Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Until you play to 4.5 level you cannot understand the sport of tennis fully (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=478861)

MurrayMyInspiration 10-01-2013 04:49 PM

Until you play to 4.5 level you cannot understand the sport of tennis fully

Tennis below 4.5 is a completely different sport to tennis above 4.5. I would personally go so far as to say that 3.5 or less is not even proper tennis and 4.0 is even difficult to justify as real tennis.

Players below 4.5 just dont have the same understanding of the sport and the game. They dont know what high backhands with kick really are, or what heavy topspin really is. Attacking the net is like walsing in after a shot, these are the types of people that think approach shots at 3.5 level can be used at 5.5 level.

These are the people with an "all court" game that get beaten by a pusher who hits lob slices, these are the people who chip back a lob return and approach the net.

This is not tennis, like softball or real baseball. Tennis is not tennis until you reach at least a 4.5 level.

tennisenthusiast 10-01-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MurrayMyInspiration (Post 7791978)
Tennis below 4.5 is a completely different sport to tennis above 4.5. I would personally go so far as to say that 3.5 or less is not even proper tennis and 4.0 is even difficult to justify as real tennis.

Players below 4.5 just dont have the same understanding of the sport and the game. They dont know what high backhands with kick really are, or what heavy topspin really is. Attacking the net is like walsing in after a shot, these are the types of people that think approach shots at 3.5 level can be used at 5.5 level.

These are the people with an "all court" game that get beaten by a pusher who hits lob slices, these are the people who chip back a lob return and approach the net.

This is not tennis, like softball or real baseball. Tennis is not tennis until you reach at least a 4.5 level.

Question for you: Do you belong in the >= 4.5 level or < 4.5 level? My comment will follow your answer.

MurrayMyInspiration 10-01-2013 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisenthusiast (Post 7792000)
Question for you: Do you belong in the >= 4.5 level or < 4.5 level? My comment will follow your answer.

EDIT It appears I made a mistake my level is greater than 4.5 not less, thank god!

Topspin Shot 10-01-2013 05:20 PM

First off, how can you say this if you're less than a 4.5? Secondly, I'm going to say that on this one, you have no idea what you're talking about. The 4.5 level is a completely arbitrary distinction, and by your logic, I could say the same about any level. Do you really think a 4.5 knows what heavy spin or pace are? A 4.5+ club player's heavy spin and pace are a world apart from a collegiate or open player's heavy spin and pace, which are a world apart from a professional's heavy spin and pace.

MurrayMyInspiration 10-01-2013 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisenthusiast (Post 7792000)

ur comment

psv255 10-01-2013 05:26 PM

Until you get to 7.0+ you know nothing about tennis.

ProgressoR 10-01-2013 05:26 PM

a very good player would say the same about your game.

Shangri La 10-01-2013 05:27 PM

Replace 4.5 with 5.5 and read the original post again.

RF20Lennon 10-01-2013 05:34 PM

Until you are Pro has won at least 1 Grand Slam you know nothing about tennis :cool:

Shangri La 10-01-2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RF20Lennon (Post 7792028)
Until you are Pro has won at least 1 Grand Slam you know nothing about tennis :cool:

You mean S-E-V-E-N-T-E-E-N.

:)

gmatheis 10-01-2013 05:42 PM

This is a fairly ridiculous post.

Of course there are many levels of tennis.

Even at 4.5 the average D1 player is at a totally different level.

and low level pros mixing it up in futures/challengers is yet another level past D1.

Then you have Pro's who actually make a living playing the game.

From there you have pro's that are often in contention for masters 250 titles

Then there are the pro's that might get lucky and win a 500 and on rare occasion a 1000

Then there are pros that are often in contention for 1000 titles

and finally you have Djoker,Nadal, and Murray ... the group who you can almost be sure will win every major title.

It's all tennis.

personally I'm a 3.5 and my strokes look more like what you might call "real tennis" than some 4.5's I know.

RF20Lennon 10-01-2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shangri La (Post 7792032)
You mean S-E-V-E-N-T-E-E-N.

:)

Only one person on the entire planet knows tennis :twisted:

Shroud 10-01-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MurrayMyInspiration (Post 7791978)

Boy are my ears burning on this one!

It really was a great lob approach :)

Man we need a new category of player: Passive aggressive grinder...

moonballs 10-01-2013 06:01 PM

At first I thought the OP had a point. Maybe tennis is only the real tennis when a pusher can't beat anyone easily like it happens at 3.5 and below. But then I realized Andy Murray is a multiple slams holder.

Topspin Shot 10-01-2013 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moonballs (Post 7792084)
At first I thought the OP had a point. Maybe tennis is only the real tennis when a pusher can't beat anyone easily like it happens at 3.5 and below. But then I realized Andy Murray is a multiple slams holder.

I can beat a 4.5 purely by pushing. Andy Murray can double bagel me purely by pushing. This entire thread is ridiculous.

Cheetah 10-01-2013 06:26 PM

Dumb thread. Minus cred points to OP.

DavaiMarat 10-01-2013 06:32 PM

Wow you guys didn't see the sign, don't feed the trolls?

KineticChain 10-01-2013 06:56 PM

I think what OP is getting at is most of us live in a tennis skill bubble. Some of us may be the king of their local club or public park and think we are hot stuff. These people have yet to be humbled by someone who trains to be more than a rec player.

Around the 4.5 mark... most players have pretty developed technique and have probably hit with high caliber players before and know what it feels like to get run ragged across the court.. basically becoming a puppet for the high level player. Most 4.0 and below would not be able to return many shots from a D1 or higher player.. whereas a 4.5 would be able to sustain a rally but would be out of his comfort zone on most shots. The OP post was kinda blatant.. but there is some truth to it in regard to people who are below a certain level have some cockiness in them because they've never experienced a high caliber player on the other side of the net, this is a run-on sentence.

TimeSpiral 10-01-2013 07:30 PM

I'm convinced that the OP has gone full troll. Sad ... I was wrong about this one.

LeeD 10-01-2013 07:37 PM

Actually, I see where MMI is coming from.
To really experience and understand stuff like forehead and higher bouncing second serves, first serves that just whizz by, overheads put away if the player is standing in short NML, almost NO double faults in a match, constant pounding to your weaker side, the fitness really needed to go toe to toe with someone who can hit just as hard and run as fast as you.......
MMI's kinda blunt, of course. And kind of pig headed about some things, but overall, in this post, he does have a point, whether we like it or not.