Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Classic Racquet Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Head Composite Master... ressurection! (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=479969)

Tamiya 10-13-2013 06:36 PM

Head Composite Master... ressurection!
 
k34's green Head thread http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=479034
inspired me to stripdown a white Composite Master whose grommets
had gone all hard & brittle to the point they just shattered to tiny pieces

should've checked with all ye Head experts here BEFORE doing anything
but then discovered the 'Master' is an odd 18x19 pattern in a midplus size
so no Prestige Mid Cap grommets would fit.

Nor would Prestige Mid Plus (18x20) nor Prestige Pro (16x19).

As last resort, dug up the racquet boneyard and pulled out some plastics:-



to keep it in the family... that's off a Head LM Rad :)



with a bit of snipping, it fitted!

Tamiya 10-13-2013 06:44 PM



throatpiece got borrowed off old Wilson,
fitted better than any Head item i had



sides had to go individual to sit them flat... ran vinyl tape over their tops



all good to go!

Frankc 10-13-2013 07:28 PM

great effort for a good cause
 
Spent much time myself trying to fashion grommets for a few graphite masters - the teal beauties.
With some reissued (I know, let me dream) grommets for the Head Master series, we'd have a fine midplus frame for modern play...
Looks great - let us know when you play test...

MAXXply 10-13-2013 07:50 PM

Behold, the HEAD Stormtrooper Ltd Edition MP:

"HEAD NV, makers of ski and tennis equipment, in collaboration with Lucasfilm LLC, subsidiary of The Walt Disney Co., today announce the release of the HEAD Stormtooper Ltd Edition MP tennis racket..."

joe sch 10-13-2013 08:31 PM

Replaceable racket protection head bumper-guard ... until you cant find the replacements ... nice job on your handy work !

http://www.woodtennis.com/head/head_comp_pro4.jpg

They are nice rackets, even the comp pros

http://www.woodtennis.com/head/head_comp_pro1.jpg

Tamiya 10-13-2013 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAXXply (Post 7819376)
Behold, the HEAD Stormtrooper Ltd Edition MP:

"HEAD NV, makers of ski and tennis equipment, in collaboration with Lucasfilm LLC, subsidiary of The Walt Disney Co., today announce the release of the HEAD Stormtooper Ltd Edition MP tennis racket..."

nah, Wilson already beat ya to it...



W's K Three, modern successor to the 1990 Profile Hammer only lighter & stiffer :D

Tamiya 10-13-2013 11:08 PM

Patient survived the night so stringjob is now safe to play.

Raining & hailing on a spring Monday :(



102.5 sq in doesn't sound like a lot but is still sizeable.



even against K Three's (supposedly) 115 and a horseface Graphite Dominator

Fearsome Forehand 10-13-2013 11:50 PM

I took on a similar project. It was a Head Master Tour of the same era. Late 1980's? 102/Midplus/18Mx19X. Same crappy white grommets that go brittle and crack even if unused.

The rackets have the same head size as the red Prestige Midplus, same pattern. Was able to find existing CAP grommets for it from another racket (Flexpoint series). Saved me from having to cobble together grommets.

Tamiya 10-14-2013 02:41 AM

Prestige FXP seems to be all 18x20 in mid, mid plus & XL?
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/revi...xppreview.html

It'll have same hole layout as the MP Radical set I had.

Was there an odd FXP in 18x19, thought the MG Prestige Pro (16x19)
only came later. (I had a set to try; too hard cutting thru cap)

Tamiya 10-14-2013 02:45 AM

Hmm there exists a Prestige Master of 102.5 & 18x19
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=274520

Fearsome Forehand 10-14-2013 06:44 AM

Think it was the FXP Team.

retrowagen 10-14-2013 11:28 AM

Nice work! You took a Head Decomp Master and turned it back into a Comp Master. :cool:

Don't Let It Bounce 10-14-2013 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tamiya (Post 7819792)
Prestige FXP seems to be all 18x20 in mid, mid plus & XL?
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/revi...xppreview.html

It'll have same hole layout as the MP Radical set I had.

Was there an odd FXP in 18x19...?

There was a FXP Prestige Team that was 102 sq " and 18x19. I used its CAP grommets for a couple of Satellite Tours.

But I have a vague memory, which at the moment I can't confirm, that the earlier Head 660s (I'm thinking specifically of the TXM, which I think was released after Comp Master) had a slightly thinner beam than the later ones (Prestige Tour/Classic MP, Satellite Tour, FXP Prestige Team), so the FXP CAP grommets may not help the OP. Posters better versed in Head lore may need to straighten out that memory, though.

vsbabolat 10-14-2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don't Let It Bounce (Post 7821292)
There was a FXP Prestige Team that was 102 sq " and 18x19. I used its CAP grommets for a couple of Satellite Tours.

But I have a vague memory, which at the moment I can't confirm, that the earlier Head 660s (I'm thinking specifically of the TXM, which I think was released after Comp Master) had a slightly thinner beam than the later ones (Prestige Tour/Classic MP, Satellite Tour, FXP Prestige Team), so the FXP CAP grommets may not help the OP. Posters better versed in Head lore may need to straighten out that memory, though.

Yep, Comp Master, Graphite Master, and TXM/Prestige Master are all 19mm. The later ones from the Prestige Tour/Classic MP, Satellite Tour, FXP Prestige Team 660 are a wider beam.

retrowagen 10-14-2013 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vsbabolat (Post 7821416)
Yep, Comp Master, Graphite Master, and TXM/Prestige Master are all 19mm. The later ones from the Prestige Tour/Classic MP, Satellite Tour, FXP Prestige Team 660 are a wider beam.

Trisys 270 too.

Tamiya 10-15-2013 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don't Let It Bounce (Post 7821292)
There was a FXP Prestige Team that was 102 sq " and 18x19. I used its CAP grommets for a couple of Satellite Tours.

But I have a vague memory, which at the moment I can't confirm, that the earlier Head 660s (I'm thinking specifically of the TXM, which I think was released after Comp Master) had a slightly thinner beam than the later ones (Prestige Tour/Classic MP, Satellite Tour, FXP Prestige Team), so the FXP CAP grommets may not help the OP. Posters better versed in Head lore may need to straighten out that memory, though.

meh, Liquidmetal Rad is a widebody compared to those - doesn't clamp down.
Will keep peepers open at LPS see if they have any FXP Prestige Team parts
that I can snag, should another oldie come my way.

thank ye all gentlemen

Tamiya 10-15-2013 01:00 AM

btw just confirmed...

FXP Instinct is 18x19 & 100 (645)

FXP Radical OS is 18x19 but 107 (690)

Thepowerofchoice 10-15-2013 03:24 PM

I tried FXP Prestige Team full cap grommets on Head Comp Master a while back and it didn't fit.

Frankc 10-20-2013 07:39 AM

Yes, I tried also - no go...


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse