Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Former Pro Player Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Goat: Greatest To Watch (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=474540)

kiki 08-22-2013 11:13 PM

Goat: Greatest To Watch

HtH, longevity,dominance,slam&indoor majors count,%winning,toughness of competition,weeks as number 1....those are the standart criteria to rank players here
Of course it is necessary
But ad a fan and game lover for decades I wonder if we are not obliterating a key concept:
Who is the greatest to watch?
Of course we can just presume of those past greats we did not watch
But even so, I think we can judge them by our intuition, presumtion or imagination
I have impression many fans just don' t have any clue about what real tennis is and they maje it up with tons of statistics&rationale criterion
I simply watch tennis for fun....do you?

andreh 08-22-2013 11:36 PM

Yes! I love to watch S&V tennis. But I positively hate watching two players bash/grind it out from the baseline. At least one player has to be an S&V player. That means for me, only old tennis. The late 80s, early 90s and wood racket tennis, from Wimbledon in particular. I also love playing with a wood racket.

Most of the players I like are not even candidates for GOAT so I don't care much about that particular discussion. I'm a swede and Edberg was, and still is, my hero.

newpball 08-22-2013 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiki (Post 7686559)
Who is the greatest to watch?
Of course we can just presume of those past greats we did not watch
But even so, I think we can judge them by our intuition, presumtion or imagination

No doubt about it! And besides we need no videos, for instance one single picture of the legendary Renshaw already speaks volumes and immediately surpasses anything of present day tennis. His style, the way he moves on court, his strokes! Ah, those where the days, golden! What did I say? Golden? I mean platinum! :twisted:

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiki (Post 7686559)
I have impression many fans just don' t have any clue about what real tennis is ...

We should force them to look at b&w videos of Tilden and only let them go if they finally admit that tennis in the old days was the real golden tennis. :twisted:

forzamilan90 08-23-2013 03:20 AM

I think entertainment is a big part of it. In my case I was fortunate enough to watch both greatness and entertainment and aesthetics and grace all in one package. Furthermore cements GOAT to me.

joe sch 08-23-2013 04:43 AM

In a nutshell, I loved to watch contracts of personalities and styles. It was so entertaining to see guys that played allcourt tennis especially when a serve/volleyer attacked a baselined. Throw in some attitude and some competitive emotion against the opponent and that is really entertaining. Im referring to matchups like Connors vs McEnroe or Kramer vs Gonzales. So many posters and emailers have told me this and I agree. This is also why so many fans now watch the classic tennis matches since so many miss this type of entertainment. If I was programming robots to play tennis, it would be very difficult to cover all the possibilities of old school tennis and soo much simpler to have them perfect baseline bashing. Think this has something to do with the tennis academies ? Sorry, starting to go off on a tangent here ;)

Frankc 08-23-2013 06:23 AM

Good post - greatest to watch works for me. I have more watchable time with Mac and Edberg.

(Just finished the 5 setter, US Open 92(?), Lendl & Becker - Amazing shot making, variety, competitive natures, flat & hard slices that we will never see again... and a night match at the US Open, on USA, with Vitas and Mac in the booth...)

On the post, one of my most entertaining GOATs would be Edberg. Next up is the 5 set quarters with Lendl - wow..
Edberg's athleticism, serve/volley quickness, demeanor and that era that still allowed s&v - now that is one GOAT who is fun to watch...

Or Mac, was it the 84, US Open? 5 set semi with Wilander in the heat... ridiculous ebbs and flows, shotmaking, utter variety, guts - maybe it takes an occasion and certain opponent to bring out the most watchable GOAT for each of us??

slice serve ace 08-23-2013 08:07 AM

most fun to watch

becker
mcenroe (copied his service motion, he he)
edberg
sampras

also stich&krajicek when healthy and on
goran too

even the most entertaining baseliners leave me pretty cold. funny thing is i am baseliner, through and through, despite the fact that i have the serve levels above my competition, and move great for my level as well. i simply find S&V too hard to play, but mesmerising to watch. i couldn't stop smiling during the whole stakhovsky vs federer match:) have to get my hands on brown vs hewitt as well:)

robow7 08-23-2013 09:05 AM

Yea, I enjoy watching the all court players and the shot makers, and with that in mind, Fed is about the only one I enjoy watching today. I'm also wondering whether I'll ever watch tennis in the future if it's just two trees bashing it from the baseline every point.

Phoenix1983 08-23-2013 11:06 AM

The thing is though, certain players become great to watch when they are playing against another great who brings the best out of them.

i.e. I enjoy watching Djokovic when he's facing Nadal, but I can't stand his game usually.

kiki 08-23-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newpball (Post 7686583)
No doubt about it! And besides we need no videos, for instance one single picture of the legendary Renshaw already speaks volumes and immediately surpasses anything of present day tennis. His style, the way he moves on court, his strokes! Ah, those where the days, golden! What did I say? Golden? I mean platinum! :twisted:

We should force them to look at b&w videos of Tilden and only let them go if they finally admit that tennis in the old days was the real golden tennis. :twisted:

ohˇˇ you´re such a sensitive poetˇˇˇ

ARFED 08-23-2013 05:04 PM

For those here who dismiss baseline play as boring, you should watch Safin or Nalbandian at their best. If you don`t find that brand of tennis entertaining then you have a real problem. Having said that, i am a hardcore fan of Edberg and his style, he was the perfect player for me, nothing awkward about his movement or his strokes (well his fh could be a mess sometimes but anyway i liked it) and his attitude towards the game was just amazing. He would attack you, no matter the importance of the point, the surface or whatever. I thought he was perfect, until i watched Fed. Just one sentence, if you haven`t seen yet on youtube "Federer as a religious experience", go do it now. As a tennis fan, you owe it to yourself. Probably the greatest footage ever made related to a tennis player. A truly masterpiece.

