Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   College Tennis Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   How am I doing? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=485386)

Ducker 12-15-2013 02:09 PM

How am I doing?

I've been practicing tirelessly since I was 21 I'm now freshly 27. Anyway recently played southern ca junior college player and beat him 6-1. Also just played a three star recruit and beat him 6/1 7/5. What's my potential or is it too late. I picked up tennis late obviously. I'm in so cal.

Lips 12-15-2013 02:40 PM

potential for what? going pro? none

playing some open tournaments in so cal and doing well? great!!

Ducker 12-15-2013 03:51 PM

going pro never crossed my mind. Sorry i did not state that in my first post, didnt think it was needed.

Lips 12-15-2013 04:00 PM

when you asked is it too late...that's what I figured you meant...too old for college eligibility...sounds like you are solid player...when i move back to so cal we should hit...5.0 player..in and around hollywood

ClarkC 12-15-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ducker (Post 7952998)
going pro never crossed my mind. Sorry i did not state that in my first post, didnt think it was needed.

Spell it out. Potential for what?

Ducker 12-15-2013 06:45 PM

Yea just talking college. Don't think I'd go for it. I've already gone and have a good job now. I don't thin your college eligibility ever expires based on age.

Doubles 12-15-2013 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ducker (Post 7953208)
Yea just talking college. Don't think I'd go for it. I've already gone and have a good job now. I don't thin your college eligibility ever expires based on age.

It does depending on the division you're playing iirc.

andfor 12-16-2013 08:39 AM

Pretty sure you could play Junior College if you have never played college tennis. Same might apply for NAIA and NCAA D3. NCAA D1 is out, D2 is a maybe. I've posted many links to the rules here. Too bad they were not made a sticky. Check with a college coach or call or email the NJCAA, NAIA and NCAA. If you look on their websites they have email and phone numbers there. I know with the NJCAA their compliance officer will respond to your questions via email.

Many of the posters in this section have very good knowledge on college tennis. Any of the credible ones here will tell you, concerning rules and compliance, get your answers from the source, either a college athletic dept., or the sport governing body, NCAA, NAIA or NJCAA. Best to look it up for yourself to get the right information and preventing false expectations. Good luck and let us know what they say.

JLyon 12-16-2013 08:41 AM

if you have not done college or played any collegiate sports, you could probably play NJCAA, I had a 38 yr old partner my freshmen year at a JUCO so it is possibly. Have fun is the big thing and teach the youngsters something.

tennis_ocd 12-16-2013 11:22 AM

To keep the dream alive... don't really go by me but I *think*, in the unlikely scenario that a guy has a love for tennis and simply takes lessons and plays pickup games at his club or local park with no tournament competition, he might indeed be D1 eligible regardless of age. One (all really) must get amateur (and academic) eligibility certification from the NCAA clearinghouse.

andfor 12-16-2013 11:34 AM

D1 is out for a 27 year old. I do know in D1 tennis the rule is that tennis players have 5 years to complete 4 years of eligibility from the time of H.S. graduation. Tennis players must also complete H.S. in 4 years from the time they enter the 9th grade.

There may be a remote provision for entering the military or going on a religious mission, if you were in a medical coma, alien from outer space, etc.

For NCAA or NAIA the clearinghouse provision is required. No clearinghouse for NJCAA.

Overdrive 12-16-2013 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andfor (Post 7954349)
D1 is out for a 27 year old. I do know in D1 tennis the rule is that tennis players have 5 years to complete 4 years of eligibility from the time of H.S. graduation. Tennis players must also complete H.S. in 4 years from the time they enter the 9th grade.

There may be a remote provision for entering the military or going on a religious mission, if you were in a medical coma, alien from outer space, etc.

For NCAA or NAIA the clearinghouse provision is required. No clearinghouse for NJCAA.

Huh, I didn't know that..

tennis_ocd 12-16-2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andfor (Post 7954349)

Again, no expert but I believe the criterion is competition after high school, not age. To maintain athletic eligibility a kid must stop *competition* 4 years after entering 9th grade. He would maintain 4 years of eligibility if it took him 6 years to graduate hs as long as he stopped competing after 4 years.

andfor 12-16-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis_ocd (Post 7954738)
Again, no expert but I believe the criterion is competition after high school, not age. To maintain athletic eligibility a kid must stop *competition* 4 years after entering 9th grade. He would maintain 4 years of eligibility if it took him 6 years to graduate hs as long as he stopped competing after 4 years.

The rule for D1 tennis initial eligibility is as I stated.

Read rule, 14.2.3.2.2 Tennis, for yourself. http://www.ncaapublications.com/prod...ds/D114OCT.pdf

More college tennis rules links -
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showp...1&postcount=25

tennis_ocd 12-16-2013 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andfor (Post 7954764)
The rule for D1 tennis initial eligibility is as I stated.

Read rule, 14.2.3.2.2 Tennis, for yourself. http://www.ncaapublications.com/prod...ds/D114OCT.pdf

No... as I stated only true if he plays *competitive* tennis after hs. There are no absolute age limits for D1 sports. Google Chris Weinke. Played QB for fsu starting at age 26 after several years playing baseball. These are rare cases -- where someone would be good enough for a d1 program yet not play competitively after hs.

andfor 12-16-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis_ocd (Post 7955077)
No... as I stated only true if he plays *competitive* tennis after hs. There are no absolute age limits for D1 sports. Google Chris Weinke. Played QB for fsu starting at age 26 after several years playing baseball. These are rare cases -- where someone would be good enough for a d1 program yet not play competitively after hs.

You're wrong about D1 tennis. Read the rule. The clock to begin play starts after 6 months from HS graduation. If you're right, explain how a 27 year old would be eligible to play D1 tennis. Good luck.

tennis_ocd 12-16-2013 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andfor (Post 7955086)
You're wrong about D1 tennis. Read the rule. The clock to begin play starts after 6 months from HS graduation. If you're right, explain how a 27 year old would be eligible to play D1 tennis. Good luck.

simply if he doesn't participate in organized tennis competition after graduating from hs. should he refrain, he could be eligible at 67. why are you crushing the man's dream?

andfor 12-16-2013 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis_ocd (Post 7955180)
simply if he doesn't participate in organized tennis competition after graduating from hs. should he refrain, he could be eligible at 67. why are you crushing the man's dream?

Not reading the rule or failure to comprehend it does not make your position a correct one. DI tennis you are wrong. He may be able to play JUCO, NAIA, NCAA D2 or D3. Unlike you, since I am unsure of the actual initial eligibility rules for those divisions, I'll defer to someone who can show me, like I did you, or refer him to a college athletic dept. or the athletic governing body for accuracy.

ClarkC 12-16-2013 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis_ocd (Post 7955077)

Chris Weinke played under a special rule for those who enter minor league baseball upon graduating from high school. This has nothing to do with the situation of the original poster.

George Opelka 12-17-2013 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andfor (Post 7955086)

Absolutely correct. The Tim Smyczek rule. Unconfirmed, but I understand Tim turned pro because he had to not because he wanted to (he was unaware of the 6 month rule). Had no say in the matter.