Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Lots of talent, little game (matchplay) (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=478820)

BagelMe 10-01-2013 08:22 AM

Lots of talent, little game (matchplay)
 
Hey, how's it going everyone. I need all your help, seriously, in developing an effective game.

I've been told by many that I am very "talented" and have all the shots in the book by many. I have big serves, great groundstrokes, consistency and good footwork. Yet I manage to crash and burn in many of my matches because my mental game is quite crappy. I'm condescending, a quitter/tanker, etc. Really just a terrible person on the court.

I desperately want to make a change for the better, so maybe a little tips here and there will be well appreciated. Don't be afraid to get personal or make assumptions. I'm open to criticism. :)

Thanks!

r2473 10-01-2013 08:27 AM

How long have you been playing?

What do you rate yourself?

BagelMe 10-01-2013 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r2473 (Post 7791136)
How long have you been playing?

What do you rate yourself?

I've been playing religiously for 6+ years. This year is important because I'm joining the university tennis team...trying to at least.

No clue what I would rate myself. But I'm much better than those that claim to be 4.0....

Gambit61 10-01-2013 08:33 AM

I'm guessing that you start to choke in games. I do that too. Try to think of games as just practice and they have no meaning. Play your own game as in focus on being consistent, 2 down the line 2 cross court and so on. If you make mistakes, let it go.

tennisenthusiast 10-01-2013 08:33 AM

video please?

psv255 10-01-2013 08:41 AM

I'm in a similar boat, playing low/mid d3 tennis. Just to give some perspective, I have ok serves (95-105 flat/slice, generally can place), pretty good racquet head speed on groundies, but have low shot tolerance and have only started developing somewhat good volleys. Been playing for 5 years or so, would probably be upper 3.5/lowest of 4.0.

What I would suggest is to find a set of simple, achievable goals that you stick to for an extended period of match time, for example 3 games. Could be something like "deep to backhand" or even "2 feet over the net," but it has to be concrete and achievable. This is difficult if new to match play, since it's easy to lose focus and abandon rational decisions after a long point, especially one you lost. When playing extremely consistent players, I sometimes start trying to go for baseline winners or serve and volley on second serves for the first time in my life, etc. If you have it, suppress that urge.

Gimmick 10-01-2013 08:50 AM

Find someone who beats you with consistency, patience, and location using junk or pushing shots and then play them until you can beat them.

Topspin Shot 10-01-2013 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BagelMe (Post 7791141)
No clue what I would rate myself. But I'm much better than those that claim to be 4.0....

Yeah, basically, it's that attitude in general that gets you into trouble.

psv255 10-01-2013 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspin Shot (Post 7791201)
Yeah, basically, it's that attitude in general that gets you into trouble.

GOATpost of the week by tennis_balla:
Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis_balla (Post 7789236)
Show up at an Open tournament and start asking people their NTRP rating and you'll have 31 other guys praying they have you as their first round match.


tennisenthusiast 10-01-2013 08:59 AM

video or you are not talented :)

TimeSpiral 10-01-2013 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BagelMe (Post 7791120)
Hey, how's it going everyone. I need all your help, seriously, in developing an effective game.

I've been told by many that I am very "talented" and have all the shots in the book by many. I have big serves, great groundstrokes, consistency and good footwork. Yet I manage to crash and burn in many of my matches because my mental game is quite crappy. I'm condescending, a quitter/tanker, etc. Really just a terrible person on the court.

I desperately want to make a change for the better, so maybe a little tips here and there will be well appreciated. Don't be afraid to get personal or make assumptions. I'm open to criticism. :)

Thanks!

