Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Thicker strings more spin....higher tension more spin? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=480079)

The Dark Knight 10-14-2013 08:48 PM

Thicker strings more spin....higher tension more spin?

The conventional wisdom is that thinner strings and lower tensions give you more spin.

A Tennis magazine article now says that thicker strings actually give you more spin because more material comes into contact with the ball.

Personally I find that thicker strings at higher tension gives the most spin. What are your thoughts.

Ramon 10-14-2013 08:56 PM

If you follow that theory, I suppose you'll get the most spin by going back to standard 65 sq in heads with 18x20 string patterns and 15 gauge strings. You'll get a lot of contact with that! Believe me, I've tried that with wooden racquets in the past. It doesn't work.

The Dark Knight 10-14-2013 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramon (Post 7821471)
If you follow that theory, I suppose you'll get the most spin by going back to standard 65 sq in heads with 18x20 string patterns and 15 gauge strings. You'll get a lot of contact with that! Believe me, I've tried that with wooden racquets in the past. It doesn't work.

It's a difficult question and a mystery......

Mark woodforde used a really thick guage string ....I think thicker than 15 and an extremely sparse pattern. He also strung it insanely tight.

The new Wilson spin racquets also use really thick string with a sparse string pattern.

But I think the best we can do is take a look at the racquets that created the most spin on earth.....l

I think we would all agree that was the spaghetti string racquet.......they had double strings......that's pretty thick.....but very very loose.

So I would guess therefore that thicker and loose is the way to go?

Imago 10-14-2013 10:12 PM

Off+ hard and flexy blades with Tenergy 05 on them produce the greatest spin. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3iBRBkgnmg

brokenRPM 10-15-2013 01:46 AM

too much focus on the spin things. to win tennis matches, we should focus on mental and physical toughness above any equipment stuff.

if you see the TW videos on the net, u can see Troy drop shot Michelle in the latest rip string review. she can't get to those shots. period.

or if u see chris hitting. that dudes gets everything.

The Dark Knight 10-15-2013 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imago (Post 7821528)
Off+ hard and flexy blades with Tenergy 05 on them produce the greatest spin. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3iBRBkgnmg

Couldn't watch on mobile device.....but good point.....

Ping paddles paddles create a ton of spin but low power.

So how can we mimic that in a racquet?

1-Thick and dense pattern as possible to create more material

2- dead low powered string with string savers everywhere to make it "boardy"

3- high tension to make it more board like and with as little give as possible

StringingIrvine 10-15-2013 08:26 AM

Just a thought, wouldn't a thicker gauge string increase difference between the highest point and lowest point of the string bed?

When the main string 1.30mm goes OVER the cross it will be taller than if you used a 1.10mm. Although the height difference would only be the difference in string gauge (0.20mm). Would that be enough to make a difference?

SFrazeur 10-15-2013 08:33 AM

This is an old hypothesis that more material contact allows for more spin. I recall when I first came to this forum there were some posters claiming that dense 18x20 string a patterns gave more spin due to their density.

Dimcorner 10-15-2013 08:38 AM

I find that at 36lbs I generate noticeably more spin than at 48lbs so IDK :\

The Dark Knight 10-15-2013 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimcorner (Post 7822196)
I find that at 36lbs I generate noticeably more spin than at 48lbs so IDK :\

Wow???? Really?????

I also like low tensions as well.

The Dark Knight 10-15-2013 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StringingIrvine (Post 7822175)
Just a thought, wouldn't a thicker gauge string increase difference between the highest point and lowest point of the string bed?

When the main string 1.30mm goes OVER the cross it will be taller than if you used a 1.10mm. Although the height difference would only be the difference in string gauge (0.20mm). Would that be enough to make a difference?

Great observation !!!!

I think it would. And every milimeter counts .....especially when an entire racquet weighs merely in the 11 ounce range .

Even adding led tape or a difference of 15 mm or 18 mm makes
A difference . Very small numbers.

Muppet 10-15-2013 09:56 AM

Both thicker gauge and higher tension usually give lower power. Lower power necessitates a faster stroke. A faster stroke imparts more spin, maybe.

Don't forget the human element.

The Dark Knight 10-15-2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muppet (Post 7822387)
Both thicker gauge and higher tension usually give lower power. Lower power necessitates a faster stroke. A faster stroke imparts more spin, maybe.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh.......great observation !!!!

Thanks.

TimothyO 10-15-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dark Knight (Post 7821462)
The conventional wisdom is that thinner strings and lower tensions give you more spin.

A Tennis magazine article now says that thicker strings actually give you more spin because more material comes into contact with the ball.

Personally I find that thicker strings at higher tension gives the most spin. What are your thoughts.

There might be something to this, within limits.

I've found that thicker mains combined with thinner crosses improves spin potential. But the limiting factor is that the thinner cross provides less control So you need to use a stiffer, thinner cross to make up for the difference.

Perhaps a thinner cross functions similarly to a frame with fewer crosses and allows the mains to move more freely. Meanwhile the thicker main increases ball-string friction. But even there, there are limits. It's thicker mains in an open pattern.

TimothyO 10-15-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muppet (Post 7822387)

This is very true. So the real question is whether or not, all else being equal, would a thicker main enhance spin potential.

The corollary to your point is that a faster stroke requires better timing to maintain consistency and precision.

The optimum solution is a string bed that enhances spin within the limits of the user's abilities.

The Dark Knight 10-15-2013 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimothyO (Post 7822606)
There might be something to this, within limits.

I've found that thicker mains combined with thinner crosses improves spin potential. But the limiting factor is that the thinner cross provides less control So you need to use a stiffer, thinner cross to make up for the difference.

Perhaps a thinner cross functions similarly to a frame with fewer crosses and allows the mains to move more freely. Meanwhile the thicker main increases ball-string friction. But even there, there are limits. It's thicker mains in an open pattern.

Really? That may explain it.....

You see I didn't have 15 guage gut only 17 guage.

So I have 15 guage kevlar in the mains and 17 guage gut in the crosses

Sander001 10-15-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dark Knight (Post 7821462)
A Tennis magazine article

Possible to be any more vague?

The Dark Knight 10-15-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sander001 (Post 7822695)
Possible to be any more vague?

Tennis magazine is the name of the magazine. Pretty specific :-)

Sander001 10-15-2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dark Knight (Post 7822711)
Tennis magazine is the name of the magazine. Pretty specific :-)

How about which issue it is? Or any quotes? Or anything substantive than the blanket info you were capable of gleaning from it?

The Dark Knight 10-15-2013 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sander001 (Post 7822781)
How about which issue it is? Or any quotes? Or anything substantive than the blanket info you were capable of gleaning from it?

Get to work :-)