Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   new video update (match) (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=471929)

MarinaHighTennis 07-30-2013 06:57 AM

new video update (match)
 
Hey guys so ibhavent posted a video in 6 months and have been playing colege tennis. And when i videoed myself i was very disappointed by what i saw. My forehand looks awful as if i was "pushing" the ball over the net and many times i feel that my forehand holds me back from getting better. Any advice?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7L7...e_gdata_player

Part 2, 2nd set: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPq6...e_gdata_player

I won 6-4 (was up 5-2), 6-0

Bobby Jr 07-30-2013 07:26 AM

Which one are you? The blue shorts/dark shirt or the other one? If so, nice playing in-general. What rating are you?

I only watched the first 4 minutes but a couple of observations.

> A few of your forehands seem to be non-committal. You also hit only a single down the line forehand to your opponents backhand in the first four minutes of play (everything is cross-court, inside out/in or down the middle of the court). Edit: I watched another minute > The only dtl forehands you go for in the 5th minute are last-ditch passing shot attempts - and all end with you losing the point. Maybe try practising hitting into that uncomfortable dtl third of the court more. Being able to hit there with confidence will serve you really well the higher your level gets.

> Your serve in the ad-court you appear to be launching at an odd angle because of your ball toss being so far left - I think your global balance is off - you can tell by how you ending your whole motion a fair bit to the left of where you began before you regain your balance. (as seen in 2nd and 4th points)

> Foot faults. You foot-faulted on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th points (and maybe also the 6th). I stopped counting after that. No major but it's something you should aim to get out of the habit of doing.

psv255 07-30-2013 07:55 AM

Nice, consistent play. Nothing to be disgusted or disappointed about, for sure.
I'm assuming you are in white w/ the Head Speed racquet...

On your serve (even on deuce side):
you could toss about a half-foot more out to the right on the first serve, it would give you easier pace without loss of placement.

As for the forehand, you start your swing at your waist, keep the entire arm stiff as a unit, and turn your shoulders. It's a motion with not much acceleration involved. This can be a very consistent way to hit, but I would imagine it to be somewhat uncomfortable, and surely inefficient. Try preparing with your hand higher and hitting the ball with a more relaxed wrist and arm. Instead of thinking to rotate to meet ball, try to accelerate/whip into the ball.

MarinaHighTennis 07-30-2013 09:06 AM

Im the one with the graphene and white shirt. I play college tennis and mens open. Mostly a doubles player. Im kinda miffed none of my coaches told me how bad my forehand is...

VoodooChild24 07-30-2013 09:24 AM

Hey man, nothing to be upset about your game. I actually like your groundstrokes. You have all the basic fundamentals and you'll definitely just get better as you gain more experience.

Note: I $uck compared to you.

MarinaHighTennis 07-30-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby Jr (Post 7624092)
Which one are you? The blue shorts/dark shirt or the other one? If so, nice playing in-general. What rating are you?

I only watched the first 4 minutes but a couple of observations.

> A few of your forehands seem to be non-committal. You also hit only a single down the line forehand to your opponents backhand in the first four minutes of play (everything is cross-court, inside out/in or down the middle of the court). Edit: I watched another minute > The only dtl forehands you go for in the 5th minute are last-ditch passing shot attempts - and all end with you losing the point. Maybe try practising hitting into that uncomfortable dtl third of the court more. Being able to hit there with confidence will serve you really well the higher your level gets.

> Your serve in the ad-court you appear to be launching at an odd angle because of your ball toss being so far left - I think your global balance is off - you can tell by how you ending your whole motion a fair bit to the left of where you began before you regain your balance. (as seen in 2nd and 4th points)

> Foot faults. You foot-faulted on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th points (and maybe also the 6th). I stopped counting after that. No major but it's something you should aim to get out of the habit of doing.

idk about the footfaults but yes about the forehand. I never fully commit to hit the ball hard. I only hit 60-70% but with heavy pace.

rkelley 07-30-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psv255 (Post 7624153)
Nice, consistent play. Nothing to be disgusted or disappointed about, for sure.
I'm assuming you are in white w/ the Head Speed racquet...

On your serve (even on deuce side):
you could toss about a half-foot more out to the right on the first serve, it would give you easier pace without loss of placement.

As for the forehand, you start your swing at your waist, keep the entire arm stiff as a unit, and turn your shoulders. It's a motion with not much acceleration involved. This can be a very consistent way to hit, but I would imagine it to be somewhat uncomfortable, and surely inefficient. Try preparing with your hand higher and hitting the ball with a more relaxed wrist and arm. Instead of thinking to rotate to meet ball, try to accelerate/whip into the ball.

