Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Serving stance (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=478055)

rob_f 09-23-2013 12:53 AM

Serving stance

Hello all.

Just wanted to ask what stance/foot positions people use to hit their serves, and what benefits they feel it gives them?

I ask because I've been hitting them since I started about a year ago with a very basic "shoulder width" sort of stance, and got my serve relatively consistent but without much power behind it. For me, it seems quite hard from this position to really use my legs, and the coach at my club has commented that my top and bottom half seem a bit disconnected - is this something anyone else has found with a wider stance, or am I just doing it wrong?

More recently, I've been switching into more of a "pinpoint" stance. The idea is to enable me to better get my legs involved! It works to some extent, in that it's giving me a bit of freedom to really drive my legs and body up through the shot. But, I feel a bit less stable. I know some of that will improve with practice and some conditioning, but I wondered if this is something people have found is inherent to a pinpoint stance because of its smaller base?

Looking for general thoughts on different serving stances rather than specific instruction on my game, but obviously any input you guys have is always appreciated. :)

HughJars 09-23-2013 05:05 AM

I go for stability over anything else - feet shoulder width apart with both heels on the ground throughout the toss and into the trophy. Helps me feel balanced during the motion. I actually consciously think 'keep both feet planted'.

I still get plenty of power by focusing on tossing slightly in the court and having my momentum go forward.

Probably not 'right' but meh, it works

MurrayMyInspiration 09-23-2013 05:27 AM

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showt...tform+pinpoint

Topspin Shot 09-23-2013 09:44 AM

I use a platform stance because pinpoint completely throws off my timing and balance. I have no idea why, but I just can't hit a decent serve from a pinpoint stance. To each his own way, I guess.

rkelley 09-23-2013 11:27 AM

I use platform to maximize stability during the set-up and toss. I feel like my toss is better, my ability to adjust to my sometime errant toss is better, and I can hit spots better. It took a while to get used to it (I used to hit from pinpoint), but I feel like I have plenty of power to get the job done.

I understand why folks think they can get more leg drive from pinpoint, but there are plenty of pros who can hit 120-130 mph in platform. If I can hit that speed it would certainly get the job done. If pinpoint offers slightly more power, I really don't need it. I'd rather have the stability.

mikeler 09-23-2013 12:04 PM

Pinpoint offers a little bit higher hit point which is good for the shorter folks who play.

LeeD 09-23-2013 12:41 PM

75% of WTA uses pinpoint.
About 60% of ATP uses pinpoint.
Use what you want, both work for hard serves, accurate serves, and repeatible serves.
Pinpoint can set you momentum moving forwards, while platform is more stable.
With the plusses, come the minu's.

MarTennis 09-24-2013 12:29 PM

Those pinpoint servers look cool even though they hit the tape all of the time! If you are paid to play, pinpoint away. Otherwise stay platform.

SystemicAnomaly 09-24-2013 10:26 PM

There are a couple of other options. Roddick and Monfils (who apparently copied Roddick) employ a stance that is narrower than the standard platform. Some have called it a narrow platform while others call it a wide pinpoint.

The Serve Doctor's simplified spring-loaded serve is yet another option. It is a unique variation of the pinpoint stance. Many have found this variation to be very useful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixx-MCC7D88

suryanaga 09-25-2013 09:00 AM

I primarily use a pinpoint stance to allow my right shoulder to drop and my back to coil. I find it also easier to drop my butt into the court using a pin point position. However, it takes longer to get to a trophy position with the step and therefore I have to toss higher or delay my toss.

LeeD 09-25-2013 12:42 PM

Tanner used pinpoint and had a super slow toss.

Bergboy123 09-25-2013 03:40 PM

I'm like the opposite of most -- I can't balance when I use the platform! I didn't even understand the difference, and I didn't know I did pinpoint until someone pointed it out to me

SystemicAnomaly 09-25-2013 03:47 PM

^ That is unusual. Are your heels off the ground when you bend your knees with the platform stance. Note: they should be.

Bergboy123 09-25-2013 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SystemicAnomaly (Post 7780184)
^ That is unusual. Are your heels off the ground when you bend your knees with the platform stance. Note: they should be.

I think not, but honestly I'm not positive without going and trying. Maybe that's why

LeeD 09-26-2013 08:43 AM

You should NOT be balanced when using a pinpoint serve. You should be FALLING FORWARDS when the feet come together, then both feet spring into the air as the racket swing starts.