Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   College Tennis Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Good Move/Bad Move to go pro? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=472048)

tacoben 07-31-2013 11:32 AM

Good Move/Bad Move to go pro?

Recently, Nicole Gibbs, a Stanford standout opted to go pro after two years playing for the team. Last year Mallory Burdette, another Stanford player went pro just one year shy of graduation. Is this a good move for anyone who was given a scholarship to one of the nation's finest Universities? I know it is their life (to live) but it really befuddles me that, someone can walk away from a great education. When someone gives this up, does the scholarship get allocated to someone else in full or in part? What actually is in the scholarship package to make one stay or leave?

Your thoughts please...thanks!

josofo 07-31-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tacoben (Post 7626531)
Recently, Nicole Gibbs, a Stanford standout opted to go pro after two years playing for the team. Last year Mallory Burdette, another Stanford player went pro just one year shy of graduation. Is this a good move for anyone who was given a scholarship to one of the nation's finest Universities? I know it is their life (to live) but it really befuddles me that, someone can walk away from a great education. When someone gives this up, does the scholarship get allocated to someone else in full or in part? What actually is in the scholarship package to make one stay or leave?

Your thoughts please...thanks!

they can always go back if they dont make it and take out loans like everyone else does.

for them i dont see anything wrong with following their dream. if they are top college players they have a shot at making a career out of it.

tennisballer 07-31-2013 12:24 PM

I believe in both of their cases, it was a very good move. I am a huge supporter of college tennis as a pathway and training ground for professional tennis and both Mallory and Nicole proved that they were ready to turn pro by dominating college tennis. They also did quite well in pro tournaments while playing as amateurs while still in college. This is what still really boggles my mind, why more players don't give college a try for atleast a year or two. If you come in, reach the top 5 in college tennis and dominate then you can move on to the pros. You give yourself a couple years to grow mentally and physically and everything is provided for you (training, coaching, equipment, etc.). With the the way competition has been shaping up in college tennis for the last 5-7 years, it really is a no brainier in my opinion.

drgchen 07-31-2013 12:59 PM

If you can't make the top 50, it is probably a better idea to stay in school. A year shy of graduation it is a mistake to go pro unless you are pretty certain of making it to the top. A Stanford education/diploma is worth a lot of money. True that these tennis players probably don't go to class much or learn much from school but that piece of paper is probably worth a million dollars or so over the span of someone's career.

RetroSpin 07-31-2013 01:01 PM

How many top ten WTA players went to college? Top 20?

Just asking because I don't know, but I'm guessing not many. If you have top 100 talent, it may be a great plan, but if you are shooting for top ten, it seems to me you are wasting a lot of time going to class and hanging out when the euros are playing pro tournaments.

SoCal10s 07-31-2013 01:05 PM

they are pros .. all their life ,all they know is tennis ,that was their dreams and goals to become a professional tennis player ,so why not... if you think that all these student/athletes really work as hard in school work as they do on the their tennis game,you are kidding yourself.. you cannot go back to tennis when time runs out .. college is always there ..

the only thing I question is Gibbs saying in some interviews that she was going to play and finish 4 years at Stanford ... I guess that was all talk ..

newpball 07-31-2013 01:07 PM

I think one of the best predictors is the ranking as a junior, when you were not amongst the best as a junior you will likely neither be as a senior.

MarTennis 07-31-2013 01:41 PM

Depends on family wealth and stability

Quote:

Originally Posted by josofo (Post 7626578)
they can always go back if they dont make it and take out loans like everyone else does.

for them i dont see anything wrong with following their dream. if they are top college players they have a shot at making a career out of it.

I think both the Stanford girls have doctor parents. I know that is the case with Burdette. Not that all doctors are wealthy, but does give an indication that they can handle tuition if necessary.

10isplayer 07-31-2013 02:27 PM

Most of these girls have it worked out to when they come back to school after the tour they have their scholarship waiting for them so they won't have to pay tuition.

Overdrive 07-31-2013 03:37 PM

There is nothing wrong with turning pro, but can they cover all of those expenses when doing the pro tour? Also, the odds of becoming a successful tennis player is extremely low..

If these women think they can handle it, go for it.

josofo 07-31-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drgchen (Post 7626663)
If you can't make the top 50, it is probably a better idea to stay in school. A year shy of graduation it is a mistake to go pro unless you are pretty certain of making it to the top. A Stanford education/diploma is worth a lot of money. True that these tennis players probably don't go to class much or learn much from school but that piece of paper is probably worth a million dollars or so over the span of someone's career.

this is what everyone says. but hey if in 3 years she isn't making it out of the 1st round of any wta draws she can just go back to stanford.

they dont take away your credits, she will just have to take out a loan instead of the scholarship.

josofo 07-31-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarTennis (Post 7626751)
I think both the Stanford girls have doctor parents. I know that is the case with Burdette. Not that all doctors are wealthy, but does give an indication that they can handle tuition if necessary.

that is another good poin. its not like these girls are from the ghetto like lenny cooke or some basketball player that went pro and it didn't work out.

BirdieLane 08-01-2013 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10isplayer (Post 7626816)
Most of these girls have it worked out to when they come back to school after the tour they have their scholarship waiting for them so they won't have to pay tuition.

Can you go into more details on this? Do you know of players that had this sort of arrangement? or yourself? I can't imagine that a school is going to give up a scholarship to a player that isn't playing for the team.

ClarkC 08-01-2013 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCal10s (Post 7626679)
they are pros .. all their life ,all they know is tennis ,that was their dreams and goals to become a professional tennis player ,so why not... if you think that all these student/athletes really work as hard in school work as they do on the their tennis game,you are kidding yourself.. you cannot go back to tennis when time runs out .. college is always there ..

the only thing I question is Gibbs saying in some interviews that she was going to play and finish 4 years at Stanford ... I guess that was all talk ..

Yes ... and one thing I have always wondered ... is why people are always typing ellipses ... when they could use a period instead ... after all ... stupid stuff like that is usually done to save keystrokes online ... or in text messages ... but it is easier to type a period than ellipses ... just wondering ...

ClarkC 08-01-2013 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10isplayer (Post 7626816)

One of the most nonsensical posts ever.

Overdrive 08-01-2013 10:33 AM

^ That isn't even a sentence ( I meant the post you quoted)!

SoCal10s 08-01-2013 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClarkC (Post 7627811)
Yes ... and one thing I have always wondered ... is why people are always typing ellipses ... when they could use a period instead ... after all ... stupid stuff like that is usually done to save keystrokes online ... or in text messages ... but it is easier to type a period than ellipses ... just wondering ...

my English teacher Brad B... taught me this style .. he also warned me about henpeck people who want to criticize everything ... so you can keep on wondering ...