Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Should the point have been replayed? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=477836)

Ironwood 09-20-2013 07:34 AM

Should the point have been replayed?
 
Played our clubs end of summer season mens doubles tournament this week. Just one set with tiebreaker at 6 all, so it could be run off on a couple nights per week over 3 weeks. Just a club tournament with not even a trophy on the line. I was serving at 5-4, 40-30 match point. My first serve appeared to catch the center service line, and the receiver approached the net to shake hands. His partner after what must have been a 10 second delay, calls 'out'! The receiver who was now at the net says 'I thought it was good', but then goes silent, while his partner, who was more than twice his age firmly insisted 'out'. The receiver offered first service to replay the point, but his partner said no....I could have put my second serve in play much quicker had I not protested the call. I served a second, we went on to loose that game. We eventually went to a tiebreaker, which we won 7-4, so justice prevailed.
Was I entitled to a first service to replay the contested point? The delay between first and second service was largely my doing as I was protesting a vey late and questionable 'out' call on match point. But even if I had taken an immediate second service, the delayed call still would have prevented play being 'reasonably continuous' However, my opponent was correct in asserting I was responsible for the delay of about 2 minutes between first and second serve.
What's the call....should the point have been replayed?

TimeSpiral 09-20-2013 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironwood (Post 7769539)
Played our clubs end of summer season mens doubles tournament this week. Just one set with tiebreaker at 6 all, so it could be run off on a couple nights per week over 3 weeks. Just a club tournament with not even a trophy on the line. I was serving at 5-4, 40-30 match point. My first serve appeared to catch the center service line, and the receiver approached the net to shake hands. His partner after what must have been a 10 second delay, calls 'out'! The receiver who was now at the net says 'I thought it was good', but then goes silent, while his partner, who was more than twice his age firmly insisted 'out'. The receiver offered first service to replay the point, but his partner said no....I could have put my second serve in play much quicker had I not protested the call. I served a second, we went on to loose that game. We eventually went to a tiebreaker, which we won 7-4, so justice prevailed.
Was I entitled to a first service to replay the contested point? The delay between first and second service was largely my doing as I was protesting a vey late and questionable 'out' call on match point. But even if I had taken an immediate second service, the delayed call still would have prevented play being 'reasonably continuous' However, my opponent was correct in asserting I was responsible for the delay of about 2 minutes between first and second serve.
What's the call....should the point have been replayed?

You don't replay the point, you win the point.
Starting in 2011, the USTA Tennis Rules and Regulations Committee has determined that any call on a serve or in a rally corrected from out to good is loss of point to the player or team that corrected the call, even if the ball is put back into play. An out call on any ball (on a serve or in a rally) that is corrected to good is considered to have created a hindrance to play and it is loss of point due to this hindrance.

NOTE: The only exception is on the first or second serve that is a service let (i.e. the ball hits the net before it lands in the service box). Let serves that occur on first or second serve and called out and are then corrected to good result in the replay of the entire point, thus a first serve to the server.

http://www.usta.com/Improve-Your-Gam...ng_on_a_serve/

However, assuming you're not going to be a stickler--sometimes it's not easy to invoke these rules, and who knows what type of line calling precedent was set in the match--since you caused the delay, I would say you do not get another first serve. Next time, just invoke the proper rule and take the point, or in this case, the match.

tennis tom 09-20-2013 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironwood (Post 7769539)

...My first serve appeared to catch the center service line, and the receiver approached the net to shake hands. His partner after what must have been a 10 second delay, calls 'out'!

...The receiver who was now at the net says 'I thought it was good', but then goes silent, while his partner, who was more than twice his age firmly insisted 'out'.

...The receiver offered first service to replay the point, but his partner said no....


Should have been your point, if doubles partners disagree on a call, as they clearly did in your scenario, POINT GOES TO THEIR OPPONENTS--no replay. As you say, nothing on the outcome, no trophy, bragging rights at the club bar--and a little matter of honor.

