Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Post match recovery takes too long! (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=472137)

lendledbergfan 08-01-2013 08:55 AM

Post match recovery takes too long!

I've felt this for the last 2-3 months ever since I've started playing regularly (which means twice a week) that the post match recovery takes a long time.

I played a long three setter (7-6 in the third, almost 2.5 hours) on Tuesday night (in decently cool conditions around 17-18C) and I can still feel a bit of pain and stiffness in my legs (its Thursday morning right now).

What is the best way to make sure that the recovery takes less? Assume that I'm a recreational player who plays local league matches but does not have sophisticated techniques at my disposal.

Here's my current routine:

- Come 10-15 early to the match. Warm up for 10 minutes. Practice serves for 5 minutes
- Play match. Carry enough water and keep myself hydrated during the match.
- Have a power bar or two during the match. Sometimes I carry a banana.

Post match: Light cool down and drive back home. Occasionally I put some cold packs on my legs, but not always.

I'm a 3.25 player (definitely above 3.0 but not in the 3.5 league) where I do play some long rallies but pace is not that high.

EDIT: I'm a 28yrs old male, ~170lbs (76kgs). I do some running in the gym 2-3 times a week, and some strength training (mostly at home).

Thanks much!

torpantennis 08-01-2013 08:59 AM

Do you eat A LOT after the match? I need to eat something like 1000-1500 kcal before I go to sleep after an intense training or a match...

Drew_a_blank 08-01-2013 09:01 AM

Stretching after the match, as well as the day after should help. Also, more exercise! The better shape you are in, the quicker your recovery time will be.

prostaff_fan 08-01-2013 09:19 AM

Focus on efficient footwork

I am assuming you play singles more often. I have improved over the last few months from about your level to a strong 3.5. I don't feel as tired as I used to after playing matches. One reason I feel is because I am moving more efficiently now. I would recommend taking some classes from a local pro and tell him/her that you want to improve your footwork. Doing some shadow footwork drills on the court also helps. If you watch Federer, observe how he takes big steps and side shuffles most of the time. Also keep a low center of gravity by slightly bending your knees. The key is to not put your body in any awkward positions during any time of play.

Of course, footwork is just one part. Working on core fitness is another important factor.

Say Chi Sin Lo 08-01-2013 09:24 AM

Sorry, but playing twice a week is far from "playing regularly". That's no where near enough for you body to look at a 2.5hour 3setter match like it was nothing.

10isfreak 08-01-2013 09:26 AM

If your match is intense, you need to eat some proteins and carbs within the 30 or so minutes following your effort. The best cheap option? Chocolate milk. If not, you can go to a store which specializes in weight lifting and training supplements -- big bottles of powders you can mix with water, milk or else -- and ask them for something you could use after an intense training.

In essence, you need to eat ASAP once you're done and you'll be OK.

mmk 08-01-2013 09:34 AM

Try this:
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/0...recovery/?_r=0

torpantennis 08-01-2013 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10isfreak (Post 7628172)
If your match is intense, you need to eat some proteins and carbs within the 30 or so minutes following your effort. The best cheap option? Chocolate milk. If not, you can go to a store which specializes in weight lifting and training supplements -- big bottles of powders you can mix with water, milk or else -- and ask them for something you could use after an intense training.

In essence, you need to eat ASAP once you're done and you'll be OK.

This! I'm always in big trouble if I dont eat at least 1000kcal within 1.5-2 hours after sessions. To get some of it ASAP, I mix protein and malto powders to water straight after the sessions, to get about 400 kcal.

jonestim 08-01-2013 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo (Post 7628167)
Sorry, but playing twice a week is far from "playing regularly". That's no where near enough for you body to look at a 2.5hour 3setter match like it was nothing.

+1

What other fitness do you do during the week? You need to get stronger.

TomT 08-01-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lendledbergfan (Post 7628102)
I've felt this for the last 2-3 months ever since I've started playing regularly (which means twice a week) that the post match recovery takes a long time.

I played a long three setter (7-6 in the third, almost 2.5 hours) on Tuesday night (in decently cool conditions around 17-18C) and I can still feel a bit of pain and stiffness in my legs (its Thursday morning right now).

What is the best way to make sure that the recovery takes less? Assume that I'm a recreational player who plays local league matches but does not have sophisticated techniques at my disposal.

Here's my current routine:

- Come 10-15 early to the match. Warm up for 10 minutes. Practice serves for 5 minutes
- Play match. Carry enough water and keep myself hydrated during the match.
- Have a power bar or two during the match. Sometimes I carry a banana.

Post match: Light cool down and drive back home. Occasionally I put some cold packs on my legs, but not always.

