Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pros' Racquets and Gear (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Should the ProStaff 90 be redeveloped? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=473518)

10sdude85 08-14-2013 08:40 AM

Should the ProStaff 90 be redeveloped?

Since Federer is sticking with his 90, do you guys think some new technology in the 90 is better than him switching to a bigger head size? Wilson obviously has prototypes that Roger has been testing from time to time but it doesn't seem like he's too serious about switching. Would this be a better alternative? Don't bash me just a curious question.

Devilito 08-14-2013 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10sdude85 (Post 7660452)
Since Federer is sticking with his 90, do you guys think some new technology in the 90 is better than him switching to a bigger head size? Wilson obviously has prototypes that Roger has been testing from time to time but it doesn't seem like he's too serious about switching. Would this be a better alternative? Don't bash me just a curious question.

there hasn't been any advancements in racquet technology since the early 80s. The only thing that's really different is the strings

heninfan99 08-14-2013 09:02 AM

...liquid metal sounded cooler than basalt or innegra.

Say Chi Sin Lo 08-14-2013 09:05 AM

I heard Wilson is adding an adjustable tensioning mechanism that will instantaneously change the tension of the sweet spot. And the adjustment will come from the grip. So if you're on the baseline, you can have a lower tension, and when you're inside the court, you can have a higher tension.

Also, Wilson has broken down the structure of graphite to the molecular scale. This allows the graphite molecules in the racquet to self-multiply and change shape. Effecting allowing the racquet to extend and expand on the fly. The energy to do so will come from the impact of the balls.

ClintimusPrime 08-14-2013 09:14 AM

Federer's change needs to come from inside his head, not the racquet. Confidence makes him play better. No amount of money in the world can buy that, nor will a racquet change it...

Rabbit 08-14-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo (Post 7660520)
I heard Wilson is adding an adjustable tensioning mechanism that will instantaneously change the tension of the sweet spot. And the adjustment will come from the grip. So if you're on the baseline, you can have a lower tension, and when you're inside the court, you can have a higher tension.

Also, Wilson has broken down the structure of graphite to the molecular scale. This allows the graphite molecules in the racquet to self-multiply and change shape. Effecting allowing the racquet to extend and expand on the fly. The energy to do so will come from the impact of the balls.

What's is old is new again....

The Bergstrom (sp?) Long String had a key that enabled you to "tune" your tension. I believe there was another racquet from years past which had the same type feature.

Vcore89 08-14-2013 10:23 AM

Sounds like a YAMAHA racquet with a self tuning device impregnated in the mold.

THESEXPISTOL 08-14-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo (Post 7660520)

I can see where you got the inspiration for this trolling post...

TennisLovaLova 08-14-2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClintimusPrime (Post 7660544)
Federer's change needs to come from inside his head, not the racquet. Confidence makes him play better. No amount of money in the world can buy that, nor will a racquet change it...

QFT
10chars

tembolo1284 08-14-2013 10:52 AM

What are we talking about?

BreakPoint 08-14-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10sdude85 (Post 7660452)

It should be the opposite. Take all technology (if it really exists at all) OUT of the Tour 90. All that garbage has ruined the racquet. The PS 6.0 85 is still a better racquet than all the Tour 90s because it doesn't contain any of these unnecessary and useless "technologies". Wilson should take all the garbage out of it and make a true ProStaff 6.0 90. :)

Sander001 08-14-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THESEXPISTOL (Post 7660793)
I can see where you got the inspiration for this trolling post...

You calling that a troll?
WHOOSH

THESEXPISTOL 08-14-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sander001 (Post 7661151)
You calling that a troll?
WHOOSH

Not saying "Say Chi Sin Lo" is a troll, he's one of my favorite posters btw, i'm just saying he was trolling in that particular post.

Say Chi Sin Lo 08-14-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THESEXPISTOL (Post 7661204)
Not saying "Say Chi Sin Lo" is a troll, he's one of my favorite posters btw, i'm just saying he was trolling in that particular post.

Haha, I am? Thank you, I appreciate it.

Anyways, adjustable tensioning and de-molecularization of graphite is happening.

THESEXPISTOL 08-14-2013 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo (Post 7661219)
Haha, I am? Thank you, I appreciate it.

Yes you're, one of my top10. You're a rational and reasonable person and, sadly, that's hard to find in this board nowadays..

Say Chi Sin Lo 08-14-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THESEXPISTOL (Post 7661237)
Yes you're, one of my top10. You're a rational and reasonable person and, sadly, that's hard to find in this board nowadays..

I try to be, I just think there's so much BS on these forums, and these people will believe anything another member will say.

As far as the Tour 90, a direct descendant of the 6.0 line with its 80%/20% graphite/kelvar construction, there are photographic evidence of said construction as well.

Show me proof of Tour 90's construction. Otherwise, I'm not a believer of these "n-coded", "karophite (k-factor)", and "basalt (BLX)" construction. A while back, when the k90 was still readily available, the spec sheet had "80%/20% graphite/karophite". Hmmm, sounds familiar?

I've hit with the 85 and my blx90, and they feel similar enough. I'm going to say this based on feel. Unless there is evidence suggesting otherwise, I have no reason to believe Tour 90s are anything but a 80%/20% graphite/kevlar construction. This concludes my rant on "technology". Sorry, I meant marketing.

BUT, I'm telling you. All of that is going to change. Adjustable tensioning and de-molecularization of graphite is happening.

THESEXPISTOL 08-14-2013 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo (Post 7661258)
As far as the Tour 90, a direct descendant of the 6.0 line with its 80%/20% graphite/kelvar construction, there are photographic evidence of said construction as well.

Show me proof of Tour 90's construction. Otherwise, I'm not a believer of these "n-coded", "karophite (k-factor)", and "basalt (BLX)" construction. A while back, when the k90 was still readily available, the spec sheet had "80%/20% graphite/karophite". Hmmm, sounds familiar?

I've hit with the 85 and my blx90, and they feel similar enough. I'm going to say this based on feel. Unless there is evidence suggesting otherwise, I have no reason to believe Tour 90s are anything but a 80%/20% graphite/kevlar construction.

I know what you mean... They just throw an insignificant % of the almighty material and throw a new paintjob.

Mister drool 08-14-2013 01:53 PM

Some folks here say that either the 4d100 is the successor of the 85, more recently, some say the yonex core 89. but curious how most of the opinions agree that none of the recent tour90 (at least after the k90) is a worthy successor of the pro staff 85, so in my humble opinion, there are a few good modern mids out there. its just a question of geting one that fits your style of play. I still think that the swiss guy might make the change to the 98 sp inch frame, those are good too, just look at the recent ig prestige pro, and now the pk qtour, both amazing frames. but for his style of play, the tour90 is like a taylor made suit.
if that raquet can be made to endure the game as it is today i do not know, i do know that everything changes, everything evolves, and nothing is ever the same as the years go by.
whe get older... our parents die... our kids grow old and move out
and even federer starts loosing some, but as a secret that every one here knows, hes not done just quite yet!

Say Chi Sin Lo 08-14-2013 01:58 PM

People need to realize that racquets and other misc. equipment complement one's game, not make or break it.

If you're tagging fences left and right, and you're dumping shots into the middle of the net, I'm pretty sure the result will be the same with every other racquet.

But I'm sure nobody here with their perfect flawless technique and strokes would want to hear that. Everyone here averages 5 unforced errors or less per set. And if the stats deviate, it's because of the equipment.

BreakPoint 08-14-2013 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo (Post 7661258)

I've hit with the 85 and my blx90, and they feel similar enough. I'm going to say this based on feel. Unless there is evidence suggesting otherwise, I have no reason to believe Tour 90s are anything but a 80%/20% graphite/kevlar construction. This concludes my rant on "technology". Sorry, I meant marketing.

BUT, I'm telling you. All of that is going to change. Adjustable tensioning and de-molecularization of graphite is happening.

The PS 6.0 85/95 feel noticeably different from all the different Tour 90s and all the Tour 90s feel different from each other, i.e., the HPS Tour 90 feels different from the nCode 90, which feels different from the K90, which feels different from the BLX90, which feels different from the BLX PS 90. They each have their own unique feels, some more subtle than others. I do know for a fact that both the HPS Tour 90 and the nCode 90 contain HyperCarbon. With the K90, they took out the HyperCarbon but kept in the SiO2 molecules from the nCode 90, which is probably why the K90 feels closer to the PS 6.0 85/95 than the others. Both the BLX90 and the BLX PS 90 feel more muted than the K90, with the BLX PS 90 feeling softer. None of them feel exactly like the PS 6.0 85/95, so there is definitely more in them than just plain old 80% graphite/20% Kevlar. Also, at least the HPS Tour 90 and nCode 90 are Double Braided (graphite/HyperCarbon + graphite/Kevlar), while the PS 6.0 85/95 is just braided (graphite/Kevlar).