I subbed in a similar type of match just yesterday, very "competitive" old farts--except when it comes to calling out the score when they are down--suddenly the Alzheimers kicks in--but no trouble remembering the score loudly when they are up 40-5. Suddenly the throat gets dry calling your ball landing near the baseline good or not--of course it was "long"--"Didn't you hear me call it out?"--when they tell you two points later after confusion about the score because you assumed it was good because there was no audible call, but was tired of asking: "How was it?" after every point on their baseline--would it be so hard to point a finger for out or palm down for good?? I couldn't leave fast enough and the next time they call me to sub I'll be "busy".

schmke 09-20-2013 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimeSpiral (Post 7769556)
You don't replay the point, you win the point.
Starting in 2011, the USTA Tennis Rules and Regulations Committee has determined that any call on a serve or in a rally corrected from out to good is loss of point to the player or team that corrected the call, even if the ball is put back into play. An out call on any ball (on a serve or in a rally) that is corrected to good is considered to have created a hindrance to play and it is loss of point due to this hindrance.

NOTE: The only exception is on the first or second serve that is a service let (i.e. the ball hits the net before it lands in the service box). Let serves that occur on first or second serve and called out and are then corrected to good result in the replay of the entire point, thus a first serve to the server.

http://www.usta.com/Improve-Your-Gam...ng_on_a_serve/

However, assuming you're not going to be a stickler--sometimes it's not easy to invoke these rules, and who knows what type of line calling precedent was set in the match--since you caused the delay, I would say you do not get another first serve. Next time, just invoke the proper rule and take the point, or in this case, the match.

Ummm, not sure how this applies. The OP situation was not a change from out to good but either from good to out or simply a very late out call. What you quoted does not address this situation.

Now, you could argue that you win the point because the non-returning opponent said it was good. From Friend At Court:

"14. Partnersí disagreement on calls. If one partner calls the ball out and the
other partner sees the ball good, the ball is good."

But to your original question, if the delayed call really was 10 seconds and the other 3 players on the court had left their positions and were at the net to shake hands, yes, that would IMHO be a delay that would justify a first serve.

LuckyR 09-20-2013 08:11 AM

If the receiver acted as if it was "in" because he didn't see the ball and assumed it was "in" because of the 10 second delay in his partner's calling the shot, then the ball is "out", no first serve.

But in reality the returner said he thought the ball was "in", therefore there is conflict between the partners hence the ball is "in" by the rules above.

Ironwood 09-20-2013 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis tom (Post 7769591)
Should have been your point, if the opponent's disagree on a call, as they clearly did in your scenario, POINT GOES TO THE OPPONENTS--no replay. As you say, nothing on the outcome, no trophy, bragging rights at the club bar--and a little matter of honor.

I subbed in a similar type of match just yesterday, very "competitive" old farts--except when it comes to calling out the score when they are down--suddenly the Alzheimers kicks in--but no trouble remembering the score loudly when they are up 40-5. Suddenly the throat gets dry calling your ball landing near the baseline good or not--of course it was "long"--"Didn't you hear me call it out?"--when they tell you two points later after confusion about the score because you assumed it was good because there was no audible call, but was tired of asking: "How was it?" after every point on their baseline--would it be so hard to point a finger for out or palm down for good?? I couldn't leave fast enough and the next time they call me to sub I'll be "busy".

Tennis Tom.....I play seniors tennis, and don't get me started on line calls amongst that group! You would think they would be more charitable on calls than the younger set, but not at all! Some of the more habitual 'bad' line callers I encounter are the still competitive over 65ers.

mikeler 09-20-2013 08:22 AM

Aside from the partner's disagreement issue, another point in the OP's favor is that the call was not made promptly.

jk175d 09-20-2013 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironwood (Post 7769539)
The receiver who was now at the net says 'I thought it was good', but then goes silent, while his partner, who was more than twice his age firmly insisted 'out'.

that's the end of it right there. If there's disagreement on the call between the two partners the ball was good.

TimeSpiral 09-20-2013 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schmke (Post 7769597)
Ummm, not sure how this applies. The OP situation was not a change from out to good but either from good to out or simply a very late out call. What you quoted does not address this situation.

Snip!

Nah. I think you may have just misread. Look again:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironwood (Post 7769539)
Snip!

His partner [...] calls 'out'! The receiver [..] says 'I thought it was good' [...] Snip!

A ball that is 99% out is 100% in. The original call was out. His partner said he thought it was in. (a) the ball is in, and (b) the disagreement means the point is lost.

goober 09-20-2013 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironwood (Post 7769620)
Tennis Tom.....I play seniors tennis, and don't get me started on line calls amongst that group! You would think they would be more charitable on calls than the younger set, but not at all! Some of the more habitual 'bad' line callers I encounter are the still competitive over 65ers.