I'm a 3.25 player (definitely above 3.0 but not in the 3.5 league) where I do play some long rallies but pace is not that high.

Thanks much!

As you can see from my sig I'm a 3.0, so sort of in your competitive range. I have lots of vids posted here at TTW that you can check out.

I'll, hopefully, be playing a league match every day for the next week or so. The only thing that sometimes is noticeably sore after a match is my hitting hand. I'm finding that the more I play, the more I'm able to play without soreness.

My consumption during a match is about the same as yours, lots of water, a banana or two, maybe one of those flavored drinks. After, say, an evening match I eat meat and veggies till I'm full. An hour or so after that I drink a smoothie with spinach, berries, nuts and seeds. An hour or so after that I often take a nap. It's usually a great, deep sleep. Then I'm up till all hours of the night.

When I get up in the morning I drink lots of water and do some chores, errands, yard work, or maybe a light workout. After that I eat a bunch of eggs and bacon. Drink some juice and coffee. A couple of hours after that I'll usually drink another smoothie. Then I'm usually itching to get out on the court again.

If I have a morning or midday match then things are slightly altered but proceed in basically the same order.

My unqualified opinion is that if you play and practice intensely more frequently, then you will have less of a problem with post match soreness.

Say Chi Sin Lo 08-01-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonestim (Post 7628205)
+1

What other fitness do you do during the week? You need to get stronger.

It's not just about staying active throughout a week to get your body in shape. Yes, working out and exercising will get your body in shape, but it won't be in "game shape".

It's very hard to mimic the explosive and repetitive movements/strains that happen in a tennis match (or any other competitive sport for that matter). All I can say is you've got to log in more court time. I can play back-to-back-to-back-etc. days and my body won't really feel anything, but I'm exhausted after a game of full-court basketball. That's because although I'm in shape, I'm not in basketball shape.

If you want to feel alright after playing a 2.5hours 3setter, you've got to be able to log in at least 10 hours a week.

charliefedererer 08-01-2013 11:50 AM

Add in one more day of just hitting. Keep the ball continuously in play - use at least 6 balls.

Most tennis players enjoy this better than running, high intensity interval training, agility drills or going to the gym to get in better shape.

fuzz nation 08-01-2013 01:06 PM

Agree with our pal charliefed above.

Now that I'm 47, I'm doing more to stay ahead of things and I've taken on a couple of habits that have been substantially helpful for me. The first one is remembering to get a couple minutes of stretching done before I get into the car to drive home. Sounds like a very small thing, but it's been a huge help. I also stretch every night before I get into bed.

I like to ride a bicycle for exercise and I racked up some miles through the months of May and June as I got back to some better off-court maintenance of myself. The difference I enjoy in both my endurance and recovery when the tennis work/play gets busy has been phenomenal. Tennis can generally bring a whole lot of pounding to our bodies, but a little deliberate work away from the courts (nothing heroic necessary) will add up in a hurry. The bike adds zero extra pounding to my legs, but helps me a ton if I get out maybe twice a week.

The Isomotion31 08-01-2013 02:35 PM

Foamroller and a light 2-3 mile jog the next day makes all my stiffness go away.

The Meat 08-01-2013 02:43 PM

Stretch a lot after play, before you sleep, when you wake up, and before the match. Also do what others said and get some calories in you after the match, more importantly protein.

Say Chi Sin Lo 08-01-2013 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Meat (Post 7629108)
Stretch a lot after play, before you sleep, when you wake up, and before the match. Also do what others said and get some calories in you after the match, more importantly protein.

I just eat a chili verde burrito and I'm good the next day.

user92626 08-01-2013 02:50 PM

Why no one asked for the OP's age?

If you are 80, just staying alive would give you pain and nothing you can do about it except taking pain medication and waiting to pass through that door. :)

newpball 08-01-2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lendledbergfan (Post 7628102)

First question is your age and the second is do you do anything else than playing tennis twice a week. E.g. tennis training, gym, running, jogging etc.

lendledbergfan 08-01-2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newpball (Post 7629135)
First question is your age and the second is do you do anything else than playing tennis twice a week. E.g. tennis training, gym, running, jogging etc.

Very valid question :). I'm surprised myself that I didn't post it when I posted all such details. Edited the OP.

lendledbergfan 08-01-2013 03:08 PM

Thanks everyone! Based on all your suggestions I'll start with

- More protein intake after the match
- More cool-down / stretching
- Some light massage / cold packs
- Light workout next day even if I feel stiff

as short term fixes and

- Play more regularly (though less possible given my routine)
- Raise the bar on fitness!
- Improve overall footwork / technique
- Finish points like Federer :P

as making my routine better over the long term.

Thanks a lot guys!