Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Feedback on some point play (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=486241)

andrehanderson 12-27-2013 09:19 AM

Feedback on some point play

I'm in the black hat, shirt and shorts.

I'm a bit frustrated by some really bad lower back pain, but even more so by my short game. Any tips on how I can improve my game inside the service line?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLqkZiAdx_8

The lower back pain has me serving a lot more lightly than I normally would. It's also made me move more stiffly, I think.

mightyrick 12-27-2013 10:21 AM

Your backhand is much better than your forehand. You prepare for the backhand very early and amazingly consistently. The backhand swing tempo is so nice and relaxed. Very unlike most players at your level. Not surprisingly, you are highly consistent with your backhand with great directional control.

The forehand has a lot of issues, though. Again, mostly with preparation problems. You don't prepare consistently or early enough.

Using the backhand as evidence, you clearly have the ability to anticipate well and prepare early. I think you need to apply this to the forehand. Anticipate. Get into a consistent hitting stance. Use a relaxed swing tempo.

Exactly like you do on your backhand.

andrehanderson 12-27-2013 10:31 AM

Thank you so much for the feedback!

My forehand causes me a ton of trouble, especially inside the baseline (when I feel rushed). Any good videos you'd recommend for working on forehand preparation?

andrehanderson 12-27-2013 12:02 PM

The camera angle isn't great. Unfortunately the fence is only a few feet behind the baseline.

andrehanderson 12-27-2013 02:23 PM

Come on! It's the holidays!

Topspin Shot 12-27-2013 02:45 PM

Hey, mate. Give us a few hours. :)

Alright, you lost to a pusher, something that's probably happened to everyone who's played the game. Heck, even pushers lose to pushers. So, to start with, did you notice that this particular pusher is much stronger off his forehand than his backhand? This means that whenever you get a short ball, you should hit to his backhand and come in off that. The only time you want to change it up is if your peripheral vision spots your opponent completely on the other side of the court, meaning that you'll get a free point if you go to his forehand side.

Since it's the holidays, I'll also give you a bit of technical advice. :) I really like your service action, but I wonder why you take so much off your second serve. Just turn a little more sideways and spin the ball a bit more. The spin will make the ball drop in. If you've tried this before, and it hasn't worked for you, tell me, and I'll take a closer look at your motion to see if I can spot anything.

Your backhand is pretty good for now, so I'll largely ignore it. Your forehand might benefit if you watch this video. The main idea is that the ball goes in the direction your racket face points, not the direction you swing. Therefore, your goal is to keep your racket face vertical (or slightly closed if you hit a lot of topspin, but this doesn't really apply to you) throughout the hitting zone. If the face closes, you'll dump the ball into the net, and if it opens, you'll send it long. Here's the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ot2xQJRJ5Q

Enjoy the game, and happy holidays!

dominikk1985 12-27-2013 03:25 PM

you are both dinking too much. you both can do solid shots but every time you have to move (especially forward) you play a weak slice and just bunt it into the opponents court.

you both could get much better if you used your legs to get in position and hit a normal topspin groundstroke on more occasions especially on the shorter balls.

no need to bunt the ball when you move forward. just get in position and drive a topspin into the corner and then charge the net. easier said than done but it will lead to an immediate improvement of your game.

spun_out 12-27-2013 04:31 PM

I would try to hit harder. I think you have it in you to do so. Your technical issues will reveal themselves once you start hitting harder and you can adjust then. If I were to play this person, they will basically all be 2 or 3 shot 'rallies,' as I will be hitting out the first floater I see (whether they go in or not, only heaven knows). Sure, it may not be fun for your opponent, but I think that your potential is above this level so you shouldn't be worrying about things like strategy and just try to get to the next level as soon as possible.

andrehanderson 12-27-2013 05:05 PM

Thank you so much for the feedback, guys! What is your opinion of the level?

Below 3.5, or above?

I really appreciate the advice.

