Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Racquet feeling lighter. (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=477887)

kvan 09-20-2013 04:02 PM

Racquet feeling lighter.

So, my serving was great today, but I noticed more so at the beginning of my practice that my serves (especially my topspin kickers) were way more consistent than when I got in my usual "grooving" time. I think this may be attributed to the fact that items you hold for an extended period of time feel lighter and lighter as you hold them (up to a certain point of course). My racquet's weight seems more "solid" at the start of my my warmup than at the end, which may be because I need to adjust my timing for a lighter feeling racquet- and exaggeratedly so for my serving. Is technique the issue? Is the racquet weight an issue? Anyone else experience this?

Note that I do love my c10s and I've added a couple grams of weight around 3 and 9 and have a flared buttcap along with an over grip, which counterbalance most of the lead, but I just wanted some input about this situation.

LeeD 09-20-2013 04:20 PM

what is "normal"?
And our game changes, as do our physical strengths, weaknesses, and preferences.
Sometimes you hit good, sometimes you don't.

kvan 09-20-2013 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7770658)
what is "normal"?
And our game changes, as do our physical strengths, weaknesses, and preferences.
Sometimes you hit good, sometimes you don't.

I get this, but this has been happening quite consistently. I'm just wondering if there's a way to make the racquet feel more consistent in the weight department than it is now during a practice session or match... upping the weight, for instance. But then once I get used to that the same problem, the same thing will eventually happen. Eventually, I can't have my racquets end up weighing something crazy like 17oz.

LeeD 09-20-2013 04:39 PM

Accept the weight of your racket.
YOU make the compensation to adjust your game to your racket.
YOUR skills are not good enough to need to tailor a racket spec to your game.

kvan 09-20-2013 04:45 PM

I was just open to discussion to see if anyone experienced similar problems. Thanks for your input though.

LeeD 09-20-2013 04:48 PM

EVERYONE who plays tennis has those feelings sometimes.
YOU just have to accept it as part of tennis competition, and that you have strong days, weak days, and days you can't pinpoint.
What, you never competed in any sports before?

kvan 09-20-2013 05:20 PM

I FEEL like you're misinterpreting the thread.
UNDERSTANDING your point of view, I see nothing wrong with asking about people's experiences and learning from them.
YOU surely don't seem to be an advocate of learning from other people's experiences, which seems odd considering you seemed like such a helpful member of the tt community. Disappointing.
GREAT rhetorical question by the way.

LeeD 09-20-2013 05:30 PM

When I was playing basketball for my school in 8th grade, I was mostly using GoldConverseAllstars. They were the heaviest shoes you could buy at the time for indoor wood courts. My game always consisted of quicker movement and higher jumping, to make up for my lack of shooting skills.
I BELIEVED in those shoes, and played for my school that year, 9th grade, and 3 more years in high school.
You mind can be a powerful tool, or a major crutch.

kvan 09-20-2013 05:45 PM

I still play for my high school. I believe in my racquets as much as you did for those converse. Very true though, I should probably stop thinking so much and enjoy the game for what it is.

LeeD 09-20-2013 05:47 PM

Notice the complete lack of interest by the other posters.
Means we all experience the same thing, almost as often as every 3 playing days.

kvan 09-20-2013 05:55 PM

correlation doesn't imply causation man

redpurusha 09-20-2013 06:32 PM

This is counter to normal playing time of 2-3 sets, during which you are hitting all sorts of shots many times over in between your serves. I can have a perfect service practice for a half hour with no added weight discomfort or even feeling stronger at end. Sadly, this is no way what happens during an actual match and serves starts to break down at end due to heft. I'm thinking of using a slightly lighter (same) racquet for 2nd and 3rd sets or tiebreakers next time. Just won my 1st tiebreaker yesterday despite giving nearly every point on my serve. Don't equate practice with actual play, not the same.

kvan 09-20-2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpurusha (Post 7770902)
This is counter to normal playing time of 2-3 sets, during which you are hitting all sorts of shots many times over in between your serves. I can have a perfect service practice for a half hour with no added weight discomfort or even feeling stronger at end. Sadly, this is no way what happens during an actual match and serves starts to break down at end due to heft. I'm thinking of using a slightly lighter (same) racquet for 2nd and 3rd sets or tiebreakers next time. Just won my 1st tiebreaker yesterday despite giving nearly every point on my serve. Don't equate practice with actual play, not the same.

My problem's exactly the opposite. My serve seems to break down due to the lack of heft. I feel as though I need to slow my racquet head speed down to equate for the fact that my racquet feels lighter. I want my racquet to feel heftier after the initial 30 minutes or so of hitting (practice or in-match, as I have experienced this in both settings). Only if we could balance each other out.

redpurusha 09-20-2013 06:51 PM

I use a heavier 12.9 ounce frame. What's yours?

kvan 09-20-2013 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpurusha (Post 7770944)
I use a heavier 12.9 ounce frame. What's yours?

12.6 ounces, and I imagine balances are similar.

LeeD 09-20-2013 06:54 PM

Maybe Kvan get's stronger as the game wears on?
Maybe Kvan looses control as the game wears on? Loss of control can lead to uncontrolled wild swings..
Maybe lead tape can be added after a specific number of points played?

redpurusha 09-20-2013 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kvan (Post 7770949)
12.6 ounces, and I imagine balances are similar.

The only solution I can think of is having one extra raquet that is a big heavier (add 3-4 grams of lead tape). And vice versa for me. I'm going to try it during match play and get back to you with results.

kvan 09-20-2013 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpurusha (Post 7770954)
The only solution I can think of is having one extra raquet that is a big heavier (add 3-4 grams of lead tape). And vice versa for me. I'm going to try it during match play and get back to you with results.

Sounds good to me. I'll try it out as soon as possible. Need to get more lead. Good luck and hope it works out.

boramiNYC 09-20-2013 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kvan (Post 7770638)
I think this may be attributed to the fact that items you hold for an extended period of time feel lighter and lighter as you hold them (up to a certain point of course).

I'm curious where you get such 'fact'. I don't think I've experienced it in terms of weight. but I think playing better initially after a break before the level settling to a lower level happens sometimes. maybe adrenaline boosting the performance.

kvan 09-21-2013 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boramiNYC (Post 7771084)
I'm curious where you get such 'fact'. I don't think I've experienced it in terms of weight. but I think playing better initially after a break before the level settling to a lower level happens sometimes. maybe adrenaline boosting the performance.

I think almost everyone's experienced the temporary sensation after you were holding/lifting something heavy for a while, then pick up something else, and that item feels a lot lighter for bit of time. If you haven't, I suggest lifting a couple weights for a little, then picking up your phone. You should know what your phone feels like in your hand on a normal basis. It should feel considerably lighter for the first couple of minutes holding it.

I think the same principal is occurring with my racquet... with itself.