Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pro Match Results and Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Best player never to have won a slam? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=469846)

Terry Tibbs 07-10-2013 01:24 PM

Best player never to have won a slam?

Who is the best male player to have never won a grand slam tournament?

The Doctor 07-10-2013 01:27 PM

Robin Soderling

Terry Tibbs 07-10-2013 01:33 PM

Soderling is a good shout actually and probably more worthy of being on that list than some of the others. I've tried to change it but it won't let me edit and change the poll options.

Terenigma 07-10-2013 01:51 PM

Head says Nalbandian, heart says Henman.

Terry Tibbs 07-10-2013 01:54 PM

Mecir and phillipousis both reached 2 finals and mecir also won gold at the Olympics. Everyone else apart from henman and Haas made 1 final. Henman however did reach 6 slam semi finals.

Down_the_line 07-10-2013 01:56 PM

Is Soderling ever going to come back to tennis or is he done for good?

Peters 07-10-2013 01:57 PM

Ooh, I think I might go for Henman. I know his form of tennis was gradually on the way out in his prime, but he's the one person on that list that genuinely stands apart for me. It's a shame he could never quite snatch that Wimbledon title, especially in that year against Ivanisevic/Rafter..

Terry Tibbs 07-10-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peters (Post 7582859)
Ooh, I think I might go for Henman. I know his form of tennis was gradually on the way out in his prime, but he's the one person on that list that genuinely stands apart for me. It's a shame he could never quite snatch that Wimbledon title, especially in that year against Ivanisevic/Rafter..

Yeah, it's a shame he couldn't have at least reached a final. 6 attempts but never quite managed it. Wimbledon 2001 was his best chance. 2-1 up and in control against ivanisevic and then came the bloody rain. I think he could have beaten rafter in the final. So many what ifs. If only they had a roof then. Henman is one of the best volleyers I've ever seen. On a par with Sampras in my opinion.

pound cat 07-10-2013 02:27 PM

Rios was an amazing player. Too bad he had injuries and liked to paryt too much. Lucky me I saw a Safin/Rios match in Toronto. Safin won and Rios was having back problems them.

He married 3 times and has about 10 children 3 of which are triplets. He was always in trouble. His mind was not always on tennis.

Ríos' career has been marked by a number of controversies.
After achieving the number one in singles, an Argentine reporter ask him what it felt like to be at the same status as Guillermo Vilas; he answered "Vilas? Who's Vilas? He was never No. 1."[citation needed]
He was fined US$10,000 for speeding during the 1998 Stuttgart Indoor tournament.[7]
In a confusing incident, he ran over his physical trainer, Manuel Astorga, with his jeep, leaving him gravely injured in the foot. Astorga was later fired as trainer.[7]
After a magazine published some photos of him dancing seductively with a woman at a Paris disco, his girlfriend (later to be his first wife), Giuliana Sotela, broke up with him. During a Davis Cup press conference, Ríos read a letter, asking Sotela for forgiveness. He ended the press conference in tears.[8]
He was accused by his second wife, María Eugenia Larraín, of throwing her out of his car while driving to visit his daughter in Costa Rica. Larraín arrived at Santiago's airport in dramatic fashion, in a wheelchair and showing multiple bruises on her legs. He claimed those bruises were caused by falling while skiing.[7]
He was arrested in Rome in 2001 after he punched a taxi driver in the nose and then had a fight with the policemen arresting him.[8]
In 2003, while training for a Davis Cup tie with Ecuador, he allegedly urinated on some men in a La Serena bar's bathroom and was later expelled from his hotel after being accused of swimming nude. As a consequence, the Chilean team missed a flight to Ecuador the following day. He later apologized for the incidents.[7][9]
In 2003, he and a friend were expelled from a Santiago bar after insulting other clients and being involved in a brawl with some waiters. Both were arrested and later released.[7]
He reportedly told Monica Seles to move her "fat ***" while on a lunch queue, but he has denied this.[8]
During the 1997 Wimbledon tournament he commented that grass was for "cows and soccer" and not suitable for tennis play.[8]
He was disqualified from the 2000 Mercedes-Benz Cup tennis tournament in Los Angeles, California during a first round match with Gouichi Motomura of Japan and fined US$5,000 for saying "**** you" to the chair umpire.[8]
During a post-match interview at the Basel tournament, he insulted a journalist under his breath after she asked him whether he had Native American ancestry.[10]
He tried to moon some reporters who were recording him while partying outside his apartment in Reñaca.[8]
He fired his coach Larry Stefanki shortly after he became World No. 1, claiming that he wanted to go in a different direction.
He won the Prix Citron 'award' several different years (many in a row) for being the most disagreeable player on tour.

WhiskeyEE 07-10-2013 02:37 PM

Todd Martin should be an option. Made 2 finals only to lose to Pete and Andre (in 5 sets).

Cormorant 07-10-2013 03:08 PM

That list could include Pioline too, as he was surely the equal of a player like Baghdatis.

And there must be some others from the 70s and 80s that should be up for consideration.

Cindysphinx 07-10-2013 03:26 PM

Tsonga? Baghdatis? Seriously? They each made it to one major final and won one set.

Ferrer now has one major final and no sets.

Nalbandian has no major finals.

I miss Soderling. Can you imagine how much fun it would be to see him trying to fill the void left by Rafa and Fed?

Cormorant 07-10-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindysphinx (Post 7582994)
Tsonga? Baghdatis? Seriously? They each made it to one major final and won one set.

Ferrer now has one major final and no sets.

Nalbandian has no major finals.

I miss Soderling. Can you imagine how much fun it would be to see him trying to fill the void left by Rafa and Fed?

Nalbandian made it to the 2002 Wimbledon final.

And Tsonga lost a very tight championship match to Djokovic at the AO.

T-Noone 07-10-2013 04:07 PM

Coria cause he's a boss. Ferrer should be up there too...

Down_the_line 07-10-2013 04:25 PM

Any love for Alex Corretja?

1477aces 07-10-2013 05:47 PM

make another thread with actually good options. a bit more than 10 months ago, this was an easy questions; Murray.

forzamilan90 07-10-2013 06:01 PM

Can't decide, there's a few solid choices.

T-Noone 07-10-2013 06:19 PM

The players with one slam debate has always intrigued me more. Will make a thread with a similar poll.

In the General forum though, that's where it belongs

egn 07-10-2013 06:31 PM

Why isn't Davydneko an option but Baggy is...

Cindysphinx 07-10-2013 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cormorant (Post 7582999)
Nalbandian made it to the 2002 Wimbledon final.

And Tsonga lost a very tight championship match to Djokovic at the AO.

That must have been a snooze of a match. I have no memory of it.