Any tips for treating lower back pain?

andrehanderson 12-27-2013 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspin Shot (Post 7972905)
Hey, mate. Give us a few hours. :)

Alright, you lost to a pusher, something that's probably happened to everyone who's played the game. Heck, even pushers lose to pushers. So, to start with, did you notice that this particular pusher is much stronger off his forehand than his backhand? This means that whenever you get a short ball, you should hit to his backhand and come in off that. The only time you want to change it up is if your peripheral vision spots your opponent completely on the other side of the court, meaning that you'll get a free point if you go to his forehand side.

Since it's the holidays, I'll also give you a bit of technical advice. :) I really like your service action, but I wonder why you take so much off your second serve. Just turn a little more sideways and spin the ball a bit more. The spin will make the ball drop in. If you've tried this before, and it hasn't worked for you, tell me, and I'll take a closer look at your motion to see if I can spot anything.

Your backhand is pretty good for now, so I'll largely ignore it. Your forehand might benefit if you watch this video. The main idea is that the ball goes in the direction your racket face points, not the direction you swing. Therefore, your goal is to keep your racket face vertical (or slightly closed if you hit a lot of topspin, but this doesn't really apply to you) throughout the hitting zone. If the face closes, you'll dump the ball into the net, and if it opens, you'll send it long. Here's the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ot2xQJRJ5Q

Enjoy the game, and happy holidays!

A lot of great stuff in here. Thank you! Ill reply more appropriately tomorrow, but I wanted to thank you and the other posters who took the time to watch and contribute.

86golf 12-28-2013 04:33 AM

I think your strokes are generally okay for your level. Biggest issue is movement. When you change the direction of the ball you just stand there and watch. You need to switch to the other side of the center hash as soon as you strike the ball. It's a fundamental part of the court directionals.
Cut out first ball errors. Get the point started at all cost even if you have to lob the return back.

andrehanderson 12-28-2013 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86golf (Post 7973615)
I think your strokes are generally okay for your level. Biggest issue is movement. When you change the direction of the ball you just stand there and watch. You need to switch to the other side of the center hash as soon as you strike the ball. It's a fundamental part of the court directionals.
Cut out first ball errors. Get the point started at all cost even if you have to lob the return back.

Thank you for the feedback!

What level do you put me at?

Great tip about thr center hash...Thanks again!

andrehanderson 12-28-2013 03:39 PM

Any other tips?

Thanks in advance!

TomT 12-29-2013 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrehanderson (Post 7972422)
I'm in the black hat, shirt and shorts.

I'm a bit frustrated by some really bad lower back pain, but even more so by my short game. Any tips on how I can improve my game inside the service line?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLqkZiAdx_8

The lower back pain has me serving a lot more lightly than I normally would. It's also made me move more stiffly, I think.

Hi Andreh. I can't give you any tips on your playing. Actually, I'd like to have your game. :) Even with the back problem it still looks very good (fairly fluid and solid) to me, and you did hit some really nice shots. Your opponent has a very formidable game, from my perspective, also.

Certain kinds of injuries or conditions, and the pain that goes with them, can be very debilitating. I know from experience. Certain movements become very difficult or impossible to do, and it's so hard to just focus on the tennis and get into the good "zone". Have you tried chiropractic? Are you taking any sort of pain reliever(s)? I myself take Tramadol for the abdominal pain associated with my Crohn's disease (which has been active to greater or lesser degree for pretty much all of 2013). It does help, and it's also an anti-inflamatory, and a muscle relaxant, I think. Plus, it's non-narcotic so no worries about becoming physically dependent on it. I don't know if it would help with chronic back pain, but it's something you might ask your doctor about.

As for your netplay, I have my own problems with playing inside the service line. :) However, just as a general thing to do, I've found that when I remember to do the proper split step around or just inside the service line, tighten my grip just a bit, and, most importantly, watch the ball, intensely all the way into contact with my racquet, then I usually make a good volley. Unfortunately, as with everything else in my game, I seldom do all the right things on any given shot. :) So I miss a ton. hahahaha

Anyway, Happy Holidays.

mightyrick 12-29-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomT (Post 7975824)
Unfortunately, as with everything else in my game, I seldom do all the right things on any given shot. :) So I miss a ton. hahahaha

Man, if that isn't an apt description of recreational tennis in general... I don't know what is.

