Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Arm Sleeve (basketball kind) for Golfers/Tennis Elbow? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=479535)

brianb76 10-08-2013 05:26 PM

Arm Sleeve (basketball kind) for Golfers/Tennis Elbow?

Anyone every tried? Did it adveresly effect your shots?

Im still getting over my golfers elbow and with it getting cold was thinking of trying one...

Say Chi Sin Lo 10-08-2013 05:30 PM

I thought the primary reason why NBA players wear them is because the league want them to cover up inappropriate tattoos for national broadcasts?

Shroud 10-08-2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianb76 (Post 7807302)
Anyone every tried? Did it adveresly effect your shots?

Im still getting over my golfers elbow and with it getting cold was thinking of trying one...

I love the skins sold here at TW:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Skin...INS-KMECS.html

I wouldnt buy them thinking they will add support to your elbow. They do but it is minimal. Definitely does the circulation thing and for a while with TE I was wearing them 24/7. I think they helped.

They probably dont recommend this but some nights it was hard to sleep so I would put on some tigerbalm and then the sleeve.

Even now I will put on some peppermint oil which is just menthol and put the sleeve on and go play. It is great because as you sweat the peppermint gets absorbed more and really feels great. Not recommending this because I think the sleeves say not to do stuff like that, but its ok for me.

Micalzon 10-09-2013 05:02 AM

I've tried it. Didn't think it helped out much at all. Not enough compression to support the elbow.

ollinger 10-09-2013 05:21 AM

Shroud
1) anything tight enough to lend "support" will likely prevent circulation to an area. This is called a "tourniquet."
2) you feel your elbow needs "support" while you sleep??
3) as oil and water are not soluble together, it seems pretty unlikely that sweat coming out of your arm would somehow promote absorption of an oil.

maggmaster 10-10-2013 10:14 AM

The opening of the pores allows for more absorption doesn't it? Not that I know of any real medicinal benefit of peppermint oil.

Shroud 10-14-2013 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ollinger (Post 7808153)
Shroud
1) anything tight enough to lend "support" will likely prevent circulation to an area. This is called a "tourniquet."
2) you feel your elbow needs "support" while you sleep??
3) as oil and water are not soluble together, it seems pretty unlikely that sweat coming out of your arm would somehow promote absorption of an oil.

See maggmaster's post. When you sweat the pores open and the peppermint is better absorbed. Try it.

I was pretty clear I thought that the sleeve didnt lend to support, but did give improved blood flow.

While I sleep it stays warm and the blood is flowing more and healing more.
Quote:

Originally Posted by maggmaster (Post 7811478)
The opening of the pores allows for more absorption doesn't it? Not that I know of any real medicinal benefit of peppermint oil.

Yep. It is interesting how you put it on and it gets cold but later when you sweat it gets even colder.

Its essentially menthol. The benefit is that it helps with the pain and lets me play without pain and sleep through the night, which IMHO helps with healing.

If I put tiger balm on it which I do would that be OK????? My 2 cents is that the peppermint oil does the same thing just not as strong.

I think it helps with inflammation too, but dont care enough to look for medical literature to that effect.

maggmaster 10-15-2013 05:34 AM

Hey I use tiger balm too but I am not sure I am fixing anything, just making sore muscles feel better.

Ronaldo 10-15-2013 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo (Post 7807308)
I thought the primary reason why NBA players wear them is because the league want them to cover up inappropriate tattoos for national broadcasts?

May need a body sleeve, http://images.ftw.usatoday.com/wp-co...89860-copy.jpg

atatu 10-15-2013 12:52 PM

When I had TE, I always used one when playing in cool weather, it helped.

Shroud 10-15-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maggmaster (Post 7821867)
Hey I use tiger balm too but I am not sure I am fixing anything, just making sore muscles feel better.

Probably right, but here is a link I found and while I am no doctor it does seem to say there is some effect on inflammation.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9889172

Though another link said the cooling effect was inhibited by inflammation, so who knows.

In my case it helps me sleep through the night and that must on some level help things heal a bit better.

ALso the one version of tigerbalm contains clove oil which is claimed to help with inflammation.

Long story but my TE never never liked ICE...Ice made it worse for some reason and well the peppermint stuff and tigerbalm was better especially in the sleeve.

mattavery24 10-17-2013 09:08 AM

It would mostly be for show. Many baseball players wore them on my college team and the only positive that may occur would be the muscles to be warmer which would help the muscles be more flexible.

sadowsk2 10-21-2013 06:04 AM

I had a bad case of tendinosis (Tennis Elbow) for a period of roughly 18 months... I'm a big believer in the compression sleeve for the promotion of blood flow. I think any way you can get increased blood flow to blood-starved tendons is a good thing. However, if you have tennis elbow, you certainly don't wanna be playing period, but rather letting your elbow rest and heal. I've only gotten back into playing 2 days a week since labor day weekend... My regimine has been to use a quality counterforce brace while playing, icing afterwards, and then wearing the compression sleeve afterwards to bed and for several hours through the day. A comp sleeve will not do the job a counterforce brace does while playing tennis so if you're going to go ahead and play with tennis elbow (again, highly advise against doing this), wear the brace and ditch the sleeve.

brianb76 06-12-2014 08:05 AM

Update:

Ive been playing with the Tommie Copper elbow sleeve and wearing one after matches and it does seem to help quite a bit along with icing after.

Elbow is definilty not as stiff during or after play. Not sure if will work for everyone but worth a shot.

P.S. I also wear it when I lift.

moonballs 06-13-2014 05:16 AM

Is that skin sleeve what Raonic wears?

bsiegel 06-13-2014 08:31 AM

compression sleeve

I wore one this past winter and it kept my sore elbow warm. But it does add blood to the forearm which I found somewhat engorged it. So there were times I took it off because it bothered me. Seems like it works opposite of icing the joint.

So when I needed warmth from poor circulation/ cold conditions etc I used it. When the area was more inflammed and raw from abuse I iced. The brand I have are McDavid and they were like 12 $

brianb76 06-13-2014 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moonballs (Post 8463639)
Is that skin sleeve what Raonic wears?

Not sure, but compression sleeve seems to work for me.
I recommend anyone with elbow pain give it a try.