the other day who hits very flat. He's a lefty and he just smacks the ball very deep. His strokes nearly all clear the net by a foot, especially forehand side. It's rare that he pops the ball and arcs it like me. The depth cuts on my time a lot and it's very demanding to face a forehand on your backhand wing... very nice to play, overall.

Andres 07-11-2013 11:13 AM

I'd say 3 feet on average.

goran_ace 07-11-2013 02:54 PM

Minimum 3, more like 4-6 feet. In a neutral situation I'm really looking for depth and I'm hitting pretty loopy. I want to push my opponent into the backcourt to (1) open up more angles for me and simultaneously reduce his angles, and (2) hopefully force him to leave one short that I can step in on.

I remember as junior my coach once brought out volleyball netposts and strung a rope across at like 6 feet from the ground. Neutral and defensive strokes had to be above the rope, attacking shots/approaches had to stay below. Great visual aid.

tennis_hack 07-11-2013 03:23 PM

6ft easily. Maybe 6ft plus.

My average rally shot is like a 'fast lob' - my groundstrokes definitely go over the net at overhead (or even jumping overhead) height - not volley height.

TimeSpiral 07-11-2013 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis_hack (Post 7585037)
6ft easily. Maybe 6ft plus.

My average rally shot is like a 'fast lob' - my groundstrokes definitely go over the net at overhead (or even jumping overhead) height - not volley height.

A jumping overhead can hit a ball 12 feet in the air, give or take a foot for athleticism.

10s talk 07-11-2013 05:23 PM

If I play Harold Soloman, or Eddie Dibbs, 10-15 feet

otherwise 2 or 3 feet

HughJars 07-11-2013 07:02 PM

Another 'how long is a piece of string' question...

So many variables here. Court positioning, opponent positioning, surface, speed/top spin of incoming ball.

If you want to just continue a rally then that would normally indicate your on the defence. If your worried about net clearance in these situations then, wow, you really need to asess your priorities.

goran_ace 07-11-2013 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HughJars (Post 7585306)
If you want to just continue a rally then that would normally indicate your on the defence. If your worried about net clearance in these situations then, wow, you really need to asess your priorities.

I'm going to go ahead and disagree with you on this. Net clearace leads to depth. Nothinjg wrong with rallying. If it's not there, it's not there. Move the ball around and wait for your opportunity. If you try to force something that isn't there, more times than not you're just making it easier for your opponent to win.

GoudX 07-12-2013 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HughJars (Post 7585306)
Another 'how long is a piece of string' question...

So many variables here. Court positioning, opponent positioning, surface, speed/top spin of incoming ball.

Defence is when your opponent has got you on the run and your goal has become to delay the end of the point for as long as possible, in hope that your opponent either misses or lets you back into the point. In this case it is not strange to be lobbing the ball back 10ft above the net.

In a neutral rally both players are moving the opponent about the court, attempting to draw an attackable shot without giving the opponent an attackable shot. In this Cassie is important to hit consistent shots which are hard to attack - which is aided by focusing on net clearance, employing lots of topspin and aiming for big targets.

Attacking tennis is played when you get a 'sitter' which you attempt to win the point on, with a single shot or a combo. Often this shot will be played within 2ft of the net, as it could be a sharp angle topspin shot, a flat drive or a slice approach.

HughJars 07-12-2013 03:14 AM

Sorry, I really should of said neutral and defensive situations.

Still, I think there are way too many variables in play to dictate what height the ball is played over the net consistently in these situations. Just my opinion though.

I think that being in a neutral rally doesnt necessarily dictate a specific net clearance height. Same as it doesnt dictate shot type or exact court positioning. You dont have to be playing top spin shots dead down the middle if the conditions or the type of opponent doesnt favour this. You might be in a neutral slicing rally cross court on grass - net clearance will be less than if your on a clay court keeping an opponent at bay behind the baseline who has a great approach shot or net game, or a weakness dealing with shoulder high balls.

Down the line neutral rallies will naturally have greater net clearance cos of the actual height of the net and the decreased distance you need to hit to keep the ball from going long when compared to cross court neutral rallies.

Tennis is such a dynamic sport.