Most of the really bad line callers I have come across have been seniors. Some of them could be from bad eyesight, but then they always call close balls in their favor, never the other way around.

Joeyg 09-20-2013 08:55 AM

Had this happen in a USTA tourney in 2000. Once the opponent said he thought it was good, the point is over in your favor (regardless what his partner said). In our case, the opponents partner started cursing and threatening me when I told him it was our point. Called the tourney director and she basically told him point was ours and to play or leave.

goober 09-20-2013 09:15 AM

Everyone is quoting USTA regulations, but clubs are under no obligation to play by USTA rules for the tourneys or leagues and often don't. Club matches can sometimes be tricky in that they can have their own set rules or they can follow USTA rules, but often it isn't clear. Pulling out USTA friend of the court for a private club match may not really endear you to the club members nor will it serve as some sort of final authority like it could in a USTA match. A lot of club players are use to playing lets in their social matches when 2 people disagree and will do so even in club league matches.

On the one hand you probably got bullied on that point, but on the other I am not sure if it is worth it to make a huge scene out of the situation for a nothing tournament and possible longer term consequences if you are a member of the club.

schmke 09-20-2013 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimeSpiral (Post 7769685)
Nah. I think you may have just misread. Look again:



A ball that is 99% out is 100% in. The original call was out. His partner said he thought it was in. (a) the ball is in, and (b) the disagreement means the point is lost.

Except what you quoted applies to an actual out call made during play that could be a hinderance and the point loss being because of this hinderance. This did not happen in this case, the out call wasn't made until 10 seconds later. I'd also contend the non-returning partner walking to the net was an implicit "good" call so it was changed from in to out.

But further, you are now quoting the disagreement rule which wasn't in your original response which is the real rule that applies here and the one I quoted.

beernutz 09-20-2013 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironwood (Post 7769539)
Played our clubs end of summer season mens doubles tournament this week. Just one set with tiebreaker at 6 all, so it could be run off on a couple nights per week over 3 weeks. Just a club tournament with not even a trophy on the line. I was serving at 5-4, 40-30 match point. My first serve appeared to catch the center service line, and the receiver approached the net to shake hands. His partner after what must have been a 10 second delay, calls 'out'! The receiver who was now at the net says 'I thought it was good', but then goes silent, while his partner, who was more than twice his age firmly insisted 'out'. The receiver offered first service to replay the point, but his partner said no....I could have put my second serve in play much quicker had I not protested the call. I served a second, we went on to loose that game. We eventually went to a tiebreaker, which we won 7-4, so justice prevailed.
Was I entitled to a first service to replay the contested point? The delay between first and second service was largely my doing as I was protesting a vey late and questionable 'out' call on match point. But even if I had taken an immediate second service, the delayed call still would have prevented play being 'reasonably continuous' However, my opponent was correct in asserting I was responsible for the delay of about 2 minutes between first and second serve.
What's the call....should the point have been replayed?

Did the receiver actually shake someone's hand at the net? Not that the other team had any case at all anyway given the delayed call and the disagreement between partners, if a concession handshake had occurred that would seal it for me.

TimeSpiral 09-20-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schmke (Post 7769744)
Except what you quoted applies to an actual out call made during play that could be a hinderance and the point loss being because of this hinderance. This did not happen in this case, the out call wasn't made until 10 seconds later. I'd also contend the non-returning partner walking to the net was an implicit "good" call so it was changed from in to out.

But further, you are now quoting the disagreement rule which wasn't in your original response which is the real rule that applies here and the one I quoted.

I think we're splittin' hairs here, brother. It specifies in the rule that, "[...] any call on a serve or in a rally [...]" that is called out, then corrected, constitutes a hindrance. It's the out call that creates the hindrance. The delayed call doesn't really matter in this case. We don't know whether or not it was an ace, or a service winner, but either way, both rules apply in this case, imo.

Plus: I've got five bucks that the late call was 2-5-ish seconds late. The OP did say, what must have been a 10 second delay. It probably just felt super late. I've never seen a call that late before, unless the other person just assumed the out call because it was like two feet out, then had to clarify.

schmke 09-20-2013 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimeSpiral (Post 7769851)
I think we're splittin' hairs here, brother. It specifies in the rule that, "[...] any call on a serve or in a rally [...]" that is called out, then corrected, constitutes a hindrance. It's the out call that creates the hindrance. The delayed call doesn't really matter in this case. We don't know whether or not it was an ace, or a service winner, but either way, both rules apply in this case, imo.

