Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   How do you return kick or American servces? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=478833)

tennisgotomarket 10-01-2013 10:23 AM

How do you return kick or American servces?

I am thinking it's important to keep shuffling your feet until you make contact with the ball. I keep planting my foot and get caught with the ball spinning from right to left if the server is right handed.

What do you think? any tips?

Say Chi Sin Lo 10-01-2013 10:26 AM

Make up your mind:

- Step in and take it early, don't let it kick and get away from you.

- Step back, anticipate the kick and chase it. But try to crack it because you've already lost court position.

LeeD 10-01-2013 10:27 AM

With practice, you will find a need for an aligned stance, neutral to closed, so you body can move forwards thru the shot. Adjustment sideways is about experience with that particular kick out to the side, bent arm technique, and watching the ball.
If the ball bounces well over your head, consider moving forwards, or switching to a pure volley motion to return the serve. Volley hard and down!
You an stand well back, but that allows the action of the twist to take you out of court position, so you would need to hit a return like Rafa to stay in the point.

RetroSpin 10-01-2013 10:46 AM

These serves are intimidating when you first encounter them, but they get easier to handle with experience. The best way to learn is to get a pro to serve them to you over and over.

Unless you are playing Open events or Div I or are vertically challenged, you are unlikely to encounter people who can kick it over your head.

Ballinbob 10-01-2013 11:04 AM

For an average speed twist serve I actually just stand back and let it drop. As someone said you should be taking a good crack at the ball if you do this because your court position won't be the best.

However, for bigger twist serves, I feel you have to take it early. I basically just use volley- like technique like Lee mentioned with a very short backswing. I find it hard to consistently hit an aggressive return off that serve, I'll often miss-time the ball

A lot depends on your return style though . Not everybody likes slicing/chipping their returns

tennisgotomarket 10-01-2013 11:46 AM

Thanks, I did try to take it on the rise and got hit in the face...do you think using a shorter/lighter racket helps?

mikeler 10-01-2013 12:00 PM

Since few people serve and volley these days, I tend to moonball these back to start the point at neutral.

Dimcorner 10-01-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisgotomarket (Post 7791581)
Thanks, I did try to take it on the rise and got hit in the face...do you think using a shorter/lighter racket helps?

Maybe, but better would be not to lead with face ;)
Experience would be the best solution I think. You need to see the serve more often so you know how to adjust to them.

Topspin Shot 10-01-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Don't get all cut up about it. :twisted: Seriously, I don't think the racket will make much difference. I recommend that you take the ball on the drop for now, until you get more used to the spin. The worst thing that can happen is that you find yourself a few feet behind the baseline, which is better than missing the return. I don't think any kick serve you'll see is going to penetrate the court to where you have to take it on the rise if you don't want to run into the back fence, so staying back and letting the ball spin out before you hit it is your best bet.

Say Chi Sin Lo 10-01-2013 01:29 PM

Quote:

I'm pretty sure if you got hit in the face by one, it's not the (size) racquet's fault. Footwork my friend, it's all about footwork.

RetroSpin 10-01-2013 02:25 PM

This is one shot where the two handed BH is clearly superior.

MurrayMyInspiration 10-01-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ballinbob (Post 7791493)
For an average speed twist serve I actually just stand back and let it drop. As someone said you should be taking a good crack at the ball if you do this because your court position won't be the best.

However, for bigger twist serves, I feel you have to take it early. I basically just use volley- like technique like Lee mentioned with a very short backswing. I find it hard to consistently hit an aggressive return off that serve, I'll often miss-time the ball

A lot depends on your return style though . Not everybody likes slicing/chipping their returns

Dont do that.

I believe you should play tennis as you mean to continue (IN PRACTICE) and play shots that give you the maximum return in tennis improvement and ability.

If you get a short ball in practice that you think you should slice a forehand on and come in as it is a good shot for you dont. Hit a topspin or flat forehand and approach as this is practicing the most favourable shot in this situation.

In a match tiebreak ok you can do whatever slice or chip but in (PRACTICE) always play the game that in the best way you can or the most perfect way you can. If you are chipping second serve returns at 4.5 level you deserve to stay there and never better yourself as a player. Hit the return with a groundstroke bh or fh, you can chip when you are getting owned by 6.0 players serves someday.

Chipping returns is weak. Why not improve your groundstroke return at every opportunity you can, chipping returns is not as effective a shot.

If I had a tennis racquet in my house would it be wise to play with a squash racquet?

ProgressoR 10-01-2013 02:37 PM

Pro's never chip returns?

Say Chi Sin Lo 10-01-2013 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RetroSpin (Post 7791833)

Which is largely negated if the 1hander had the movement to combat it? :confused:

MurrayMyInspiration 10-01-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RetroSpin (Post 7791833)

This and which is more important in modern tennis? A two handed backhand return of serve. It occurs a large majority of time on first serves and over 80% of the time on second serves.

How often does a one handers ability to hit potentially more topspin come in handy?

Or there ability to hit sharper angles thanks to that spin?

1 Hander is the Nokia.

Iphone is the 2hander.

MurrayMyInspiration 10-01-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo (Post 7791863)
Which is largely negated if the 1hander had the movement to combat it? :confused:

What? Movement involved with returning a big second serve to the backhand side? You have to be kidding me, serve return time is like less a second!

Say Chi Sin Lo 10-01-2013 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MurrayMyInspiration (Post 7791869)
What? Movement involved with returning a big second serve to the backhand side? You have to be kidding me, serve return time is like less a second!

O..k...? Then tell me why John Isner doesn't have an overwhelming favorable records against 1handers then?

The only winning record he has (that I can think of) is 2-1 over Wawrinka, everyone else is either even or has a losing record.

It's called anticipation, toss reading, and reacting now that you have significant information of what is to come.

MurrayMyInspiration 10-01-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProgressoR (Post 7791855)
Pro's never chip returns?

Of course they do but it is weak.
It is like playing the long ball game in football because you do not have the ability for passing and moving.

What do you do when you are outclassed generally in a big match? Play long ball, tackle hard, hope to get lucky.

What do you do on the practice ground? Play football, pass move and practice scoring and moving the ball.

Slicing back returns is an inferior and weak play to hitting topspin groundies as a return.

Say Chi Sin Lo 10-01-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MurrayMyInspiration (Post 7791869)

Chip/slice: This is one shot where the one handed BH is clearly superior. Just saying, it's fun to make these blatantly wrong statement once in a while. I can see why people do it so often here.

Say Chi Sin Lo 10-01-2013 02:51 PM

And it's a matter of predictability really. Almost EVERYONE that I've played serve to my backhand after realizing I have a 1hander during warmups.

I'm chilling nearby the alleys already and they still kick it there. You do it enough, then I'll just step in and take the kick away. It's when I'm not expecting it and the ball gets away from me, that's when you have trouble regardless of 1hand/2handed backhand.