Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pros' Racquets and Gear (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Switch from Wilson? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=470885)

GatorNation 07-20-2013 06:42 PM

Switch from Wilson?

Would Roger Federer ever consider switching to Head or Babolat similar to Sampras? Tommy Haas's Prestige seems to be working fairly well for him.

sureshs 07-20-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GatorNation (Post 7604069)
Would Roger Federer ever consider switching to Head or Babolat similar to Sampras? Tommy Haas's Prestige seems to be working fairly well for him.

Because he also lost?

HRB 07-20-2013 07:07 PM

Quote:

MILLIONS IN SPONSORSHIP...Head can't touch him. If he wants a Head racquet it'll just be in the form of H22 or whatever knockoff Wilson makes him.

Chezbeeno 07-20-2013 08:36 PM

He signed a lifetime deal with Wilson, I don't think a switch will happen (to another brand, that is).

johnchung907 07-20-2013 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chezbeeno (Post 7604206)
He signed a lifetime deal with Wilson, I don't think a switch will happen (to another brand, that is).

Until the Doctor went to Trenzalore... haha. Anyways back to subject why in the world would Federer want to switch to head or babolat in the first place?

caesar66 07-22-2013 07:05 AM

With today's racquet market the only real reason for a switch is money, and no ones going to give him a better deal than Wilson. If he tried a pure drive and it was heaven on earth, Wilson would paint one like a pro open. Prestige-voila, here's your new blade, etc. All manufacturers make some version of everyone else's racquets now.

RF20Lennon 07-22-2013 07:06 AM

For the billionth time, he has a lifetime contract with Nike and Wilson. He cannot switch.

MAX PLY 07-22-2013 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RF20Lennon (Post 7606523)
For the billionth time, he has a lifetime contract with Nike and Wilson. He cannot switch.

Actually he can switch--he may be in breach of contract if he does so (and thus may be liable for damages) but I suspect it would be impossible for either company to force him to use their products. It's a contract, not an indenture. That said, I think it would be highly unlikely for him to do so.

Rabbit 07-22-2013 09:32 AM

Yeah, the "lifetime" deal is probably fraught with conditions on both sides and the ability to cancel is given to both sides. It's really more a marketing thing than anything else, as evidenced by Agassi's and Sharapova's "lifetime" contracts.

That said, I think it should be noted that Federer could try any racquet and technically, Wilson could replicate whatever he wanted.

SFrazeur 07-22-2013 09:37 AM

Yeah. As long as Federer was reasonable (ie not James Blake) Wilson could make him just any racquet that is physically possible to make.

Dragan 07-22-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caesar66 (Post 7606519)
With today's racquet market the only real reason for a switch is money, and no ones going to give him a better deal than Wilson. If he tried a pure drive and it was heaven on earth, Wilson would paint one like a pro open. Prestige-voila, here's your new blade, etc. All manufacturers make some version of everyone else's racquets now.

True, indeed.

vandre 07-22-2013 01:19 PM

I could see a switch happening AFTER retirement (Sampras switched to babolat for some champions tour matches) but not while he's active on the atp tour. too much moolah on the line, too many lawyers and it isn't like he's going to have a ton of off time to adjust not just to a different stick but to a different company's stick. as is evidenced by the class action lawsuit against Wilson, fed can move product so Wilson isn't letting him go anywhere for the time being.

augustobt 07-22-2013 01:30 PM

Sharapova had a lifetime contract with prince.

BreakPoint 07-22-2013 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by augustobt (Post 7607224)
Sharapova had a lifetime contract with prince.

Both Sharapova and Prince mutually agreed to dissolve her "lifetime contract". Sharapova wanted to move to Head and Prince was in financial trouble and near bankruptcy so they were more than happy to stop paying Sharapova millions of dollars a year. I think it worked out for both parties. :)

hersito 07-22-2013 02:55 PM

Quote:

If he wants a prestige like raquet wilson would make it, the blades are a copy of prestige and radical molds, so...

sixone90 07-23-2013 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hersito (Post 7607372)
If he wants a prestige like raquet wilson would make it, the blades are a copy of prestige and radical molds, so...

so...they're not as good