Agreed.

Another way to state the same thing as above is to drive the butt end of the racquet out to the ball with a looser wrist and forearm.

You're being very careful with your swing, much too careful, and not using much SSC in your wrist.

johnchung907 07-30-2013 12:39 PM

Overall good solid play. About the forehand... Well it's a solid shot but it should be a major weapon. Not just a nice rally ball. I feel like you could generate a lot more power from it. Like everybody else was saying, don't be to cautious on your forehand. I mean everybody makes ues. Now I noticed that on your take back you tend to take the racquet above your shoulder then swing a little down and stop there until the ball comes. This makes you lose power. You should take your racquet back to your shoulder then HOLD IT THERE and right before the ball comes at you swing down at full speed. It should be a 1-2 step process (depends on how the ball is travelling back at you). You're adding in an unnecessary step. Other then that everything looks good.

thejackal 07-30-2013 12:48 PM

you mentioned that you don't like your forehand much. it's actually not a bad shot especially if you are more of a doubles player. your swing seems conductive to hitting balls moving forward, and you hit it solidly enough with a compact motion.

I play at a decent level and wouldn't mind having your forehand, let's put it that way - mine is a major pain in the *** at times

Tight Lines 07-30-2013 02:01 PM

Nice hitting overall....

Regarding your forehand, I am going to disagree with some people here that advocate a higher, loopier swing to get more power. Although I am not as good as you, I have talked with several high performance coaches that actually advocate a very compact swing. The thought is as you advance towards higher levels, the balls will come at you faster and faster. Because of that, the higher loopier swing is more difficult to time.

I happen to agree with that. That does not mean you couldn't implement a modern forehand using more ssc. As others have suggested, point the butt of the racket towards the ball as long as possible during the start of the forward swing.

JMHO.

Harry

MarinaHighTennis 07-30-2013 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnchung907 (Post 7624763)
Overall good solid play. About the forehand... Well it's a solid shot but it should be a major weapon. Not just a nice rally ball. I feel like you could generate a lot more power from it. Like everybody else was saying, don't be to cautious on your forehand. I mean everybody makes ues. Now I noticed that on your take back you tend to take the racquet above your shoulder then swing a little down and stop there until the ball comes. This makes you lose power. You should take your racquet back to your shoulder then HOLD IT THERE and right before the ball comes at you swing down at full speed. It should be a 1-2 step process (depends on how the ball is travelling back at you). You're adding in an unnecessary step. Other then that everything looks good.

Thanks for the info. I know i need to do that but the real problem is doing exactly that. I feel i lose time and i may hit the ball late. For example, cedric, the guy im playing hits like yu say but he tends to hit late and mishits a lot

MarinaHighTennis 07-30-2013 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkelley (Post 7624646)
Agreed.

Another way to state the same thing as above is to drive the butt end of the racquet out to the ball with a looser wrist and forearm.

You're being very careful with your swing, much too careful, and not using much SSC in your wrist.

what does ssc mean?

lightthestorm 07-30-2013 06:49 PM

I actually see a bigger problem with the serve....

MarinaHighTennis 07-30-2013 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lightthestorm (Post 7625221)
I actually see a bigger problem with the serve....

Really? I find my serve is my best weapon. I win lots of free points and aces off of it and I rarely get broken. I normally average 5-6 aces a set (kick, slice, flat) except for this one lol

Bobby Jr 07-30-2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarinaHighTennis (Post 7624590)
idk about the footfaults but yes about the forehand. I never fully commit to hit the ball hard. I only hit 60-70% but with heavy pace.

I said that because you never bothered to tell us which player you were. I assumed, as my post asked, that you were the person close to the camera at the beginning of the video.

You are the other guy.... I'll rewatch with that in mind. One thing is you push your forehand - however you play with better directional intent that your opponent so for most of the points I watched you seemed to be the instigator of action, your opponent more reactive. That is a good way to be.

Ballinbob 07-30-2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lightthestorm (Post 7625221)
I actually see a bigger problem with the serve....

Yeah I second this... Forehand doesn't seem too bad. I feel you have a very conservative mentality when hitting it but it looks like you can hit it deep and pretty consistently which is good. Its nice to have your forehand as a weapon but its not a necessity.

The serve though: you hit the ball over your head a little too much. As someone said you should toss the ball further to the right on first serves, it will give you some more pop. That's the only thing I can see right away but hopefully our experts here can chime in more on this issue

Bobby Jr 07-30-2013 09:29 PM

Ok, watched it. You guide your forehands way too much. You have good directional play generally - i.e. you do well to pick your spots and move your opponent around - but this is undone somewhat by you guiding so many shots.

