Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Should I Hit Or Should I Wait? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=474763)

ian09rush 08-25-2013 12:11 PM

Should I Hit Or Should I Wait?

OK pardon me for being a newb here, I'm sure this has been discussed before some very long time ago but I don't want to dig up some prehistoric archive.

I have a very good touch on volleys and I generally struggle to generate as much top spin as other competitive modern players; moreover, power has never been part of my game plan (except for s&vs). Should I venture up at no man's land if my opponent moon balls me or rallies me? I won't wander up randomly because my opponent can aim at my feet obviously. However, in a slow rally, the other guy with more spin and comfortable at baseline would always win. Should I play to my string, go up and open up more angles/make the opponent comfortable? Although I know this is generally advised against.

Cheers

LeeD 08-25-2013 12:22 PM

Well, playing to your weakness, groundies, would insure you lose every match, so maybe it's your time to think of a change.
Or, you can play like modern tennis, hit weak groundies, run like a rabbit, get great exercise, and lose every match.

rofl_copter3 08-25-2013 01:46 PM

You either need to improve your baseline game or take the first short ball and hit a deep approach to transition to the net...

Frank Silbermann 08-25-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ian09rush (Post 7691533)
OK pardon me for being a newb here, I'm sure this has been discussed before some very long time ago but I don't want to dig up some prehistoric archive.

I have a very good touch on volleys and I generally struggle to generate as much top spin as other competitive modern players; moreover, power has never been part of my game plan (except for s&vs). Should I venture up at no man's land if my opponent moon balls me or rallies me? I won't wander up randomly because my opponent can aim at my feet obviously. However, in a slow rally, the other guy with more spin and comfortable at baseline would always win. Should I play to my string, go up and open up more angles/make the opponent comfortable? Although I know this is generally advised against.

Cheers

Yes, if you are better at the net than your opponents are at the baseline, OF COURSE you should volley the pusher's high floaters from no-man's land. He might force you to stop doing that by hitting harder, but why not make him show what he's got?

ProgressoR 08-25-2013 06:16 PM

agree with others, play to your strengths. Just go for it.

Baxter 08-25-2013 06:32 PM

OK, I get it now. "Should I volley my opponent's weak groundstrokes out of the air from NML?"
Why not? Go for it and see if it works.

pkshooter 08-25-2013 06:40 PM

I love hitting volleys from no mans land. You look sexy hitting a swinging volley, they never see it coming, great angles... But I'm 16 so, salt.

Baxter 08-26-2013 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pkshooter (Post 7692087)
I love hitting volleys from no mans land. You look sexy hitting a swinging volley, they never see it coming, great angles... But I'm 16 so, salt.

Awesome! Swinging volleys from nml take serious skill.