Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   College Tennis Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   When does the college recruiting period for seniors end? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=471885)

Pickle 07-29-2013 09:59 PM

When does the college recruiting period for seniors end?

I know there are two signing periods for seniors: one in the fall and one in the spring around april. My question is when do college coaches usually make their final decisions by? If someone is aiming to sign or commit in April, do they have until February/March to play tournaments, contact coaches, and get better? Or is all recruiting basically done by the regular application deadline (January 1st)?

I was busy my junior year with school work and didn't really have time to contact any coaches. I was planning on doing so this summer (I'm a rising senior) but my TRN ranking dropped significantly due to me not playing many tournaments. It should go back up pretty quickly once I get some matches in this month but I'm worried that if I wait any longer it'll be too late.

JLyon 07-30-2013 06:07 AM

recruiting season is now, starts roughly July 1 of each year for rising seniors. Most coaches can see your past record and rankings. Start contacting coaches now and maybe you get an early offer for the November signing period other wise it will be April. You can commit at anytime but offers can come at certain times and NLI's are done twice a year and then over summer for late signings/transfers

Misterbill 07-30-2013 07:35 AM

Generally speaking...there are exceptions...the more competitive the program, the earlier the recruiting process starts. A few rising juniors have already committed.

After the top conferences skim off the cream, the mid-majors go after what is left, and so on. I do not have current stats, but signing "early" is now the norm with more than 60% (70%?) of commitments inked then.

This creates a risk in waiting since most slots and money will have been allocated in November. The elite can afford to wait if they wish, of course, there will always be slots for them. But for those suffering the "four-star blues", November is becoming the target date of necessity, I think

Pickle 07-31-2013 12:02 AM

What about for schools that don't offer athletic scholarships (like the ivies and DIII?). Also are coaches able to "help" with admissions if you have the academic credentials and are looking to be a walk on?

Misterbill 07-31-2013 07:18 AM

For schools that do not offer scholarships, the early signing period corresponds to the early action/decision time frame. Regular signing period corresponds to regular decision time frame.

Since these schools do not offer scholys, all that they can offer is to flag your application and hope the admissions office comes through. Usually they will send your application to admissions for a"pre-read" before they seriously recruit you to make sure your academic candidacy is at least in the conversation. At some schools, a coach's endorsement is a virtual lock for admission, at others it may just be a tipping factor.

Coaches at D3/Ivies have a certain number of slots (applications they can endorse) with the admissions office. Maybe 2 or 3 per year. If you are seeking to be a walk-on (everyone at Ivies/D3 is a walk-on, maybe you are referring to a non-recruited player) they will not allocate one of their slots to you. You will be on your own with admissions.

EDIT: If you didn't play many tournaments as a high school junior, and your schoolwork took up so much time you weren't able to contact coaches, are you confident in your ability to manage your time as a college varsity tennis player....especially at an Ivy?