Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Comment and suggestions (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=474119)

Tund3r 08-19-2013 10:29 AM

Comment and suggestions

Hi, this is my forehand and backend, any comment and suggestion is appreciated

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpDVsZftz-k

Thank you

NLBwell 08-19-2013 10:37 AM

They laid down that line in a very straight manner.

Tund3r 08-19-2013 11:11 AM

What you mean with that?

Topspin Shot 08-19-2013 11:23 AM

I think he means that this camera angle tells us next to nothing about your strokes or game. Put the camera directly behind you, so we can see you and where your shots are going.

Tund3r 08-19-2013 11:31 AM

Oh I was looking for something about the swing, nest time ill do that

LeeD 08-19-2013 11:41 AM

Nice backhand, 2hbh.
Forehand, looks like your contact point is too far back, possibly caused by a weak grip (towards continental), and very inconsistent.
Never a good sign when the contact point of a 2hbh is more forewards than for your forehands.
Is you forehand defensive and too flat, and you are tentative to hit full out during matches?

ProgressoR 08-19-2013 11:43 AM

for the FH, you get a nice shoulder turn but just before you swing forward it looks like you relax your coiling a little and arm the ball a bit. Try to keep your coiling for a bit longer.

Tund3r 08-19-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7677484)
Nice backhand, 2hbh.
Forehand, looks like your contact point is too far back, possibly caused by a weak grip (towards continental), and very inconsistent.
Never a good sign when the contact point of a 2hbh is more forewards than for your forehands.
Is you forehand defensive and too flat, and you are tentative to hit full out during matches?

You are right my grip is continental, I'm looking forward to change it but i'm waiting to improve my footwork and been more consistent with this since I don't want to focus on too many things at the same time.
I don't play any matches right now, I play since 6 month and i just began to learn to serve

Tund3r 08-19-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProgressoR (Post 7677491)
for the FH, you get a nice shoulder turn but just before you swing forward it looks like you relax your coiling a little and arm the ball a bit. Try to keep your coiling for a bit longer.

Got it .. i'll try that thank you

LeeD 08-19-2013 12:30 PM

Change right now.
Footwork for a continental topspin forehand is completely useless and HARMFUL to a SW grip forehand.
If you don't want to change too much, just SLICE every forehand right now. That helps promote a wide ball retrieval stroke when you're pushed out beyond the singles sidelines, no matter what grip your topspin forehand becomes.

ProgressoR 08-19-2013 12:57 PM

linked to LeeD's comments and my earlier one, you hit your FH with neutral stance, but I think you should consider semi open, that will help to promote the coiling I mentioned.

Tund3r 08-19-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProgressoR (Post 7677759)
linked to LeeD's comments and my earlier one, you hit your FH with neutral stance, but I think you should consider semi open, that will help to promote the coiling I mentioned.

Got it i'll do that ... what you think about switching the grip little by little instead move straight to semi west?

LeeD 08-19-2013 01:19 PM

You have been playing tennis for 6 months.
You have NO grooved strokes.
Swith NOW, hit the wall two sessions, then go out and play.

ProgressoR 08-19-2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tund3r (Post 7677783)
Got it i'll do that ... what you think about switching the grip little by little instead move straight to semi west?

What is your current grip for FH, conti?

dominikk1985 08-19-2013 01:28 PM

for 6 months it is good. you seem to be an athlete.

you have some kind of turn but the trunk rotation is disconnected from the arm move so that you basically still arm the ball.

try to shoulder turn a little more on the takeback and then keep the shoulders and arm back for a little longer as the back hip starts to turn. that creates some stretch and the arm being whipped through by the body.

shoulders turn back as a unit and then the hips rotate while the back shoulder stays back for a moment which creates that rubber band effect and whip.

ProgressoR 08-19-2013 01:32 PM

i see its conti

change it now, I suggest to EFH and semi open stance, i think you will accommodate that fine.

Then when you get used to semi open stance and coiling and the arc of the ball on your shot, give SW a go and see what feels better for you.

LeeD 08-19-2013 01:35 PM

If you have an open court, just practice self drop feeds from the basline to establish contact point and swingpath. Might take you all of 3 sessions, at most.

Tund3r 08-19-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProgressoR (Post 7677879)
i see its conti

change it now, I suggest to EFH and semi open stance, i think you will accommodate that fine.

Then when you get used to semi open stance and coiling and the arc of the ball on your shot, give SW a go and see what feels better for you.

sorry i get confused with names, it is EFH right now, so i'll concentrate on get a semi open stance and coiling better

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7677890)
If you have an open court, just practice self drop feeds from the basline to establish contact point and swingpath. Might take you all of 3 sessions, at most.

tnx ill do that at the wall

LeeD 08-19-2013 02:19 PM

Just experiment with grips. Use one that allows LOTS of topspin, while allowing your hit hit hard and IN. That is usually SW grip.

NLBwell 08-19-2013 09:59 PM

From the side is a good vantage point for analyzing strokes. Just put the camera on a box, or tape it to the fence, or have someone hold it, or something, so that the vertical view of the stroke isn't all screwed up.