When I go out there, I just want to do as many right things as I can at one time -- and hope the ball goes where I want it to. :-)

andrehanderson 12-29-2013 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomT (Post 7975824)
Hi Andreh. I can't give you any tips on your playing. Actually, I'd like to have your game. :) Even with the back problem it still looks very good (fairly fluid and solid) to me, and you did hit some really nice shots. Your opponent has a very formidable game, from my perspective, also.

Certain kinds of injuries or conditions, and the pain that goes with them, can be very debilitating. I know from experience. Certain movements become very difficult or impossible to do, and it's so hard to just focus on the tennis and get into the good "zone". Have you tried chiropractic? Are you taking any sort of pain reliever(s)? I myself take Tramadol for the abdominal pain associated with my Crohn's disease (which has been active to greater or lesser degree for pretty much all of 2013). It does help, and it's also an anti-inflamatory, and a muscle relaxant, I think. Plus, it's non-narcotic so no worries about becoming physically dependent on it. I don't know if it would help with chronic back pain, but it's something you might ask your doctor about.

As for your netplay, I have my own problems with playing inside the service line. :) However, just as a general thing to do, I've found that when I remember to do the proper split step around or just inside the service line, tighten my grip just a bit, and, most importantly, watch the ball, intensely all the way into contact with my racquet, then I usually make a good volley. Unfortunately, as with everything else in my game, I seldom do all the right things on any given shot. :) So I miss a ton. hahahaha

Anyway, Happy Holidays.

Happy holidays, Tom! Thank you for the advice! I think you nailed it with the split step. I think that's a component I'm forgetting quite often.

I'm going to look for some tramadol to try. Ill try anything at this point!

Topspin Shot 12-29-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrehanderson (Post 7976158)
Happy holidays, Tom! Thank you for the advice! I think you nailed it with the split step. I think that's a component I'm forgetting quite often.

I'm going to look for some tramadol to try. Ill try anything at this point!

Hey andreh. You can check out my guide to footwork that I've posted on a few different threads. It may help you.

Quote:

Here's a quick little one minute guide to some footwork techniques. It doesn't cover everything because A) I don't have time and B) I can't think of everything.

1. The split step. What you do every time the other guy hits the ball. You want to time your hop, which can be off both feet or one, so you are at the top of the hop when the other guy is at his contact point. By the time you land, you should know where you have to go. If you have to go to the right, land on your left leg and push off. If you have to go to the left, land on your right leg and push off.
2. The steps in between the split step and your setup for your shot are kind of intermediate steps. They should be fairly small, but don't overdo the smallness. Oftentimes, you'll want to take bigger steps if the ball is farther away. Line the ball up with your back leg.
3. When you are about to hit the ball, you have to get your back leg down first. The back leg is the important one, the leg you plant so you can get a strong foundation. If you have time, you can always step with your front leg just before or during your shot. This goes for volleys as well as groundstrokes. Reaction volleys are often hit from open stances, whereas volleys where you have more time often involve stepping with the front leg during the hit, not before the hit.
4. After you hit the ball, you have to recover. Pivot off your back leg, which should still be planted on the ground. If you leave the ground during your shot, make sure to get the back leg back down. Often, the back leg will the outside leg. Recover to the spot where your opponent's reply is most likely to come. A bit of a crossover step with your outside leg crossing over in front of your inside leg may be necessary. Simple court geometry. If you're at net, you want to be positioned more to cover the down the line pass, whereas if you're at the baseline, you want to be ready to cover the crosscourt shot more.
5. Once you've recovered, just hang out there with your weight on the balls of your feet until your opponent is about to strike the ball. At that point, it's time to hit the split step again.

Rinse and repeat. And when you serve, you've got to split step when your opponent returns the ball. When you return, you have to split step when your opponent serves the ball.

andrehanderson 12-29-2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspin Shot (Post 7976176)
Hey andreh. You can check out my guide to footwork that I've posted on a few different threads. It may help you.

Great advice! Thank you!

andrehanderson 12-30-2013 04:15 AM

Anyone have any videos to recommend on improving short court play?

andrehanderson 12-30-2013 04:15 PM

Shameless ttt