Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Stringee blaming stringer for string breaks..... (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=475365)

The Meat 08-30-2013 08:39 PM

Stringee blaming stringer for string breaks.....

So I've been stringing for a friend for a while and he always breaks string every few days. He used to use a 115 Wilson Hammer and now a steam 105S, always give him 16g or 17g. Very fast swing speed and likes to brush hard.

Keeps blaming me for his strings breaking every few days and he tried using babolat pro hurricane at 16g, broke that in 3 days. Never paid me for a single string job yet.

Should I completely drop him from my stringing list? What are your experiences with these kinds of people?

All broken on sweetspot, notching.

mikeler 08-30-2013 08:53 PM

Start charging him $30 per job.

newpball 08-30-2013 09:01 PM

Your friend is blaming you for him breaking his strings? :shock:

Well then in order to salvage whatever is left of your friendship I would suggest doing no more string jobs for him.

Roger Wawrinka 08-30-2013 09:04 PM

Sounds like he's not a very good friend if he's blaming you for something that's really not your fault. That's tough man.

The Meat 08-30-2013 10:09 PM

I know, it's been going on since last summer. He should really invest in a string reel or a 18x20 racquet. :p

The Meat 08-30-2013 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 7707498)
Start charging him $30 per job.

It would have to be polylon or ogsm to make up for the cost of the reel lol.

newpball 08-30-2013 10:11 PM

As an alternative string his rackets with 15L kevlar. :grin:

The Meat 08-31-2013 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newpball (Post 7707692)
As an alternative string his rackets with 15L kevlar. :grin:

Still would manage to break it and blame me. ;)

Maui19 08-31-2013 04:06 AM

Stop stringing for him.

Irvin 08-31-2013 04:06 AM

Did you ever stop to think maybe it really is your fault? I mean if you did not keep stringing his rackets he would not break them. Maybe you should suggest he use another stringer to see if his strings and his money last longer. Maybe you could allow his to use your machine with his strings to see if he could do a better job.

I do know this, the longer you let this go on the more you are going to have to support him. Maybe he thinks you just like stringing rackets and he wants to be your friend.

GlenK 08-31-2013 04:34 AM

I would let him move on and find another stringer. If he's the only one of your customers with this complaint then it's clearly not something you're doing wrong.

You could recommend another stringer you know and then check with him after he strings for this guy and see what happened.

The Meat 08-31-2013 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 7708028)
Did you ever stop to think maybe it really is your fault? I mean if you did not keep stringing his rackets he would not break them. Maybe you should suggest he use another stringer to see if his strings and his money last longer. Maybe you could allow his to use your machine with his strings to see if he could do a better job.

I do know this, the longer you let this go on the more you are going to have to support him. Maybe he thinks you just like stringing rackets and he wants to be your friend.

Breaking due to notching definitely not any kinks or defects in string, i'm very careful trust me. ;)
I usually string my other friends racquets as well, no problems there.

I told him to try another stringer, he'll still keep breaking strings. Then I won't take him back. :)

Squidward 08-31-2013 05:03 AM

If he's never paid for a stringjob then all he's lost is time.

Let him find another stringer for awhile. (One he has to "Pay" for)

If the same thing continues, it's something he's doing. If it ceases, maybe it is something in the way you do his racquets. Either way, you'll know.

Once that is figured out, have him buy his own set/reel of whatever string he chooses.

Good Luck

gmatheis 08-31-2013 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Meat (Post 7707443)
So I've been stringing for a friend for a while and he always breaks string every few days. He used to use a 115 Wilson Hammer and now a steam 105S, always give him 16g or 17g. Very fast swing speed and likes to brush hard.

Keeps blaming me for his strings breaking every few days and he tried using babolat pro hurricane at 16g, broke that in 3 days. Never paid me for a single string job yet.

Should I completely drop him from my stringing list? What are your experiences with these kinds of people?

All broken on sweetspot, notching.

This is why he breaks strings ... about his only option with that racket is Kevlar.

Irvin 08-31-2013 05:14 AM

I was being facetious, if you don't string them he won't break them and blame you. I was not really insinuating it was your fault the strings broke.

So if he goes to someone else youll get mad and won't string for him any more? Sounds like you want to string his sticks so what's the problem he is just making you happier?

Sund like to me it a younger adult stringing for a younger adult. You want to get paid but don't want to ask for payment. Well you don't have to ask. If you want payment for stringing tell him up front you can't keep doing it for nothing and how much it will cost. I have a few customers that blame me or the strings for their string breaking. I don't mind at all. I tell them I make more that way.

BabolatTennis9 08-31-2013 06:23 AM

3 days is a while to break 16 gauge strings on the 99s i broke 16 gauge krischbaum spiky sharks in a day when i tried that kind of string pattern (i strung my yonex with every other cross)

The Meat 08-31-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 7708087)
I was being facetious, if you don't string them he won't break them and blame you. I was not really insinuating it was your fault the strings broke.

So if he goes to someone else youll get mad and won't string for him any more? Sounds like you want to string his sticks so what's the problem he is just making you happier?

Sund like to me it a younger adult stringing for a younger adult. You want to get paid but don't want to ask for payment. Well you don't have to ask. If you want payment for stringing tell him up front you can't keep doing it for nothing and how much it will cost. I have a few customers that blame me or the strings for their string breaking. I don't mind at all. I tell them I make more that way.

I didn't take any offense to your previous comment, I was thinking of dropping him from my stringing list eventually because of this recurring problem. I was joking around when I said I wouldn't take him back, it's my sense of humor sorry if there was a misunderstanding. I really dislike people who abuse their friend's kind gestures.

unorthodox stringing 08-31-2013 07:35 PM

The fact that you're hesitating shows this friendship means something to you.

Have you ever asked for payment? Could be a barter in return for him paying for balls and court fees or even repairing your leaky roof.

If you have not broached the topic, give him a chance. You'll feel better dropping him too if he still refuses to pay.

Check out the restringing charges around your area. See if you can charge slightly cheaper for a friendship discount as long as you can cover your costs. Your time ain't free too!

I made the mistake of not enforcing payment for a doubles group. Together, they owe me more than a grand now!

zapvor 08-31-2013 07:36 PM

why are you doing it for free??????????

SwankPeRFection 08-31-2013 09:18 PM

Have you tried to sit down with him and explain that the cause of the breaks are probably due to the extreme amount of movement on the new S racquets. If he's killing the same string in the different racquet in the sweetspot, have him go back to his hold racquet for the same amount of time it usually takes him to break the string. If it doesn't break, well gee... Another thing you need to do is simply lower the tension of what you're giving him. He probably won't notice anyway. Drop it 5 lbs and see if it increases his breaking time. Work from there. Talk to your customers, don't just point fingers back and forth.