Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Point Construction and shot selection (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=473948)

chrischris 08-18-2013 12:13 AM

Point Construction and shot selection

Huge topic i know...
But, whats your most important ideas and setups in how to play?
I know to hit crosscourt when in doubt is a good pattern :)

SystemicAnomaly 08-18-2013 01:53 AM

Keep your shots deep in order to keep your opponent from stepping in to gain control of the rally. Once you have your opponent very deep or pulled out wide, you can hit a drop shot or fast angled shot to the open court (or behind a scrambling player).

Lukhas 08-18-2013 02:01 AM

Well, when you have decent shots, it's important that at some point you sit with a pen and think about your game a bit.
-What are your strengths?
-What are your weaknesses?
-And your opponent?
-How can you set up a plan using your strength while covering your weaknesses?

For example, a dude like Federer hadn't a really good BH. However, his slice was knifing, and he had an excellent inside-out FH. So he used his slice CC to force his opponent to lift the ball, and with that weaker reply he played inside-out FH and the point was over. Djokovic has a really good DTL BH, so once he's installed in that CC BH rally, he uses it to open the court, make his opponent play CC to his FH (higher percentage shot) and the point is mostly over.

These are just examples of what the pros do to exploit their strengths on court.

Ballinbob 08-18-2013 07:22 AM

Lukhas's post is right on I think, you definitely want to base your game/strategy around your strengths. Here's a recent example of how I got beat by good strategizing.

I played a serve and volley player with terrible ground strokes the other day, and he beat me. How? By good strategizing. He knew he couldn't beat me from the baseline(which is my strength) so he took that away from me and S&Ved every point to my backhand. Not only was he hiding his weakness(ground strokes), he was using his strength(big serve) against my weaker wing(backhand) and he won the match.

dknotty 08-18-2013 09:39 AM

How would someone construct a game around their serve?

Ballinbob 08-18-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dknotty (Post 7674289)

Do you have a big forehand as well? You can try serving out wide on both sides and hitting your forehand to the open court, works well for a lot of players.

And if you have a good net game you can serve and volley

dknotty 08-18-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ballinbob (Post 7674489)
Do you have a big forehand as well? You can try serving out wide on both sides and hitting your forehand to the open court, works well for a lot of players.

And if you have a good net game you can serve and volley

Thanks. That makes sense.

Yup I'd say my forehand is decent. Not booming but pretty decent.

Lukhas 08-18-2013 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dknotty (Post 7674289)

Boom-Boom Becker, Andy Roddick, Ivanisevic, Isner, Raonic, Dr. Ivo, ect. Big serve out wide or on the BH(boom), big forehand to finish the job(boom).

TimothyO 08-18-2013 12:23 PM

Read the books:

"Think to Win"

and...

"Pressure Tennis"

Both are excellent sources on this topic.

West Coast Ace 08-18-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrischris (Post 7673398)
I know to hit crosscourt when in doubt is a good pattern :)

At 4.0 and lower (and even higher levels sometimes - that's why you should be observant during the warmup and first few games) - you can usually wear out their BH until you get a short ball to attack.