Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   What do you do when you're having a bad day on the courts? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=479602)

dknotty 10-09-2013 12:45 PM

What do you do when you're having a bad day on the courts?

Had a session today, tough conditions due to wind and I wasn't contacting the ball well at all. Got the feeling that the shots were over very quickly, not the most satisfying session at all.

How do you try and bring yourself back to good form on these days?

Roger Wawrinka 10-09-2013 12:50 PM

Shake it off and let it go, tomorrow's a new day.

At least that's what I do.

LeeD 10-09-2013 01:20 PM

1 part CocaCola, 2 parts Bacardi Rum.

Roger Wawrinka 10-09-2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7809101)

:):):):) hahahaha

Greg G 10-09-2013 01:53 PM

If it's practice, I go back to halfcourt hitting. Hitting session with wind, put extra effort on footwork and the small adjustment steps.

If that doesn't work, LeeD's sugestion is spot on :D

PhrygianDominant 10-09-2013 01:53 PM

I try to turn it around on court. I lose a lot, and usually pretty close games. I need to focus on the positive and be constructive or I would probably give up tennis.

easywin 10-09-2013 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg G (Post 7809158)
If it's practice, I go back to halfcourt hitting. Hitting session with wind, put extra effort on footwork and the small adjustment steps.

If that doesn't work, LeeD's sugestion is spot on :D

truth :)

If its in a game though, I like to go out of my usual way and try everything I usually fail with so that I dont blame it on my form of the day ...
If I come back to my playstyle it feels more natural and I got the feeling of playing better - I will propably still loose but feel better :lol:

Topspin Shot 10-09-2013 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7809101)

She's got a wicked sense of humor, can't believe what she says / She drinks Bacardi in the morning till it goes to her head / And all your clothes are on the floor and all your records are scratched / She's like a one way ticket and you can't come back....

Attila_the_gorilla 10-09-2013 04:30 PM

An array of 4 letter words. Not sure it helps but seems to come naturally.

SystemicAnomaly 10-09-2013 04:51 PM

I'll blink a lot and use a good quality artificial tears product (NO redness-reliever). This helps to keep my eyes from drying out in the wind and also helps to keep me alert. Will chew some cinnamon gum (sugarless). Also helps with alertness. Keep the feet moving and perform some air/shadow swing -- kinda like Bartoli (but not quite as manic). When performing your air swings, be sure that you are not moving your head/eyes during your forward swing -- it might be that your bad day is due to excessive head movement during your strokes.

Jumping rope on changeovers sometimes helps. During rallies, try the BOUNCE-HIT mantra.

Overdrive 10-09-2013 04:56 PM

Break every racquet in my bag.

5263 10-09-2013 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dknotty (Post 7809039)
Had a session today, tough conditions due to wind and I wasn't contacting the ball well at all. Got the feeling that the shots were over very quickly, not the most satisfying session at all.

How do you try and bring yourself back to good form on these days?

Honestly, I almost never have a bad day on the courts. I used to have a bad day at least once per week or so, but then learned a couple of good warmup habits that really did the trick.

In the warm up, I focus on 2 main things....position on the ball for a good contact point and keeping the head still/eye on the ball...

My swing is pretty solid, so most of the technique stuff is not usually a problem. Really seems that if I make that habit of getting a good look a the ball in warm up, then that really carries over to the match quite well. Any framing or mishits are a cue that my focus is slipping and to step it up.

This has worked like a dream for me for years.

Say Chi Sin Lo 10-09-2013 05:38 PM

Eat a big bowl of alfredo pasta with garlic and all kinds of cheeses.

The Meat 10-09-2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo (Post 7809528)
Eat a big bowl of alfredo pasta with garlic and all kinds of cheeses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmpwGOCzk84

LeeD 10-09-2013 05:50 PM

2 liters of HaagenDaz marble fudge ice cream, the whole tub, right after the coke and run.
YUMMMMMMM, life is good again.

Say Chi Sin Lo 10-09-2013 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Meat (Post 7809539)

Nonsense, you havent lived until you've had fried cheese on top of your cheese.

I'm Asian, God gifted us with an unlimited supply of metabolism to make up for the lack of height.

gatorbait 10-09-2013 06:57 PM

Go back to the basics and try to focus on your footwork. Try to keep your thoughts simple and think about key items you want to do vs items you don't want to do.

coolblue123 10-09-2013 07:13 PM

define bad day? were the balls landing out? balls hitting the net? then hit with more margin.

if the opponent is better than u that day and all the strategies in ur tool chest is not working out, learn from it for the next match.

The Meat 10-09-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo (Post 7809585)
Nonsense, you havent lived until you've had fried cheese on top of your cheese.

I'm Asian, God gifted us with an unlimited supply of metabolism to make up for the lack of height.

Cheeseception, I can never enjoy cheese because of my damn intolerance to lactose. :(

rdis10093 10-09-2013 08:36 PM

there is truth in Leeds' words, it is a drug like anything else and with the correct amount can produce positive effects on the body. even better would be red wine, but that will have way more calories.

one minute ice cold shower helps to. as it get the blood flowing and your body will be trying to heat itself back up for the next hour or so. releases feel good chemicals.