Plus: I've got five bucks that the late call was 2-5-ish seconds late. The OP did say, what must have been a 10 second delay. It probably just felt super late. I've never seen a call that late before, unless the other person just assumed the out call because it was like two feet out, then had to clarify.

Yes, we are splitting hairs, but someone is going to come read this thread some day and I don't want them to be confused and start applying the wrong rules in situations.

My last statement will be this. How can a call 5 seconds (I'll even let you assume the 10 seconds was just 5) after the point is over and the receiver is approaching the net to shake hands be a hinderance? The rule you cited is clearly about calls made during play. This call was made well after playing the point was over and thus can't apply as a hinderance. It is simply the rule about partners disagreeing that applies here.

gmatheis 09-20-2013 10:25 AM

The only thing that really matters here is that the returner actually made the statement "I thought it was good".

Whether your club goes by USTA rules or not, it is basic tennis etiquette that when playing doubles and partners disagree on a call the benefit of the doubt goes to their opponents.

TimeSpiral 09-20-2013 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schmke (Post 7769877)
Yes, we are splitting hairs, but someone is going to come read this thread some day and I don't want them to be confused and start applying the wrong rules in situations.

Me too! I'm sensitive about propogating incorrect information and I'm all for admitting when I'm wrong. It happens all the time, but I don't think I'm wrong here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by schmke EMPHASIS ADDED (Post 7769877)
My last statement will be this. How can a call 5 seconds (I'll even let you assume the 10 seconds was just 5) after the point is over and the receiver is approaching the net to shake hands be a hinderance? The rule you cited is clearly about calls made during play. This call was made well after playing the point was over and thus can't apply as a hinderance. It is simply the rule about partners disagreeing that applies here.

Let's look at the rule again:
Starting in 2011, the USTA Tennis Rules and Regulations Committee has determined that any call on a serve or in a rally corrected from out to good is loss of point to the player or team that corrected the call, even if the ball is put back into play. An out call on any ball (on a serve or in a rally) that is corrected to good is considered to have created a hindrance to play and it is loss of point due to this hindrance.

NOTE: The only exception is on the first or second serve that is a service let (i.e. the ball hits the net before it lands in the service box). Let serves that occur on first or second serve and called out and are then corrected to good result in the replay of the entire point, thus a first serve to the server.

http://www.usta.com/Improve-Your-Gam...ng_on_a_serve/
The call was made on a serve. The rule clearly specifies that calls on the serve are governed by this rule. That "even if" clause that I underlined indicates that it applies to the call regardless of whether or not the ball was put back into play. In other words: if the ball was not put back into play, then obviously play has stopped, but if the out call is corrected, then this rule applies.

What am I missing here? The rule is written rather unambiguously in my opinion.

Mongolmike 09-20-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmatheis (Post 7769901)
The only thing that really matters here is that the returner actually made the statement "I thought it was good".

Whether your club goes by USTA rules or not, it is basic tennis etiquette that when playing doubles and partners disagree on a call the benefit of the doubt goes to their opponents.


This is what should be important. Anything said after the receiver said "I thought it was good" doesn't matter. The point was over when he said that. Now if you are playing house rules (allow a "do over") is a different matter. The point was over.

Angle Queen 09-20-2013 10:57 AM

Ok guys. Help me out here. Isn't this scenario just a bit different from the quoted citation in that "the call" (that being the receiver heading to the net in acknowledgement of game/match over) was/wanted to be changed from good to out (not the reverse)?

I'm with gmatheis on this one, though: regardless of when it was implied or actually said, the receiver said/thought it was good. End of point. End of game. End of match.

We had the rule's scenario happen in our non-USTA match this week and I thought it was handled beautifully by our opponents. 40*-30. My partner served; the net/linecaller initially called it out...but then, almost immediately reversed herself and called it good. Her partner, the receiver had gotten the ball back. But we had all stopped play on the initial "out" call. Point and game over. The linecaller apologized to both her partner and mine for the bad call (which really wasn't necessary; it happens and she was very quick to correct herself). The receiver initially tried to argue that it was a replay because she'd returned the ball but her partner, the errant linecaller, carefully and politely explained the "new" rule and we all moved on. After the match, the receiver did ask her captain for an explanation and got the same one -- a "changed" call...goes to the opponent.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse