Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   A mirage? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=481433)

Egoista 10-29-2013 11:14 AM

A mirage?

Does anyone ever have a day where

1. The last three weeks they have improved their power and spin ratios considerably.

2. Beat an opponent who is far better than them regularly with the very occasional loss overpowering them at times. The other player also a very hard hitter

3. But one day hitting as hard as ever but their opponent returning shots with interest. YOur normal hard hits are being rifled back.

4. You then wonder whether your racquet is not upto the mark . A change maybe. You had not improved as much as you thought y ou did. Your normal strong mentality during matches going out the window during .

5. you wonder if your opponent all these days was just not trying hard and the moment they did their game was way better than yours?

The only preface to all this was on the day my movement was shiite, just did not have the explosive power in legs to hit through or reach some of the balls. Upper body was fine. But I wonder if I was tired enough to actually question my ball striking ability and whether my tennis improvement was a mirage?

LeeD 10-29-2013 12:03 PM

Your problem.
You focus only on your own hitting.
You forgot there is another guy on the other side of the court, and he is also trying to play well.
Any given day between my 4.0 buds and myself, we can lose 1-6 or win 6-1.

TimeSpiral 10-29-2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7854796)
Your problem.
You forgot there is another guy on the other side of the court, and he is also trying to play well.

Yep ^.

Tennis is super streaky, even at the highest levels.

LeeD 10-29-2013 12:58 PM

I'd already mentioned a 6-1, 2-6, 6-1 match I had with a 4.0 bud.
Yesterday, played 4-6, 6-2, 5-7 set with another bud, and the set I won I actually played my worst. But he was even worst.

Egoista 10-30-2013 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7854796)
Your problem.

Good points. In general I get the essence of what you are saying.
However, I have not forgotten the other side of the net its just that he seems to be hitting so much harder and I am finding it difficult to generate alot of power back. My FH my main weapon has gone AWOL too last couple of days which isnt helping .

ANd last two days he is going all out rather than hit three quarters pace. I think with some rest maybe I could play better. Today it was the same story again till we moved courts from my fav to another one . He was leading 3-0 in a set before I fought back to make it 4-3 in my favour

still I get your point give the other guy some credit too..