Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   1hbh - what is the TOP of your strike zone (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=484538)

JennyT93 12-03-2013 03:15 PM

1hbh - what is the TOP of your strike zone

The title says it all.

a poll is included.

If you vote - it would be more credible if a video or photo is included.

The pros probably have it at the eye level.

WildVolley 12-03-2013 03:28 PM

Define the question a little more. What do you mean by strike zone? Do you mean the location where it is easiest to hit the ball?

Most pros prefer to have a strike zone below shoulder level. That would even include Gasquet, as I've seen him hit a jumping 1hbh put-away on a high ball in order to drop the strike zone. Gasquet will tend to spin it if it gets too high.

AtomicForehand 12-03-2013 03:34 PM

If it's higher than shoulder level, I slice it. Or I don't take the second hand off--can get some sick angles that way.

JennyT93 12-03-2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildVolley (Post 7934105)
Define the question a little more. What do you mean by strike zone? Do you mean the location where it is easiest to hit the ball?

strike zone = you can rip the ball.

5263 12-03-2013 04:05 PM

I love taking a kickserve at around eye level and returning it with interest and angle! :)

Say Chi Sin Lo 12-03-2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JennyT93 (Post 7934121)
strike zone = you can rip the ball.

Between waist and knee. And yes, if it gets too high, there's always the slice or my personal favorite: the jumping 1handed backhand. :)

Here's a video of a drill I was doing. I asked my buddy to pin me to the ad court corner as much as possible, and I would just defend while he tries to end the point after a few strokes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMdA...ature=youtu.be

JennyT93 12-03-2013 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5263 (Post 7934149)
I love taking a kickserve at around eye level and returning it with interest and angle! :)

option 4? no way.

JennyT93 12-03-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo (Post 7934154)
Between waist and knee.

that's option 1 - hack.

5263 12-03-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5263 (Post 7934149)

ooops, sorry...didn't notice this was one hander....lower chest for that:neutral:

Say Chi Sin Lo 12-03-2013 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JennyT93 (Post 7934158)
that's option 1 - hack.

Oh the VERY top of my strike zone? Eye level = jumping 1handed backhand.

Topspin Shot 12-03-2013 04:26 PM

Give a good player a ball that sits up at eye level, and he'll hit it pretty well, one hander or not. Give that same player a ball that kicks up to eye level and penetrates the court, and he'll struggle much more. The point is that there's a lot of factors that go into whether a player can rip a ball, not just the bounce height.

user92626 12-03-2013 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JennyT93 (Post 7934157)
option 4? no way.

I wanted to vote #4 too but your option already excludes TTW posters. :)

Voted #5: knee and ankle level. Slicing is 1 hbh, right?

Say Chi Sin Lo 12-03-2013 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspin Shot (Post 7934168)
Give a good player a ball that sits up at eye level, and he'll hit it pretty well, one hander or not. Give that same player a ball that kicks up to eye level and penetrates the court, and he'll struggle much more. The point is that there's a lot of factors that go into whether a player can rip a ball, not just the bounce height.

This, move your feet and position yourself so you can strike the ball within your strike zone.

Eye-level stuff is really the last resort, and it's just a bad option.

movdqa 12-03-2013 06:37 PM

I took it to mean the highest place where you can comfortably hit a topspin backhand.

I find that higher swingweight racquets make it easier to hit high one-handed topspin backhands.

> Eye-level stuff is really the last resort, and it's just a bad option.

Sometimes you get into a rally with the other player hitting high-forehand kickers to your backhand and you have to deal with it.

winstonlim8 12-03-2013 06:46 PM

High flat slice backhand - less than two feet above my head on my left.

Regular flat slice backhand - waist height

Topspin backhand -waist height

I never try to play high topspin backhands, I don't have the strength.

Say Chi Sin Lo 12-03-2013 10:36 PM

How long until some idiot comes into this thread and tell everyone how inferior the one handed backhand is compared to the two handed backhand?

Sir Shankalot 12-03-2013 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo (Post 7934154)
Between waist and knee. And yes, if it gets too high, there's always the slice or my personal favorite: the jumping 1handed backhand. :)

Here's a video of a drill I was doing. I asked my buddy to pin me to the ad court corner as much as possible, and I would just defend while he tries to end the point after a few strokes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMdA...ature=youtu.be

Quote:

Originally Posted by JennyT93 (Post 7934158)
that's option 1 - hack.

He doesn't look like a hack on his video. Nice BH, wish I had one like that!

Say Chi Sin Lo 12-03-2013 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Shankalot (Post 7934546)
He doesn't look like a hack on his video. Nice BH, wish I had one like that!

Thank you. All it takes is a lot of practice and confidence. And a little bit of acceptance, that is: the one handed backhand is like a bullseye for people, and I've accepted that people are going to tee-off of on my backhand, so I just keep practicing and hold my ground.

LiquidWhip 12-04-2013 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo (Post 7934556)
And a little bit of acceptance, that is: the one handed backhand is like a bullseye for people, and I've accepted that people are going to tee-off of on my backhand, so I just keep practicing and hold my ground.

Amen to that!

Sir Shankalot 12-04-2013 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo (Post 7934556)
Thank you. All it takes is a lot of practice and confidence. And a little bit of acceptance, that is: the one handed backhand is like a bullseye for people, and I've accepted that people are going to tee-off of on my backhand, so I just keep practising and hold my ground.

Yes, that's what I'm trying to do at the moment. I'm a lefty so having a solid and consistent BH is especially important to me.

I like the way you mix up slice and TS. This is one combo I am trying to work on at the moment: opponent hits righty FH CC to my deuce court-> I hit loopy lefty TS BH CC and deep -> opponent hits another FH CC -> I hit a deep low BH Slice CC -> opponent loses rhythm and gives me a midcourt ball -> I run around and hit an inside-in forehand to his BH.

Seems to work more often than not.