Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Biggest Improvement Possible (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=478157)

MurrayMyInspiration 09-24-2013 04:14 AM

Biggest Improvement Possible

What is the greatest improvement possible in tennis, that you have seen happen or know of.

What I mean is can a 20 year old 4.0 player decide to train hard and improve and win ATP points?

Has there ever been a 5.0 27 year old ex college player that decided to return to the sport and won a Futures Event?

These are just examples.
Anything like this you know of?

Only similar thing I know is that TonLars was a 5.5 out of college I think and he trained very hard for last like 5 years and is very close to an ATP point.

HughJars 09-24-2013 04:29 AM

[Cue Leed rant on ratings and past glories]

MurrayMyInspiration 09-24-2013 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HughJars (Post 7776983)

For sure! Do you think a 4.5 at 18 can make the top 700 ATP? Is that achievable in your eyes?

Baxter 09-24-2013 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HughJars (Post 7776983)

It's still early in California. Give him time.

HughJars 09-24-2013 05:32 AM

I'm sure there would be examples out there. A heck of a lot of practice, good coaching (including mental coaching) and a massive slab of talent and self-belief, and probably at least some transference of skills and physical attributes from other sports played growing up.

NLBwell 09-24-2013 10:17 AM

Ion Tiriac switched from hockey - where he played on the Rumanian Olympic Team to tennis at a later age.
However, if you are already 20 and only a 4.0, you will not win a futures tournament no matter how much you practice unless you are an Olympic-quality athlete.
There are many things that are far easier to learn as a child than as an adult. Tennis is one of them.

Avles 09-24-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MurrayMyInspiration (Post 7776986)
For sure! Do you think a 4.5 at 18 can make the top 700 ATP? Is that achievable in your eyes?

Unless that 4.5 is some sort of prodigy who started playing tennis at 16 and immediately advanced to 4.5, I'd say no way. Pretty sure that the top 700 were all at least 5.5ish at age 18.

MurrayMyInspiration 09-24-2013 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NLBwell (Post 7777638)
Ion Tiriac switched from hockey - where he played on the Rumanian Olympic Team to tennis at a later age.
However, if you are already 20 and only a 4.0, you will not win a futures tournament no matter how much you practice unless you are an Olympic-quality athlete.
There are many things that are far easier to learn as a child than as an adult. Tennis is one of them.

What about winning matches at a Futures Main Draw? Is that possible?

LuckyR 09-24-2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MurrayMyInspiration (Post 7777675)
What about winning matches at a Futures Main Draw? Is that possible?

Similar (or slightly less likely) in possibility to joining the Space Program.

MurrayMyInspiration 09-24-2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyR (Post 7777711)
Similar (or slightly less likely) in possibility to joining the Space Program.

Ok this one then. A 20 year old 5.0 to win matches at Futures Events? I.e get at least 10 ATP points?

LuckyR 09-24-2013 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MurrayMyInspiration (Post 7777714)
Ok this one then. A 20 year old 5.0 to win matches at Futures Events? I.e get at least 10 ATP points?

Well, in a few keystrokes I can find the few (, the proud) people who have succeeded in joining the Space Program, how many inhabitants in the Modern history of this planet have accomplished what you are describing?

MurrayMyInspiration 09-24-2013 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyR (Post 7777719)
Well, in a few keystrokes I can find the few (, the proud) people who have succeeded in joining the Space Program, how many inhabitants in the Modern history of this planet have accomplished what you are describing?

Ton Lars is within touching distance of pretty much this!

LuckyR 09-24-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MurrayMyInspiration (Post 7777723)
Ton Lars is within touching distance of pretty much this!

I don't deny that it is technically possible and maybe has actually happened before. But the numbers are going to be small, very small. Hence why I chose to speak of it in a similarly "very small numbers" sort of way.

To put it another way, we all agree, practicing an activity is the key to excellence. If you are at a level of intermediate expertise (on your way to mastery) at an age well above the vast majority of your competitors, you need to make up for that. Most 20 year olds are starting to think about having a life, career, maybe a family etc. Are you prepared to put in the hours that someone of your current skill level is acheiving at the age of 14 or15 can? Especially a 15 year old who is at an academy where school is done after practice, drills and lessons are over?

I don't know.

RetroSpin 09-24-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MurrayMyInspiration (Post 7776986)

I wonder what John Isner was at 18? Certainly not regarded as a future pro prospect.

LeeD 09-24-2013 12:17 PM

Everyone is different.
If you haven't trashed your body by 20, you should be good till 32.
If you trashed your body by 20, you might have already peaked.
If your mind starts to wander towards marriage and accumulation of a black Beemer and white Mercedes, your window is closing fast.
Some people mature early. I"m sure you have seen examples of football lineman who look aged by the 10th year reunion.
And some guys, around age 35, still get carded every trip to a bar.

Ballinbob 09-24-2013 12:26 PM

I'm a 20 year old 4.5 and my goal is to be a competitive open level player when I'm 30 (5.5 ish player) and I thought that was pushing it.

Ballinbob 09-24-2013 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RetroSpin (Post 7777761)
I wonder what John Isner was at 18? Certainly not regarded as a future pro prospect.

Good question. I still imagine he was around a 5.5 at 18 though.

Avles 09-24-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RetroSpin (Post 7777761)

Here's what Isner's collegetennis profile says about his pre-college career:

Before Georgia -2003 Junior National Championships Doubles winner and Singles quarterfinalist -2002 National Clay Court Doubles Finalist and Junior National Doubles Finalist

Maybe didn't look like a top 20 player, but hardly a nobody. I'm guessing that would make him at worst a strong 5.5 at age 18.

LeeD 09-24-2013 12:33 PM

BBob....
You have the size, quickness, and physical skills.
BUT, are you waiting too long to achieve your goal?
With your strokes, you should make A/Open within 2 years, IF you play 5 days a week, 3 hours a day, against your peers or better players.
WORK on approach shots, low volleys, and court positioning. You already have adaquate strokes.

Ballinbob 09-24-2013 08:50 PM

Thanks Lee. Low volleys are starting to get better as I'm practicing them every day now along with my slice approach.

As for the OP: How athletic are you? That really does play a big part in how fast you will improve as someone has already said. A top varsity basketball player in high school I knew was able to make the #3 singles spot after only two years of heavy playing. Guy was a big time athlete and competitor and was able to catch onto the game quick. He could also push me in a 100m race even though I was one of the faster track kids in school. He didn't even have proper running form he was just a freak of nature athlete