Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Analyze my groundstrokes pls (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=477989)

rrayden 09-22-2013 07:50 AM

Analyze my groundstrokes pls

Here are a few videos from my latest hitting session:

http://www.youtube.com/user/rr716100/videos

00000 - forehands, frontside view
00001 - forehands, backside view
00003 - backhands, backside view
00004 - backhands, frontside view

Any criticism, tips, etc are appreciated.

Also if you can try to guess at what approximate NTRP rating could I play... we don't have that rating system here and I was always curious about this :)

One more thing... if you can spare a few more minutes on that channel, there are older hitting videos there... please tell me, do you see any improvements? :oops:

tennis_balla 09-22-2013 08:15 AM

You have a coach hitting with you, you should ask him and not some strangers online who the majority of are at the same level as you or below.
However, if I were to work with you the first thing I'd change is to stop playing tennis with your hands and start playing with your feet, meaning instead of using your feet to get to the ball you reach with your hands instead, stretch and are out of position. Everything starts with the feet, if you don't have that technique is useless. You arm the ball, you have no drive from the legs, your left hand on the forehand collapses down way too early thus killing any chance to use your core (which is another reason you arm it). Your backswing is late on the backhand, which in turn makes you push the stroke and doesn't allow a proper follow through or shoulder turn. That's just off a quick view from the first 2 videos :-)

Pet 09-22-2013 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrayden (Post 7773320)
Here are a few videos from my latest hitting session:

http://www.youtube.com/user/rr716100/videos

00000 - forehands, frontside view
00001 - forehands, backside view
00003 - backhands, backside view
00004 - backhands, frontside view

Any criticism, tips, etc are appreciated.

Also if you can try to guess at what approximate NTRP rating could I play... we don't have that rating system here and I was always curious about this :)

One more thing... if you can spare a few more minutes on that channel, there are older hitting videos there... please tell me, do you see any improvements? :oops:

Your forehand is like Soderlings.

Practise more your movements.

rrayden 09-22-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pet (Post 7773459)
Your forehand is like Soderlings.

Practise more your movements.

Lol how exactly is that? Good or bad? :)

psv255 09-22-2013 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrayden (Post 7773482)
Lol how exactly is that? Good or bad? :)

Take these two guys' advice and run far away from talk tennis for a while.
More efficient movement, less arm. Force yourself to be in position before the ball reaches your contact point.

Look how close your elbow is to your body one one forehand:

But pretty far on another:

You feet need to bring you to the ball for consistent spacing.
(the bottom pic is closer to the spacing you want)

LeeD 09-22-2013 11:06 AM

Shorten you excessively long backswing.
Set you body to create the power.
Your body is flying all over the place throughout most of your strokes, so you think you need to swing faster and longer. Faster and longer makes you late for a lot of shots.
Instead, back to basics. Watch ball, turn shoulders, go to the ball.

dknotty 09-22-2013 11:10 AM

That is quite a long backswing / takeback.

You'll find you get a lot more control and consistency if you shorten it.

rrayden 09-22-2013 11:23 AM

Thank you all for your feedback so far, I think I understand the main idea...

But I don't get what you say here:
Quote:

Originally Posted by psv255 (Post 7773512)

What's the second advice? The one with Soderling? Still not sure what's special about him? He uses more his arm, like me? If so, how was he so good? :)
And why should I "run far away from talk tennis for a while"? :)

psv255 09-22-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrayden (Post 7773598)

What's the second advice? The one with Soderling? Still not sure what's special about him? He uses more his arm, like me? If so, how was he so good? :)

My bad humor, haha :)

Regarding Soderling, he can afford to swing with more arm, because he puts in hours of practice a day and he is using his massive wingspan to his advantage.
For most players, using the arm to create racket head speed leads to injury and inconsistency. Using the hips and shoulders for power, however, takes less effort and usually results in a more stable shot.

Tennis_balla is a high-level coach who gives great advice to many here. I meant that you should take his advice, understand it, and only focus on movement and balance for a while (don't try to take all the advice given here and try it all at once).

Pet 09-22-2013 12:52 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JivAVMB37c0

Forget to cut the backswing. Your forehand looks very good, you have a masive shoulder-hips rotation, and the noobs usually haven´t.

But you plataform is incosistent and jumps to nowhere.

dominikk1985 09-22-2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrayden (Post 7773598)

söderling a a quite funky takeback but about the hardest FH of all time. he regularly hit FHs and 100 mph and just killed the ball. I would not teach his takeback style but he had an elite FH.

rrayden 09-23-2013 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis_balla (Post 7773345)
You have a coach hitting with you, you should ask him and not some strangers online who the majority of are at the same level as you or below.
However, if I were to work with you the first thing I'd change is to stop playing tennis with your hands and start playing with your feet, meaning instead of using your feet to get to the ball you reach with your hands instead, stretch and are out of position. Everything starts with the feet, if you don't have that technique is useless. You arm the ball, you have no drive from the legs, your left hand on the forehand collapses down way too early thus killing any chance to use your core (which is another reason you arm it). Your backswing is late on the backhand, which in turn makes you push the stroke and doesn't allow a proper follow through or shoulder turn. That's just off a quick view from the first 2 videos :-)

Thank you very much. I ask my coach every time, but I think I can take good advice from here also, and this is the proof: good coaches like you telling me to concentrate on the movement first :)

Tennisean 09-23-2013 02:01 AM

Quote:

run far away from talk tennis for a while.

That's the best advice you get here, in hackersville.

RoddickAce 09-23-2013 07:15 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlPVdppfYGs

This is a great video from the "serve doctor", I think it will help a lot with your serve.

Looks like a good overall game though, good luck!

EDIT: Nevermind, that video was 1 year ago and this thread is about groundstrokes.

tennis_balla 09-23-2013 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrayden (Post 7774671)
Thank you very much. I ask my coach every time, but I think I can take good advice from here also, and this is the proof: good coaches like you telling me to concentrate on the movement first :)

Is that your coach in the background? From what I've seen he wasn't offering you much instruction, however the videos were just a snippet of his work so I cannot criticize. The reason I say this however, is that you can hit the ball really well but you need some major fine tuning to your game. Hitting from the baseline as you are is ok, but hand feeds (which the pros do a lot of) and other feeding drills to get you moving the proper way and develop better movement is a must right now. Other things such as shoulder turn, left hand across more on the forehand etc will become much easier when you're there in time to hit the ball. As a player I work with mentioned to me last week, his improvement in his movement through the drills he and I did not only helped him hit a better ball but he's also reading balls much better and knows better where he should be positioned to hit the ball. Meaning, he reads the ball quicker and earlier and moves to the spot where he wants to make contact with the ball, and not following the ball letting it play him. He's the one playing the ball. Hope that makes sense.

sureshs 09-23-2013 08:30 AM

Quote:

More efficient movement, less arm. Force yourself to be in position before the ball reaches your contact point.

Look how close your elbow is to your body one one forehand:

But pretty far on another:

You feet need to bring you to the ball for consistent spacing.
(the bottom pic is closer to the spacing you want)

Why are you posting on the thread and then asking him to leave the forum? Do you think you are the only one who knows how to play tennis? What are your credentials?

psv255 09-23-2013 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 7775213)
Why are you posting on the thread and then asking him to leave the forum? Do you think you are the only one who knows how to play tennis? What are your credentials?

Tone is hard to convey thru text, I was half joking. I suck at tennis as you can tell, but learning a skill transcends the sport. What I meant is to choose a piece of advice that seems reasonable and go with it for a while, not spread one's attention thin with a million small tips from people with varied credentials, as you aptly put. What I hope the images did was demonstrate OP's movement, nothing else. I don't believe that anything I said would hinder OP's game or redirect his attention to trivial points. If so, please point them out and I'll remove them.

sureshs 09-23-2013 08:53 AM

It is not about what you posted, but why you think others are not qualified.

I really don't understand why there are posters who think people here are all full of BS, and yet keep reading and posting here all the time. What does that make them?

boramiNYC 09-23-2013 08:55 AM

don't worry psv, i think shresh isn't having the best day. that's all.

tho I think suresh has a point and I tend to agree on that issue.

psv255 09-23-2013 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 7775248)
It is not about what you posted, but why you think others are not qualified.

I understand your point, sureshs, but I never said that. My first comment was not addressing quality of expertise, but quantity. Most posters here give sound advice, but taking all that good advice at once would not help any more and arguably less than to digest each piece of advice and administer changes selectively and in a sensible manner.
Looking back at what I posted, I was reckless w/ words and sound like a jack**s.
No more derailing...sorry OP