Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   How many of you serve and volley nowadays? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=471168)

SuperHead 07-23-2013 08:26 AM

How many of you serve and volley nowadays?

Are you a modern baseline basher, or do you do the classical serve and volley?

Europe123 07-23-2013 11:14 PM

Vary game depending on the quality of the opposition.....But like to get to net.

andreh 07-24-2013 12:32 AM

It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks. I've always played s&v and I always will.

The Isomotion31 07-24-2013 10:15 AM

Dependent on the situation. If I see that my opponent can not return my serve deep enough consistently then its a go on S&V. Otherwise it is baseline until I can get something where I can hit an approach shot.

Velvet Ga el 07-24-2013 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Europe123 (Post 7610051)
Vary game depending on the quality of the opposition.....But like to get to net.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Isomotion31 (Post 7610899)
Dependent on the situation. If I see that my opponent can not return my serve deep enough consistently then its a go on S&V. Otherwise it is baseline until I can get something where I can hit an approach shot.

I'm of the generation that is supposed to stand back and bash, but I like to come to the net based on the above. The wide kicker to the ad court and follow up volley is a go-to pattern if I find out a guy can't hit high backhands. Same thing with the wide slice to the deuce court or the high kicker up the middle.

If a guy can't get depth on any of his returns, I'll go to exclusive S&V. Saves me time and energy, and minimizes the chance I'll make an error from the backcourt.

I'll like bashing during hitting sessions, but I like winning during matches.

Vertiz 07-24-2013 11:15 AM

Even though I play at a high collegiate lvl where players grind it out on the baseline or simply end the point with a serve, I come to net very often. I have a one handed backhand which does not last on the baseline and if I slice it I only put myself on the defense which forces me to make an amazing shot to win the pt. I probably try to come into net 1/3 of the time which is a lot more than 99% of players. You need a little of both.

HughJars 07-24-2013 01:45 PM

I try to serve volley as much as i can. Except when playing my regular hitting partner who is an exceptional returner. Still, I try to attack the net when hitting to his backhand at every opportunity.

Serve volley is boss.

10isfreak 07-24-2013 06:00 PM

I mosty hit from the baseline, but I like enterring the court to increase the pressure on my oppponent. With my average volleys and good groundies, the usual play is not s&v, though... I mostly hit groundies on shorter balls to win pts.

I did play a full set as a s&v against a pusher years ago and it was fun too. Many ways to win matches, but Id like to meet a genuine s&v in a match.

Ronaldo 07-24-2013 06:40 PM

Play dubs, nuff said

LeeD 07-24-2013 07:20 PM

About 50% in singles, closer to 60% in doubles.
The reason I don't come in more in doubles is because my partner get's lobbed a lot, no matter who he is, since he's going to be an imobile target in net position.

chatt_town 07-24-2013 07:35 PM

I can't vote because it depends on whether it's singles or doubles. If it's doubles I s&v first and second serve and it's relatively weak. In singles I've maybe done it 10 times in 10 years.lol Serve is just too short most of the time. Hands are pretty good so I can do it in doubles with no problem. It actually helps to hold to s&V as opposed to being pinned on the fence hitting ground strokes.

HughJars 07-24-2013 09:37 PM

Would it be outrageous to suggest pure baseliners who rate as a 4.0 or below are unlikley to have the power and abiity to place the ball to frequently and consistently hit winners, therefore predominately earn nearly all their points from unforced errors by their opponents? How often do you see lower skilled players smashing the ball past you?

What I might be suggesting is that it is easier to hit winners at the net than at the baseline when youre at a lower level because power doesnt come into the equation as much, and the technique is less complex. Plus you can work with greater angles. Why does no one play the net anymore then? Is it too uncool? Wouldn't developing an abilty to volley as opposed to trying to smash the skin off the ball from the baseline a more effective and educated way of winning more games when youre still in the early development stages of learning the game?

andreh 07-25-2013 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HughJars (Post 7611925)
Would it be outrageous to suggest pure baseliners who rate as a 4.0 or below are unlikley to have the power and abiity to place the ball to frequently and consistently hit winners, therefore predominately earn nearly all their points from unforced errors by their opponents? How often do you see lower skilled players smashing the ball past you?

What I might be suggesting is that it is easier to hit winners at the net than at the baseline when youre at a lower level because power doesnt come into the equation as much, and the technique is less complex. Plus you can work with greater angles. Why does no one play the net anymore then? Is it too uncool? Wouldn't developing an abilty to volley as opposed to trying to smash the skin off the ball from the baseline a more effective and educated way of winning more games when youre still in the early development stages of learning the game?

Exactly why S&V is still effective on rec level. I don't get passed that much. Lobbed every once in a while, but not passed.

HughJars 07-25-2013 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andreh (Post 7612208)
Exactly why S&V is still effective on rec level. I don't get passed that much. Lobbed every once in a while, but not passed.

I NEVER see anyone young come to the net. Its all baseline power bashing.

Amongst older players it common because they were brought up on it. And I see them tear youngsters to shreads simply by coming to the net.

Ronaldo 07-25-2013 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7611776)
About 50% in singles, closer to 60% in doubles.
The reason I don't come in more in doubles is because my partner get's lobbed a lot, no matter who he is, since he's going to be an imobile target in net position.

1st rule at our club: No lobbing

2nd rule at our club: No lobbing

3rd rule at our club: You lob, you sit

HughJars 07-25-2013 04:56 AM

Theres rules for lobbing????? Youre joking right

andreh 07-25-2013 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HughJars (Post 7612232)
I NEVER see anyone young come to the net. Its all baseline power bashing.

Amongst older players it common because they were brought up on it. And I see them tear youngsters to shreads simply by coming to the net.

I'm one of those older players! :-)

HughJars 07-25-2013 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andreh (Post 7612269)
I'm one of those older players! :-)

Max respect! I love playing against the older players who just know where to go on a court and can volley well, and have learnt to play within their own physical limitations as they get older. I learn so much about the game, compared to playing people younger who just want to bash it with no thought involved.

Ronaldo 07-25-2013 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HughJars (Post 7612266)
Theres rules for lobbing????? Youre joking right

Ground rulz for doubles: Guy gets hit, goes limp, match is over.
Unless he is hit by a woman, then plays on.

Seriously, LeeD, on your court is each player responsible to cover lobs over their head? One of the first rules I heard nearly 30 yrs ago.

andreh 07-25-2013 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HughJars (Post 7612281)
Max respect! I love playing against the older players who just know where to go on a court and can volley well, and have learnt to play within their own physical limitations as they get older. I learn so much about the game, compared to playing people younger who just want to bash it with no thought involved.

Let's be clear, I'm only 37!! :-) I hope that's not too old! But I play old school. Conti-ish grips, flat, slice, constantly moving forward.