Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   How to get more power on serve: Weight Training (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=470742)

Kilco 07-19-2013 12:08 PM

How to get more power on serve: Weight Training
 
How can I get more power on my serve, and more spin, by having a faster swing.

I am looking for leg exercises, core exercise, shoulder , upper body stuff,

ANYTHING THAT IS USED IN THE KINECTIC CHAIN.

If you guys have any or know of the best exercises to develop the muscles need to add more power on the serve.

Not asking for tips on how to get more power by bending hips or twisting torso, just simply focus on the strength aspect please.

Thanks!

Dimcorner 07-19-2013 12:23 PM

How fast do you hit now? How fast do you want to hit?
How fit are you?

I think for my serve I could probably strengthen my shoulder a bit more doing the baseball pitching band workouts. I feel my weakest point is my shoulder. That said I can hit a better server than most people bigger than me at my level. I'm only 5'7" and 140lbs.

Kilco 07-19-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimcorner (Post 7601553)
How fast do you hit now?

Average 90mp for first service I say. 6"2. 68kg.
Im 20. I want to hit average 1st serve average 120mph or as high as I possibly get to.

BlueB 07-19-2013 12:41 PM

Work on stretching, explosivness and relaxation. No need to bulk up at all.

Kilco 07-19-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueB (Post 7601603)
Work on stretching, explosivness and relaxation. No need to bulk up at all.

No. There is. My upper body, core, legs (not as much) is weak. Why did Murray bulk up? Why is Djokovic, Federer, and all ATP pros stronger than me, why does it help them?

I need to get stronger in the upper body to add more juice to the serve. I ask for exercises to help strengthen my body to allow me more power!

How do you work on explosivness for the serve?

boramiNYC 07-19-2013 12:48 PM

power gain from weight training is very small compared to balance and coordination training. unless you already have stellar coordination weight training can hamper coordination potential. a good coordination training will result in lean, flexible, and strong muscles that's not bulky nor unbalanced with the rest of the body. in conventional weight training it's easy to bulk up on superficial muscles neglecting small stabilizing muscles that're critical for balance and coordination.

Kilco 07-19-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boramiNYC (Post 7601617)
power gain from weight training is very small compared to balance and coordination training. unless you already have stellar coordination weight training can hamper coordination potential. a good coordination training will result in lean, flexible, and strong muscles that's not bulky nor unbalanced with the rest of the body. in conventional weight training it's easy to bulk up on superficial muscles neglecting small stabilizing muscles that're critical for balance and coordination.

All that is very good but I need exercises, words cant help me get stronger. I am weak, some 15/16 year olds are stronger than me.I am naturally weak, like a baby Andy Murray at 15.

rkelley 07-19-2013 01:01 PM

I would think you would want to work on your core and shoulders. Legs too, though I've personally never had good luck lifting weights with my legs. My knees let me know that they were not into this idea at all.

The muscles in your core and shoulders are what really power the serve (and other strokes too). The arm is mostly a whip. The legs add some, but it's not huge.

You should probably get some info on the proper way to train. I know there's different kinds of lifting for different results (strength verses explosiveness for instance). Pushups and pullups and probably never bad.

boramiNYC 07-19-2013 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kilco (Post 7601624)
All that is very good but I need exercises, words cant help me get stronger. I am weak, some 15/16 year olds are stronger than me.I am naturally weak, like a baby Andy Murray at 15.

these are not just words. they are ideas. they can show you which direction to take. getting stronger isn't easy. those kids may not be stronger than you as in maybe you can beat them armwrestling but they can hit a tennis ball harder than you because they have better coordination and balance. so try to improve in those areas. weight training doesn't improve those. that's the idea. if you want a few simple exercises that can make you stronger I don't think you'll find them otherwise we all would be playing amazing tennis on TV.

TomT 07-19-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kilco (Post 7601569)
Average 90mp for first service I say. 6"2. 68kg.
Im 20. I want to hit average 1st serve average 120mph or as high as I possibly get to.

Yeah, that seems too skinny. Diet is a big big part of it. What do you eat? Exercises like pullovers, pullups, standing presses, etc., that exercise your shoulders and upper arms will help you gain muscle in your upper body with the proper diet. But do your homework and don't take my word for it.

I'm about 6' and 175 to 180 lbs. Down from about 210 to 215 a year ago. My serve gets better as I lose weight. But of course 150 lbs (your weight) would be too light even for me and I'm 2 inches shorter than you.

Tossing a bit more out in front and into the court has helped my serve. Really relaxing has also helped.

newpball 07-19-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kilco (Post 7601569)
I want to hit average 1st serve average 120mph or as high as I possibly get to.

Wouldn't we all? :grin:

How often do you practice serve and how long?

Kilco 07-19-2013 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newpball (Post 7601762)
Wouldn't we all? :grin:

How often do you practice serve and how long?

No that much. My aim is a half hour practice every day for the summer. Mostly technical work, hitting spins and stuff with not full on pace.

Kilco 07-19-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boramiNYC (Post 7601723)
these are not just words. they are ideas. they can show you which direction to take. getting stronger isn't easy. those kids may not be stronger than you as in maybe you can beat them armwrestling but they can hit a tennis ball harder than you because they have better coordination and balance. so try to improve in those areas. weight training doesn't improve those. that's the idea. if you want a few simple exercises that can make you stronger I don't think you'll find them otherwise we all would be playing amazing tennis on TV.

They are actually sttronger...some of them. I can hit the ball fine though, thats not the problem. Just maybe if I was stronger I could generate more pace.

newpball 07-19-2013 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kilco (Post 7601773)
No that much. My aim is a half hour practice every day for the summer. Mostly technical work, hitting spins and stuff with not full on pace.

Half our a day of dedicated serve training or just half our a day for everything?

Kilco 07-19-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newpball (Post 7601803)
Half our a day of dedicated serve training or just half our a day for everything?

Half hour on serve only.

GuyClinch 07-19-2013 04:09 PM

In before 'squats'..

Dude if there was some shortcut exercise that gave us a massive serve we would all be doing it. You can strengthen your whole body and that will add a little to your serve PROVIDED you have good form.

But most players have obvious flaws in their serves - so for them perfecting their serve will give them the best bang for the buck.

This is why little junior boys can hit bigger serves then most full grown men. They have good technique..

Dimcorner 07-19-2013 04:28 PM

For my size I was clocked with a radar at 108mph but the guy was standing at the back wall so I don't know how accurate it is. There was a guy that would probably be strong enough to tear the arms of my socket and he only hit 106mph.

Point is technique matters A LOT. That said however from what you describe you do seem pretty slim. There really is no easy way to just work out and get a big serve. You can try to do something like P90X or something to gain some more muscle, but you also have to either eat a lot of good food or take some protein shakes. Whatever you do you can't 1/2 donkey it, you have to commit to it to get results.

Ronaldo 07-19-2013 04:47 PM

Add weight training for the back. Really improved my serve.

gplracer 07-19-2013 05:09 PM

It helps to be tall and have long levers too.

10s talk 07-19-2013 07:15 PM

just move your contact point forward, and use your weight to create power


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse