Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   College Tennis Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Should I go to college on a tennis scholarship? Opinions/thought please! (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=471897)

forty-love 07-30-2013 02:06 AM

Should I go to college on a tennis scholarship? Opinions/thought please!

I'm in my final year of high school in Australia

Last year I began putting together the necessary info to get a tennis scholarship to go to college in the states. I was extremely keen on going to America to study and play the sport I love. I was almost there - all I needed to do was make the video of me playing tennis and send it out to coaches etc.

But then earlier this year when my school began talking about uni options I realized that a part of me still wanted to stay here back home. I figured that if I went to America I would be leaving my family/friends eight months after I finished high school. I know studying overseas is such a great opportunity but the thought of going to a new place all by myself and being so far from home scared me a little. So i made the decision to stay in Australia and go to uni here and study exercise science to become a physio whilst also being a tennis coach as well.

However, now that we've started applying to universities here in Australia i had a bit of an epiphany and realize that i really would love to go to america and play tennis

There's nothing wrong with me staying back home but I love playing tennis and I know that if I stay here all my efforts that I've placed on tennis in the past 9 years will go down the drain because I won't get to play as often. If I go to america i'll be playing everyday. But i'll be so far away from home and i guarantee that i'll get home sick. If i stay in Australia i'll be with my family and friends everyday. I'll be comfortable with the familiarity with the everything I'm torn between the two and it's making me really stressed because I know i have to make my decision soon. And what I choose will ultimately be the pathway for the rest of my life.

PhrygianDominant 07-30-2013 02:15 AM

I moved to Europe to study music, and it was really hard at first. However modern technology and communications makes the world feel really small compared to our parents generation, and living abroad has only become easier.

I would recommend the experience to anyone who wants to consider themselves good world citizens, because I believe viewing the world from within your own country your entire life will only limit your understanding.

When choosing your school make sure you choose an area where you will feel well culturally. There are parts of the US that are less diverse and less tolerant than others, and as a foreign student it could come as a shock to you, or lead to you feeling more alienated than need be. My 2 Cents

MMQB14 07-30-2013 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forty-love (Post 7623573)
...But i'll be so far away from home and i guarantee that i'll get home sick. If i stay in Australia i'll be with my family and friends everyday. I'll be comfortable with the familiarity with the everything I'm torn between the two and it's making me really stressed because I know i have to make my decision soon. And what I choose will ultimately be the pathway for the rest of my life.

Hi 40-0

At age 19 I left Switzerland to go to study in the US (albeit not on an athletic scholarship)all by myself. Yes I left my home, my parents, friends & family behind...basically everything that was familiar to me.

The first two months were really hard and I was on the phone a lot (no Skype, Facebook etc. at that time). I was really out of my comfort zone. But I realized slowly that I was not the only one feeling loney--everybody else on campus had left home, family & friends behind to go to university. By the time first semester ended around Christmas, I had made new friends, joined a few clubs, etc. And most importantly I had grown so much already.

Living abroad is certainly a life-altering event. And there will be growing pains. But you will profit from it so much down the road in your life. And your world will be bigger -- and better for it.

One of the worst feelings in life that you can have is regrets about missed opportunities. They will catch up with you sooner than later...and if you have too many of those then you end up carrying a heavy burden with you down the road.

If you have the chance of getting an athletic scholarship to play the sport you love while getting an education and living abroad then don't miss that opportunity. But yes - you will have to leave your comfort zone, yes you will have to learn to handle yourself and make your own decisions living abroard.

I came back after seven years with my future wife. I learned that my friends never left their comfort zone. They were still comfortable but less clearly already lost some hunger. Their world was - and still is - a lot smaller than mine. And in today's globalized environment that also translates into post-university careers & success later on in life.

Good luck with your decision.

Best, MMQB

JLyon 07-30-2013 06:05 AM

you need to decide if you really want to leave the family for that time or mature for the big move. It may not be easy. You need to do studies on different areas where you would potentially go to school, what major are you looking at, does the school of interest have that major. Ultimately it is a huge decision on you and your families part time and $$ wise.
Start contacting coaches now to talk to them about training and commitment to team compared to studies etc....

drgchen 07-30-2013 12:14 PM

I know that you are young, but you need to decide what you want in life and follow your dream. The advantage that you have is that you have the opportunity to try to live the dream- you never know where it will take you in life. Wait several years and you will find that most doors are closed and that the options that were available, no longer exist. If you can get a scholarship and you love tennis, then why not? Wait till you have a family to feed and you will find that there are no options in life.

coaching32yrs 07-31-2013 05:51 AM

If your priorities are your studies and education than yes, by all means, use your tennis as a means to an end. Come to the USA study play tennis and pursue a quality education. If you are coming to the US to play tennis everyday and pursue your tennis dreams- stay in Australia.

ae1222 07-31-2013 08:02 AM

Playing DI tennis in the US was the best four years of my life! I would highly recommend it to anyone who is thinking about it. Most of my team (and it seems most teams at DI) were foreign guys so at least you have an immediate group of people to hang out with and show you the ropes on campus, so that helps.

I played about 15 years ago and I still keep in close contact with my coach (he is still there) and most of my teammates. It makes it fun to go on vacations and travel the world and see the guys after all of these years. Plus my game improved tremendously while I was in college, I am quite sure I never would have had that happen without the college experience.

raging 08-21-2013 02:45 PM

Take A Chance

OP. You have probably already answered your own questions/fears.

Go for it!

No idea about what your scholarship chances are as don't know your ranking in Oz. But if you are top 6 in your state and top 25 in the country then go and do it. You will learn so much about life after 1 year in the US that it will be the best "gap" year you could spend.

You can do exercise science at a US Uni and as long as you pick the right one you will get the credits for the courses you take.

The experience playing on a team, working on your game/good daily coaching & training partners will improve your game.

Your teammates can become lifelong friends & the experience is unique from anything you can do in Oz.

This from someone who decided not to go on a tennis scholarship many years ago...I took every other chance after that to forward my career in tennis. I don't regret not going because of my circumstances then but I have since coached several players who have learnt so much from the experience.

tennis4josh 08-21-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forty-love (Post 7623573)
I'm in my final year of high school in Australia

Last year I began putting together the necessary info to get a tennis scholarship to go to college in the states. I was extremely keen on going to America to study and play the sport I love. I was almost there - all I needed to do was make the video of me playing tennis and send it out to coaches etc.

But then earlier this year when my school began talking about uni options I realized that a part of me still wanted to stay here back home. I figured that if I went to America I would be leaving my family/friends eight months after I finished high school. I know studying overseas is such a great opportunity but the thought of going to a new place all by myself and being so far from home scared me a little. So i made the decision to stay in Australia and go to uni here and study exercise science to become a physio whilst also being a tennis coach as well.

However, now that we've started applying to universities here in Australia i had a bit of an epiphany and realize that i really would love to go to america and play tennis

There's nothing wrong with me staying back home but I love playing tennis and I know that if I stay here all my efforts that I've placed on tennis in the past 9 years will go down the drain because I won't get to play as often. If I go to america i'll be playing everyday. But i'll be so far away from home and i guarantee that i'll get home sick. If i stay in Australia i'll be with my family and friends everyday. I'll be comfortable with the familiarity with the everything I'm torn between the two and it's making me really stressed because I know i have to make my decision soon. And what I choose will ultimately be the pathway for the rest of my life.

My suggestion is to go for it. Very few people get opportunity to chase their dreams. If you are have that opportunity grab it with both hands. In worst case you can quit and return home after a year. Even then it would be a year well spent. US is one of the friendliest place on earth. No matter which university you choose, there will be plenty of international students. So you will never feel lonely as long as you are outgoing type and open to meeting and mixing with people from different countries and cultures.

You should take one step at a time. You don't have a scholarship yet. First get one, and then worry about what to do. I am not trying to demoralize you, but when you go through the process of applying I am sure your decision will be easy if an offer comes your way. Good Luck :-)

-Josh

George Opelka 08-22-2013 04:56 AM

I think you already know your answer. Congratulations.

Eltoro 08-22-2013 05:39 AM

If you're really interested and think it's something that you want to do - go for it. It's four years and you can move back to AU afterwards and be grateful you had a unique experience that many of your friends and countrymen and women did not have. That being said, if you stay at home for uni, you'll likely have a great experience as well. The point being is that you don't want to live your life thinking "what if."

sureshs 08-22-2013 09:16 AM

Don't go to Oklahama LOL

heninfan99 08-22-2013 09:56 AM

Stay where you are! Seriously our economy is in the crapper. Even Walmart had a bad quarter recently and they are the #1 biz in America. Nothing has been fixed, they just paper over the cracks with printed money. Now the gov. wants to levy tax on internet purchases between states. Every decision they make is just another nail in the coffin.

Being a physio in Aussieland is ideal. Congrats on your correct decision!

However if you were an economic historian you could come to watch the downfall and then flee homeward.

TennisDawg 08-22-2013 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 7684461)
Don't go to Oklahama LOL

Yea, really. It would also depend on where in the U.S. I would not move to just any State. The location of the college makes a big difference. There some States that I would not want to spend 4 to 5 years living in. Avoid the high crime areas and hillbilly and okie towns.

goran_ace 08-22-2013 10:49 AM

Depends on your priorities. A lot of good schools are located in some not so great locations.

Overdrive 08-22-2013 12:20 PM

Is OK really that bad?

goober 08-22-2013 12:22 PM

Apply and see where you get offered and what you get offered. On the men's side full scholies are not that common and what you are offered is often just a partial ride and you have to make up the difference which can be substantial. Also you have to take into account living expenses, course of major, location of the school.

TennisDawg 08-22-2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overdrive (Post 7685080)
Is OK really that bad?

An Australian college athlete was recently shot and killed in Oklahoma. No, I'm not saying all people from Oklahoma are like that, the 3 criminals, 1 was white the other two were black. My own experience with living in OK was or even in the south has been a mixed bag. If you are raised there it's one thing but moving there can be difficult. I prefer to live out west.

Overdrive 08-22-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TennisDawg (Post 7685124)
An Australian college athlete was recently shot and killed in Oklahoma. No, I'm not saying all people from Oklahoma are like that, the 3 criminals, 1 was white the other two were black. My own experience with living in OK was or even in the south has been a mixed bag. If you are raised there it's one thing but moving there can be difficult. I prefer to live out west.

Oh.... I read that article on Opposing Views. Apparently, they killed him because they were 'bored'. That is an awful shame.

What sport did the victim play?

I lived in the South all of my life. I live in a mid-sized town so I pretty much love it here. Sure, there are denizens here because I avoid them at all cost and worry about myself.

LeeD 08-22-2013 03:16 PM

I've always thought, to get a COMPLETE college education, you NEEDED to live on your own, with little interplay with your parents and your past.
College is the doorway that leads to you LEAVING HOME, not another distraction to keep you tethered to your previous life.