Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Help me make a schedule. (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=474325)

ranman123 08-21-2013 06:21 AM

Help me make a schedule.

So school starts soon. My times are 7:45-3:05. How can I get the time needed to play college tennis. I'm 16 don't have car yet. Thanks for your help. Summer was easy because I had nothing I do.

vvkid 08-21-2013 07:21 AM

this is the usual routine for some student athletes

5am - wake up
6am - hit the courts
7:45 - be at school
3:30 - hit the courts again
6pm - fitness
7:30 - dinner/do school stuff
9pm - sleep

ranman123 08-21-2013 09:09 PM

Thanks for your reply

For me who usually hits at 6 am. What coach does that? There's always ball machine is that good to do.

The Meat 08-21-2013 09:26 PM

If you don't have anything else to do besides tennis. Sleep at 10-11p.m and wake up at 6:00a.m(or whatever time the sun rises). Go to the courts and work on your footwork and your serves. If you have a wall then use that practice your groundstrokes, volleys, smashes, etc. Find friends who are early morning people and play with them.

I'm in college currently and we usually just play after classes end when it's not too unbearably hot and play for a good 3 hours.

If you're seriously going to play D1 hire a coach and work your a.$$ off, or else some foreigner will take your place on the team. If you just want to play tennis for competitive fun then play club college tennis, the universities in our state play tournaments with each other monthly at different schools.

TheCheese 08-21-2013 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vvkid (Post 7681866)
this is the usual routine for some student athletes

5am - wake up
6am - hit the courts
7:45 - be at school
3:30 - hit the courts again
6pm - fitness
7:30 - dinner/do school stuff
9pm - sleep

Forget about academics if this is your schedule.

pingu 08-22-2013 05:30 AM

I would skip the morning session. For the after school sessions, I would alternate them like MWF and practice more during the weekend. Just like TheCheese mentioned, you can forget your academics with that schedule.

Rina 08-22-2013 05:35 AM

Don't forget to eat! That schedule leaves no time for food. I suggest tennis 4-6pm then fitness till 7. Yes, it is hard to fit studying time in, but not impossible.

vvkid 08-22-2013 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranman123 (Post 7683560)
For me who usually hits at 6 am. What coach does that? There's always ball machine is that good to do.

coach? ball machine?

like what Meat says, you can practice your serve footwork/fitness etc. anything to get you better.
your schedule will really vary based on the time frame like if its offseason, preseason and during the season depending on your tournament calendar.

samarai 08-22-2013 07:49 AM

Seems not enough time alloted time for school studies. Sometimes u have to sit down and decide if its gonna be school or athletic activities. Something has to bring in the money for you in the future. Decide what u are better at.

goran_ace 08-22-2013 08:29 AM

That suggested schedule also leaves out time for just being a normal teenager.

If you want to play at the next level, it's not about spending 40 hours on the court a week. Instead of increasing the quantity of practice sessions, increase the quality. Forget about the 5am ball machine session. Push yourself as hard as you can in the afternoon session with your coach. Most importantly, play as many tournaments as you can.

esgee48 08-22-2013 08:42 AM

What type of course load and curriculum do you plan to carry? Looks like 5-6 classes? I remember that you need to spend 2-3 hours outside the classroom for every hour in the classroom. Does not look feasible, especially if you're going into engineering, hard sciences, etc. You and your parents are going to have to sit down and decide where your priorities are. Scheduling to practice does not leave much time for school work. Been there and opted for school work. 2 cents.

samarai 08-22-2013 09:57 AM

Tennis

I think that the ones that can really make a living at tennis knows this and there coaches knows well before they ever step onto a college campus. All others are playing merely to play. If your skills and physical attributes are so good that they set u apart from everyone else, I think that u would know by now.

josofo 08-22-2013 02:14 PM

remember pete sampras got out of school at noon.

ProgressoR 08-22-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by josofo (Post 7685420)
remember pete sampras got out of school at noon.

Unless you are talented as he is, I suggest leaving school at 10:30am sharp.

ranman123 08-24-2013 06:43 AM

So then with the morning session being taken out. What is a schedule I can go by. Thanks.

SystemicAnomaly 08-24-2013 10:36 AM

If you can get out on on Fri afternoon/evening and then Sat and/or Sun, then perhaps 2x during the week (Mon thru Thur) will be enough. On other days, just do some shadow swings &/or footwork drills at home and watch some tennis videos. Do not need to do this other stuff for more than 30 minutes if you need time to for homework and other activities.

OTOH, You might want to take advantage of the good weather now, and then resume getting on the court 4-5x per week a bit before high school team tryouts start up in the Spring (I assume).