Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   6-1, 2-6, 6-1 .. (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=474454)

LeeD 08-22-2013 10:19 AM

6-1, 2-6, 6-1 ..
 
Hey guys and gals !
Played a match yesterday, those were the scores. Singles, best of 3, somewhat serious.....we'd bragged about our tennis for a while to each other....
I got....we're close, both leftie (therefore erratic, but I have the edge..
He got... we're close, both leftie, and except for a few missed shots, we'd be really even...
What are some of your opinions? Thanks.

arche3 08-22-2013 10:23 AM

I have no idea what I just read...

newpball 08-22-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7684904)
What are some of your opinions?

About what?

Do you have a video?

LeeD 08-22-2013 10:32 AM

Video would have been nice.
Since he's in the same relative financial state as me, we both don't own even cell phones with the camera option, not to mention, no camera or vid devices.
Thank you for the comments.

psv255 08-22-2013 10:41 AM

Just like most rec-level tennis (and too much of WTA tennis), everything comes in spurts. Not many players can sustain good play for a long period of time, especially if they rely on power hitting and 4-shot rallies. Hence the score...

Some video would be nice. Isn't technology far enough advanced to buy a soapbox camera for 20 bucks?

LeeD 08-22-2013 10:46 AM

:) "sustain level of play"....
Was at a college court.
All these hotties kept walking by, slowing down and stopping to watch. Some even put down their packs and watched.
Weather went from 59 degree dark fog to sunny, 70 degree sauna.
Can two lefties ever play a close match with close scores?

mad dog1 08-22-2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7684904)
Hey guys and gals !
Played a match yesterday, those were the scores. Singles, best of 3, somewhat serious.....we'd bragged about our tennis for a while to each other....
I got....we're close, both leftie (therefore erratic, but I have the edge..
He got... we're close, both leftie, and except for a few missed shots, we'd be really even...
What are some of your opinions? Thanks.

what does being a lefty have to do w/ being erratic? what's the logic and correlation behind this?

my opinion? i'm glad to hear that even after the crushing defeat you laid on your opponent, you both feel close emotionally. maybe it's a deep emotional bond that only lefties can feel and relate to.

mad dog1 08-22-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7684969)
:) "sustain level of play"....
Was at a college court.
All these hotties kept walking by, slowing down and stopping to watch. Some even put down their packs and watched.
Weather went from 59 degree dark fog to sunny, 70 degree sauna.
Can two lefties ever play a close match with close scores?

you thought: it was your smoldering good looks they were staring at.

they thought: what an amusing sight...older fellow hobbling around a tennis court chasing tennis balls. in an odd way, it's rather entertaining.

;)

LeeD 08-22-2013 10:55 AM

Sounds like you don't play with good (not great) lefty players, do you?
I"ve played with lefties since 1975. NOT ALL, but the majority are very talented, but don't take it nearly as seriously as their rightie brethen.
I can name TWO lefties who DO take it seriously, but have limited stroke production potential (weak serves, or lacking in some aspects of the game.
I can probably name well over 20 lefties who had the potential and EVERY shot to get to the next level (compared to their peers) but never did, because of head games, lack of real motivation, or lack of interest.
For sure, Connors and McEnroe took it seriously and maximised their potential.
I can think of dozens of lefties who had better physical skills, stroke production, speed, power, who didn't come close to that level.

LeeD 08-22-2013 10:56 AM

Actually, I was grading each and every single one of them, to my criteria.
Hard to switch back to looking at a tennis ball.

ilovetennis212 08-22-2013 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7684935)
Video would have been nice.
Since he's in the same relative financial state as me, we both don't own even cell phones with the camera option, not to mention, no camera or vid devices.
Thank you for the comments.

Sell one of your kitesurfing board and buy an iPhone5

NTexas 08-22-2013 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7685004)
.
For sure, Connors and McEnroe took it seriously and maximised their potential.
I can think of dozens of lefties who had better physical skills, stroke production, speed, power, who didn't come close to that level.


So you are saying you knew dozens of people that could have been better than Connors and McEnroe? Because that is a tall statement to make.

KineticChain 08-22-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7684935)
Video would have been nice.
Since he's in the same relative financial state as me, we both don't own even cell phones with the camera option, not to mention, no camera or vid devices.
Thank you for the comments.

you can get a digital camera that records video for under $20 these days

LeeD 08-22-2013 11:10 AM

Post 11. It's the service that costs too much, not the actual product. I live on 570 a month, which after car insurance, storage container fees, some credit card monthly bills, doesn't leave a whole lot for food and gas, which I deem more important than having a video camera.
Post 12. PHYSICAL skills, not better mental skills. Physical skills is the ability to hit harder, run faster, be taller, while keep close in reaction times. MENTAL skills is the ablility to play your best game regardless of the distractions and pressures you are facing. That is not the same as physical skills.

mikeler 08-22-2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mad dog1 (Post 7685001)
you thought: it was your smoldering good looks they were staring at.

they thought: what an amusing sight...older fellow hobbling around a tennis court chasing tennis balls. in an odd way, it's rather entertaining.

;)

You are wrong. Younger girls love watching older 3.5 men duke it out with the winner taking the fair maiden out to dinner.

mad dog1 08-22-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 7685081)
You are wrong. Younger girls love watching older 3.5 men duke it out with the winner taking the fair maiden out to dinner.

love it! just brilliant! :lol:

BMC9670 08-22-2013 11:57 AM

I'm still trying to figure out what this thread is about? All I know is that LeeD probably intimidated the opponent by not warming up and then proceeding to chuck a large object over a distant fence.:)

Power Player 08-22-2013 12:01 PM

Amazing thread. I love Lee's world. A place where hot girls stop to watch two old men play low level tennis. What a joyful place that must be.

"all these hotties kept stopping by".

Ask yourselves, in your history of playing tennis from USTA juniors, to high school, to college - has this ever happened to anyone but LeeD?

Amazing exaggerated brag thread from the GOAT of talking about himself at all times.

LeeD 08-22-2013 12:05 PM

Obviously, nobody cares, and you guys are good jesters.
My take, since nobody cares.
We both warmed up adaquately, including overheads and deep and short volleys.
1st set, he was caught off guard, or I was playing an A game I didn't have.
2nd set, he was playing better, I took it easy, or maybe my real game showed.
3rd set, two tired old farts. He's in much better physical condition, can run full speed into the end of the 3rd set, I had to hit better shots, since court coverage was really lacking by then. Maybe he started to notice the bystanders, while I was already full on into it.
I was hoping "better shots" can trump a younger, faster opponent who wanted to WALK HOME after this "match". I could barely walk to my car.

boramiNYC 08-22-2013 12:17 PM

alternative tanking


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse