Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Any Breaking Bad fans in here? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=477412)

Claudius 09-15-2013 08:27 PM

Any Breaking Bad fans in here?

Kinda surprised there isn't a BB thread yet. Season 5 part 2 has been insane so far!

gavna 09-16-2013 07:27 AM

Yep - not surprised about Hank. Looks like its gonna get really really ugly for Jesse.
I really hope that family gets it...... especially TODD!!! Hate that kid and his relatives - hope they get bad.

Did you know that AMC is spinning off the Saul Goodman character into his own show? Gonna have to be goofy/dark/funny/shocking all at once.

ollinger 09-16-2013 08:18 AM

The culture has gone in a new tangent --- bad guys versus worse guys (BB, Sopranos, Dexter, Ray Donovan...) --- probably a reflection of our politics.

neverstopplaying 09-16-2013 12:22 PM

My favorite series ever!

Haven't started watching the last section of season 5 yet though.

Nathaniel_Near 09-16-2013 01:21 PM

Really enjoy the show, but can't empathise with the characters and find the show impersonal. I admire it greatly from a sort of distant position, where as there have been other shows that gripped me on an emotional level much more deeply.

Claudius 09-16-2013 02:37 PM

How crazy was last night's episode? Best BB episode ever..hell best episode in television history? Bryan Cranston just won another emmy.

TW Staff 09-16-2013 02:50 PM

ME!!! ;-)

I came into work desperately wanting someone else to understand how crazy last night's BB was...but all my fellow playtesters are either non-BB fans or seasons far, far behind!

(spoiler alert)

Love this show, love the cast, love the characters and character development and it takes place in my old stomping grounds (so it's fun for me to see Albuquerque, and as they always say, the city has become a character of its own)! I think the show has done well being consistent throughout, it's just insane to see the direction Walt has gone in (although it is called Breaking Bad for a reason and last night we saw the LIE that started it all), and to me, how Jesse has worn his heart on his sleeve (in his own way) throughout the series.

Last night was INTENSE -- the part between Skyler and Walt on the phone really got me! Only two more episodes left!?!

P.S. I met Bryan Cranston last year and he is an amazingly smart, witty, and nice guy! Great actor, really cool personality!

Michelle, TW

myservenow 09-16-2013 03:13 PM

What is funny is I thought that Breaking Bad was sort of a comedy before I started watching it a few months ago. High school Chemistry teacher makes meth. Anyway, after years of hearing how good it was, someone forced the first three seasons dvds on to me. I watched all three over two weekends. Borrowed the other seasons the next week and finished them off before catching up to the first half of this season On Demand. It is actually weird having to wait a week in between episodes.

At first I liked Walt, hated Jesse, and disliked Skylar. Then, I liked Walt, liked Jesse, and hated Skylar. Then I hated Walt, liked Jesse and liked Skylar. Then I liked Mike and really hated Walt. My hatred for Walt got so bad at the end of last season and first part of this season that thought I needed to stop watching altogether. I didn't.

Last night's episode was really good. I honestly have no earthly idea how it is all going to end. Unlike other good shows that disappoint everyone with their endings, I believe BB will leave everyone stunned and numb as the final credits roll. My guess is that Walt is going to get what is coming to him but he will sort of repent and redeem himself as a human before it ends. Or he will at least be seen in a sympathetic light at the end.

Better Call Saul.

Nostradamus 09-16-2013 03:34 PM

what is exactly good about this show ? HS teacher makes meth to make extra buck. nothing new there.

rdis10093 09-16-2013 03:41 PM

I dont know anything about the show, but is meth really want Americans have turned to for entertainment?

TW Staff 09-16-2013 03:55 PM

Yep, same old, same old! Hence all the awards and fans! ;)

It isn't just a "meth" show...but more of a normal, everyday guy living life day to day who ends up with a life-threatening disease with a year to live and is worried how he is going to leave his family -- a wife, teenager with cerebral palsy and baby on the way...

And it goes from there! Gotta watch it to get it...it isn't for everyone though.

The writing is pretty brilliant, in my opinion, but that's just me. Vince Gilligan has done a great job with this one.

Michelle, TW

Abbygrant 09-16-2013 04:19 PM

I love BB and have watched since season 1. Last night's episode was so intense. Sadly, I don't have any fellow fans at work to discuss it with.

Walter White/ Heisenberg is an incredible character. I think he's going to go full circle in the end. I think he will redeem himself so that his family can have a life. But I'm sure the final episode will have twists and turns. I really disliked Skylar in beginning, but I've come to like her.

Midaso240 09-16-2013 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claudius (Post 7761800)
How crazy was last night's episode? Best BB episode ever..hell best episode in television history? Bryan Cranston just won another emmy.

Probably. My #1 before would have been the series finale of Six Feet Under but I think this episode is better.

arche3 09-16-2013 07:05 PM

Skyler should not of betrayed Walt. His brother in law the dea agent should of let it go after he learned Walts cancer is back. He gets what he gets. It was ego that made him pursue Walt even when he knew Walt was out of the biz and dying. Deserved to be shot. Walt needs to go merc all the **** crazies for stealing his money and then shoot Jesse pinkman himself.

Sander001 09-16-2013 08:56 PM

Found seasons 1+2 to be the best but these final few eps are quite exciting to see for us long time fans! Although the end is largely set up now, it's very interesting to watch Walter's character take this last step and fulfill the title of the show. I don't know of any show which has transformed its protagonist from anti-hero to outright villain so expertly(or any that have even attempted to do so).
Quote:

Originally Posted by TW Staff (Post 7761934)
Yep, same old, same old! Hence all the awards and fans! ;)

It isn't just a "meth" show...but more of a normal, everyday guy living life day to day who ends up with a life-threatening disease with a year to live and is worried how he is going to leave his family -- a wife, teenager with cerebral palsy and baby on the way...

And it goes from there! Gotta watch it to get it...it isn't for everyone though.

The writing is pretty brilliant, in my opinion, but that's just me. Vince Gilligan has done a great job with this one.

Michelle, TW

In other words: The disillusionment of the American Dream. Breaking Bad is the epitome of the guilty pleasure!

acura9927 09-17-2013 04:50 AM

Got to catch up by buying all the DVDs on amazon or the bay

So I have missed 2 eposides so far of season 6 right. Perhaps, I can dvr all of season 6.

Andyroddickfan 09-17-2013 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arche3 (Post 7762278)
Skyler should not of betrayed Walt. His brother in law the dea agent should of let it go after he learned Walts cancer is back. He gets what he gets. It was ego that made him pursue Walt even when he knew Walt was out of the biz and dying. Deserved to be shot. Walt needs to go merc all the **** crazies for stealing his money and then shoot Jesse pinkman himself.

Skylar didn't betray Walt? The hank comment is laughable. Jesse doesn't deserve to get shot. C'mon man!

TW Staff 09-17-2013 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sander001 (Post 7762427)
In other words: The disillusionment of the American Dream. Breaking Bad is the epitome of the guilty pleasure!

Ding, ding, ding ;)

I never thought Walt actually would make the full turn to the bad side! Throughout this whole last season, (even in Sunday's) I've been in slight doubt that he's authentically this evil version of himself. Hearing him speak to Skyler the way he did...I thought it was some con and part of his master plan...but it seemed pretty real to me! I guess when he put the hit on Jesse, I realized Walt has definitely turned for the worst.

Can't wait for next Sunday!

(I think most of the seasons are on NetFlix as well for anyone needing to do some catch up work)

And now I'm craving a breakfast burrito from Twisters, or as you guys know it as, Los Pollos Hermanos!

Michelle, TW

TimeSpiral 09-17-2013 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TW Staff (Post 7763129)
Ding, ding, ding ;)

I never thought Walt actually would make the full turn to the bad side! Throughout this whole last season, (even in Sunday's) I've been in slight doubt that he's authentically this evil version of himself. Hearing him speak to Skyler the way he did...I thought it was some con and part of his master plan...but it seemed pretty real to me! I guess when he put the hit on Jesse, I realized Walt has definitely turned for the worst.

Can't wait for next Sunday!

(I think most of the seasons are on NetFlix as well for anyone needing to do some catch up work)

And now I'm craving a breakfast burrito from Twisters, or as you guys know it as, Los Pollos Hermanos!

Michelle, TW

My wife made and interesting observation (Yes, Batman is married. Sorry, ladies!) about that specific phone conversation:

Walt specifically asked if the police were there, knowing they would be there, and knowing Skylar would lie about it. Knowing the police would be recording the call, because of the Amber alert (which was part of his plan, to involve the police), he had to create the impression like he was speaking frankly and privately with his wife. Once this scenario was credible to the police, he could essentially indict himself while indemnifying Sklyar and his family by saying things like (paraphrasing): you wanted me to stop, but it wasn't you, you didn't know anything, it was me. I did this. If my memory serves me, Skylar even picked up on this and cryptically thanked him for his sacrifice, by saying, thank you.

It wasn't so much a genuinely evil Walt, but Walt being the most logical choice for a fall-guy, and that play being the only real one left to give his family a shot at life after his passing. Even the hit on Jesse was ultimately for his family.

I mean, that is what the whole show is about: Walt attempting to care for his family after being bankrupt and killed by a sickness. The threads of social commentary, and how ridiculously ***-backwards the US healthcare system is with perspective to the rest of the modern world, were thickly present in the beginning of this series, and still rear their ugly head even as the series is ending.

Breaking Bad communicates some of the most genius and provoking social commentary I've ever see, and does so without being preachy.

Abbygrant 09-17-2013 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimeSpiral (Post 7763175)
My wife made and interesting observation (Yes, Batman is married. Sorry, ladies!) about that specific phone conversation:

Walt specifically asked if the police were there, knowing they would be there, and knowing Skylar would lie about it. Knowing the police would be recording the call, because of the Amber alert (which was part of his plan, to involve the police), he had to create the impression like he was speaking frankly and privately with his wife. Once this scenario was credible to the police, he could essentially indict himself while indemnifying Sklyar and his family by saying things like (paraphrasing): you wanted me to stop, but it wasn't you, you didn't know anything, it was me. I did this. If my memory serves me, Skylar even picked up on this and cryptically thanked him for his sacrifice, by saying, thank you.

It wasn't so much a genuinely evil Walt, but Walt being the most logical choice for a fall-guy, and that play being the only real one left to give his family a shot at life after his passing. Even the hit on Jesse was ultimately for his family.

I mean, that is what the whole show is about: Walt attempting to care for his family after being bankrupt and killed by a sickness. The threads of social commentary, and how ridiculously ***-backwards the US healthcare system is with perspective to the rest of the modern world, were thickly present in the beginning of this series, and still rear their ugly head even as the series is ending.

Breaking Bad communicates some of the most genius and provoking social commentary I've ever see, and does so without being preachy.

It was obvious that the phone conversation between Walt & Skylar was Walt's attempt to keep her out of it and lead the police to believe that she was an abused wife. That allows her to have a life and maintain a relationship with her sister. Walt is still trying to take care of his family.