Of past players, i believe that Laver and Ashe, from the little i could see of them are my favourites

BTURNER 08-23-2013 11:07 PM

My choice is as predictable as it will be unheralded in this category. I may admire the athletes, remain riveted by artists, and appreciate the attributes of a great grinder but there is something unique in Evert. First, I am drawn in by the purity and efficiency of her game/ strokes and inevitably rewarded for my patience. You don't necessarily see fireworks from her, but she demands them of any opponent who hopes to win. Evert is the great catalyst for dramatic tennis.

Its that discipline, that unyielding mind striving to contain, with clinical precision, every threat, every obstacle internal or external , that might impede her. You can see the wheels turning. The sheer force of her will alone, is a devastating weapon and it is palpable. I find it mesmerizing.

And then there is the shotmaking that can explode off either wing when she most needs it to. Unlike most champions, Evert never goes for the great shot when the simple, predictable and well executed will do. That is about the self discipline so ingrained. But do not doubt that the bold and the glorious are right under the surface. If you press her, you will learn how very undull her tactics can be.

kiki 08-24-2013 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BTURNER (Post 7688823)
My choice is as predictable as it will be unheralded in this category. I may admire the athletes, remain riveted by artists, and appreciate the attributes of a great grinder but there is something unique in Evert. First, I am drawn in by the purity and efficiency of her game/ strokes and inevitably rewarded for my patience. You don't necessarily see fireworks from her, but she demands them of any opponent who hopes to win. Evert is the great catalyst for dramatic tennis.

Its that discipline, that unyielding mind striving to contain, with clinical precision, every threat, every obstacle internal or external , that might impede her. You can see the wheels turning. The sheer force of her will alone, is a devastating weapon and it is palpable. I find it mesmerizing.

And then there is the shotmaking that can explode off either wing when she most needs it to. Unlike most champions, Evert never goes for the great shot when the simplůe, predictable and well executed will do. That is about the self discipline so ingrained. But do not doubt that the bold and the glorious are right under the surface. If you press her, you will learn how very undull her tactics can be.

The greatest economy of efforts I have seen on a court is. ROSEWALL

kiki 08-24-2013 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ARFED (Post 7688407)
For those here who dismiss baseline play as boring, you should watch Safin or Nalbandian at their best. If you don`t find that brand of tennis entertaining then you have a real problem. Having said that, i am a hardcore fan of Edberg and his style, he was the perfect player for me, nothing awkward about his movement or his strokes (well his fh could be a mess sometimes but anyway i liked it) and his attitude towards the game was just amazing. He would attack you, no matter the importance of the point, the surface or whatever. I thought he was perfect, until i watched Fed. Just one sentence, if you haven`t seen yet on youtube "Federer as a religious experience", go do it now. As a tennis fan, you owe it to yourself. Probably the greatest footage ever made related to a tennis player. A truly masterpiece.

Of past players, i believe that Laver and Ashe, from the little i could see of them are my favourites

I already had my owm religious experience watching Laver LIve

andreh 08-24-2013 04:42 AM

OK. Might have exaggerated my hatred for baseline play. Every once in a while it's fine and there can be spectacular stuff. But usually, for me, such a ralley ends with one of the players seeking out the net and finishing the point form there with a volley winner or a passing shot/lob. I do enjoy watching Fed, but he's basically the only modern player I'll watch.

kiki 08-24-2013 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andreh (Post 7689030)
OK. Might have exaggerated my hatred for baseline play. Every once in a while it's fine and there can be spectacular stuff. But usually, for me, such a ralley ends with one of the players seeking out the net and finishing the point form there with a volley winner or a passing shot/lob. I do enjoy watching Fed, but he's basically the only modern player I'll watch.

I do agree a bit on Federer, but I prefer the early years Federer for watching purposes.Of course, there have been some very spectacular players to watch who mainly played from the baseline.Agassi was very bright at times...and of course Jimmy Connors, who also attacked the net but was mainly a baseliner.

forzamilan90 08-24-2013 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiki (Post 7689126)
I do agree a bit on Federer, but I prefer the early years Federer for watching purposes.Of course, there have been some very spectacular players to watch who mainly played from the baseline.Agassi was very bright at times...and of course Jimmy Connors, who also attacked the net but was mainly a baseliner.

Bjorn Borg?

andreh 08-24-2013 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forzamilan90 (Post 7689150)
Bjorn Borg?

Most entertaining match I've ever seen: Edberg v. Borg in a Copenhagen exo in 2008. Legends Live. It's on Youtube. Saw it live, court-side. Admittedly it looks a bit tame on video compared to actually being there. Great rallies, well-played.

borg number one 08-24-2013 06:41 AM

Kiki, I've enjoyed watching greats play tennis, such as Connors and Vilas, all the way to the current great players. For me, Borg as been the greatest to watch. One thing about Borg was that not only was he a great player and a great mover on the court, with revolutionary strokes, his demeanor was absolutely unique. It was so darn quiet on his side of the net, whether it was set point at Wimbledon and he hit a blazing passing shot to win the set, or he dropped match points. Not a word. Not a peep. Stoic. The Ice Man. He had a very unique way of keeping very quiet during some incredible tennis and big tennis moments.

struggle 08-24-2013 06:43 AM

Even though I'm not really a Fed fan at all, he does play classic all court tennis.

I like that.

Becker
Mac
Edberg
Noah
Connors
Thamprath
Agassi
Vilas
Borg

The Aussie dudes, Cash, Rafter