Assuming this is a serious OP, here are some suggestions:
  1. Losing is part of competing. Be prepared to lose.
  2. You are probably good, but the other guy could be better. If so, so be it.
  3. Change your inner dialogue from negative to positive. For instance:
    1. How could I miss such an easy shot? Stupid. So stupid. CHANGES TO: That should have been an easy shot. Stay focused; play the ball.
    2. Whelp, I just can't hit a backhand. My backhand sucks balls. CHANGES TO: You should have sliced that ball, not went for the TS DTL. Next time, slice the ball. Get it back in play.
    3. You get the idea. Reword every inner dialogue that is negative to a small and simple bite-sized goal.
  4. Do not assume you're better than your opponent. Let the score after the match decide who was the better player.
  5. There are no points for pretty strokes. Only points are points in competition.
  6. Tennis is like Chinese food. It's already chopped up into bite size pieces for you. Grab the chop sticks and eat it one piece at a time, don't try and stuff the whole damn eggroll in your mouth.
    1. What I mean by this is: if you're on the verge of a meltdown, or on the other side of the meltdown, scale back your goals. Instead of "win this game," change it to, "play your BH's cross court." Instead of, "I have to hold this service game, or it's over," change your goal to, "If he gives me an inside FH, play his backhand."
    2. Each time you successfully accomplish a goal, your confidence gains a point. The smaller the goals, the faster your confidence increases.
Good luck!

LeeD 10-01-2013 09:20 AM

Just need more point playing experience. Hitting alone does no good for playing tennis in a competitive enviorment. You need to play sets and matches, and KEEP SCORE.
You also have to learn to lose, before you can learn to win.

tennis_ocd 10-01-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BagelMe (Post 7791141)
But I'm much better than those that claim to be 4.0....

And yet some really say you're condescending? :twisted:

First step is to acknowledge if you lose the other guy was better. As trivial as it sounds, I'm always amazed at how few believe this.

tennisgotomarket 10-01-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BagelMe (Post 7791120)
Hey, how's it going everyone. I need all your help, seriously, in developing an effective game.

I've been told by many that I am very "talented" and have all the shots in the book by many. I have big serves, great groundstrokes, consistency and good footwork. Yet I manage to crash and burn in many of my matches because my mental game is quite crappy. I'm condescending, a quitter/tanker, etc. Really just a terrible person on the court.

I desperately want to make a change for the better, so maybe a little tips here and there will be well appreciated. Don't be afraid to get personal or make assumptions. I'm open to criticism. :)

Thanks!

http://cdn.tennis.com/uploads/wysiwy...29/article.JPG

r2473 10-01-2013 12:01 PM

Imagine you are playing a match tonight against a opponent you've never played before. You know nothing about them. How do you approach the match?

Also, apart from mental, what is the major weakness in your game?

TennisCJC 10-01-2013 12:19 PM

Tanking, throwing temper tantrums, and generally make an A-hole of yourself are defense mechanism. You don't want to lose so you pee-pee all over yourself publicly rather than lose with touch of dignity. My advice is to grow the F up. Your tennis match is not all that important. Someone's first child is important. A family member or close friend getting cancer is important. Your tennis match, even your university tennis match is not important.

If you cannot figure out a way to play with some degree of maturity, just stop playing so you don't ruin it for the rest of us.

Topspin Shot 10-01-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TennisCJC (Post 7791637)
Tanking, throwing temper tantrums, and generally make an A-hole of yourself are defense mechanism. You don't want to lose so you pee-pee all over yourself publicly rather than lose with touch of dignity. My advice is to grow the F up. Your tennis match is not all that important. Someone's first child is important. A family member or close friend getting cancer is important. Your tennis match, even your university tennis match is not important.

If you cannot figure out a way to play with some degree of maturity, just stop playing so you don't ruin it for the rest of us.

This is what I wanted to say, but I value not getting banned too much to risk it. :)

chrisberchris 10-01-2013 01:43 PM

Just make a conscious effort to be nice and gracious on court. Bestowing grace alleviates a whole host of attitude issues

MurrayMyInspiration 10-01-2013 02:12 PM

What NTRP Rating are you? I have buckets of talent also and amazing hands and Im a pusher :)

pushing_wins 10-01-2013 03:01 PM

When asked what was the most difficult thing, Thales replied, To know thyself.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse