Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Changing a "slow starter" (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=479190)

rh310 10-05-2013 10:34 AM

Changing a "slow starter"

It seems to take me a while to get going in a match, and specifically when I play a Sat morning match after no tennis during the week. I do daily shadow swings and general exercise, just no tennis.

I've started doing 5-10 mins of calisthenics before heading to the courts, and that's helping some. But the fundamental thing seems to be that it just takes me a while to get going. Part of the problem is wanting to avoid hurting myself (~60), but it's mostly that it just seems to take me a while to get going.

Would be interested in any ideas around getting into the match faster.

Bagumbawalla 10-05-2013 02:01 PM

Are you just not interested in practicing during the week?

Do you not have access to a practice wall?

Is it impossible for you to arrive early to the courts and practice serves, hit the wall, jump some rope, or just drop the ball and practice some strokes?

Do you have access to youtube, where you can see videos on how to do these things?

Are you interested in improving your game or just staying the same (but warming up sooner)?

rh310 10-05-2013 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bagumbawalla (Post 7800315)
Are you just not interested in practicing during the week?

Oh, I'd love to practice during the week. I'm up at 5a and don't get home to 7p - 8p every day. If I play then, I can't sleep until 1a and the next day is in the toilet.

Quote:

Is it impossible for you to arrive early to the courts and practice serves, hit the wall, jump some rope, or just drop the ball and practice some strokes?
Matches are at 8a Saturday.

I've started doing calisthenics before heading out to the court. It's helping a little. Maybe I'll just do more of that.

Quote:

Do you have access to youtube, where you can see videos on how to do these things?
I should have mentioned I play 4.0, and am not a beginner.

Quote:

Are you interested in improving your game or just staying the same (but warming up sooner)?
Fanatical improvement seeker. Weekends have 6-8 hrs of tennis in them, including group drill sessions for 4.0 - 4.5 and at least 1 hr of one-on-one with a very experienced coach.

Bagumbawalla 10-05-2013 11:13 PM

Well, I, also, participate in a Saturday thing that starts at 8:00 am, and I am, also, in my 60s and also like to warm up before the competition begins.

I solve the problem by showing up early (around 7:00 am) and if there is nobody to hit with (rarely), I will practice with the wall and then loosen up my serve, then practice with the first to arrive until the games begin.

I see that you are from NY where it may be more difficult to schedule court time than here (CA). So, if you don't have a wall or early access to the courts, and no one to warm up with (ball machine?)- then you may be doing all that you can with your work-out at home.