I'm surprised you say you mostly play doubles because I don't think you return with much conviction off your forehand. Most are guided - even ones you barely have to move your feet for you are hitting unto the net half the time.

Similarly, many of your approaches are mid-paced forehands hit straight to your opponents forehand - something you should look into. Doing that will see you lose almost every approach against any competent opponents.

I like your serve. It is more rounded than your ground-strokes for sure which is actually quite a rare thing. Usually at that level the serve is the shot that lacks. You do hit it very casually though - your second serve is barely distinguishable from your first.

Backhand overhead - very nice. A good shot to have for doubles.

Out of interest, you say you play college tennis - what level do you play?

MarinaHighTennis 07-30-2013 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby Jr (Post 7625428)
Ok, watched it. You guide your forehands way too much. You have good directional play generally - i.e. you do well to pick your spots and move your opponent around - but this is undone somewhat by you guiding so many shots.

1 I'm surprised you say you mostly play doubles because I don't think you return with much conviction off your forehand. Most are guided - even ones you barely have to move your feet for you are hitting unto the net half the time.

2 Similarly, many of your approaches are mid-paced forehands hit straight to your opponents forehand - something you should look into. Doing that will see you lose almost every approach against any competent opponents.

3 I like your serve. It is more rounded than your ground-strokes for sure which is actually quite a rare thing. Usually at that level the serve is the shot that lacks. You do hit it very casually though - your second serve is barely distinguishable from your first.

Backhand overhead - very nice. A good shot to have for doubles.

4 Out of interest, you say you play college tennis - what level do you play?

1) this is a very bad returning day for me haha. Usually I hit the returns hard and off the bounce. I'll post a doubles vid soon and you'll see what I mean.
2) thanks for that. I'll try to hit it harder
3) I find that I hit my serves better casually vs forced power. Well I use my first serve to mix up sometimes between slice and kick
4) I played for Community College (won about 80% of singles and nearly all of my doubles) and will be practicing with UC Irvine's team while playing competitively club. I have several friends who play for UCI which is a D1 school and I've almost beaten some of them. I was invited to play for the State Ojai tennis tournament and did pretty good.

spaceman_spiff 07-31-2013 01:01 AM

The main thing that I noticed is that you hit a lot of serves to the forehand, and I mean a lot. For example, in the 2nd set your opponent only had to hit 8 backhand returns the entire set. Every other return he hit was a forehand, and he hit loads of them. I wasn't counting in the first set, but it looked pretty similar.

Now, a few of your slice serves were well placed and made your opponent stretch, but a majority of them were right in the guy's wheelhouse. Also, by the end of the set he was just waiting halfway between the singles line and the center hash on the ad side on your first serves, because by then he'd figured out that you practically never hit a first serve out wide on that side.

Maybe this was a strategy for this particular opponent. But if it's a general trend in your matches, then I'd suggest that you think a bit more about your serve strategy. Hitting loads of serves right to your opponent's forehand usually isn't a good strategy.

Edit: I went back to count the first set, and your opponent only had to hit 2 backhand returns. Granted, you won that set easily, so you didn't hit as many serves as in the 2nd set.

Bobby Jr 07-31-2013 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarinaHighTennis (Post 7625450)
1) this is a very bad returning day for me haha. Usually I hit the returns hard and off the bounce.

It might be a bad day - we all have them - but I'm tempted to say the way you hit indicates that's how you do it most of the time. Getting confident at striking returns cleanly and solidly only comes through practice. So practice it during matches like this. Returning well is a skill which few people actually do all that well really but if you want to do well in college doubles especially you are going to have to work on it imo. Routine, positioning, split-step, picking a target, short back-swing, committing 100% to the shot etc - it is well worth making a mental plan to focus on a couple of these each time you play.
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarinaHighTennis (Post 7625450)
2) thanks for that. I'll try to hit it harder

Hitting approaches harder isn't necessarily the right answer - you would still be hitting them to your opponents (generally) stronger wing and within easy reach. The general rule of thumb is you come into the net down the line if you're a dedicated net rusher. Consider that when coming in off your forehand. Also, adding a slice to you backhand would help you come in off that wing against the sort of player you are hitting against there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarinaHighTennis (Post 7625450)
4) I played for Community College (won about 80% of singles and nearly all of my doubles) and will be practicing with UC Irvine's team while playing competitively club...

I don't know much about the level of various unis - can you equate this to an approximate rating?


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse