Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   I was on the court next to a 16 yo junior tournie final yesterday (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=487123)

dman72 01-06-2014 10:45 AM

I was on the court next to a 16 yo junior tournie final yesterday

I was hitting on the next court at my indoor club.

Kids could hit the ball.

I'm assuming this was under-16 since both of these kids looked to be about 13 and barely into puberty.

That had to have a tournament official come down because they were fighting over line calls.

One kid was a major d-bag, yelling "come on" after all of his opponents misses...needed a good face punching.

maggmaster 01-06-2014 10:51 AM

Hahaha my doubles partner got in a bit of a tiff at a tournament this weekend with a junior during a singles match. They were both pretty pumped up and the 'come ons' were pretty loud from both sides. The kid started to give death looks every time my partner yelled. It was weird, because they were both doing it.

mikeler 01-06-2014 11:51 AM

The 'come ons' seem pretty standard now among the younger generation.

dman72 01-06-2014 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maggmaster (Post 7995389)
Hahaha my doubles partner got in a bit of a tiff at a tournament this weekend with a junior during a singles match. They were both pretty pumped up and the 'come ons' were pretty loud from both sides. The kid started to give death looks every time my partner yelled. It was weird, because they were both doing it.

I could feel the tension between these 2 kids when I was watching. The one kid goes and gets an official because he thinks the other kid (the d-bag) hooked him on a serve.

The ball was at least 6 inches deep, and he was getting beaten pretty badly, but he's all "are you serious about that? are you sure?"

I'm still amazed that high level tennis play relies on the honor system. You'd never see a high school basketball game be self officiated.

dman72 01-06-2014 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 7995516)
The 'come ons' seem pretty standard now among the younger generation.

When the other guy makes an error?

mmk 01-06-2014 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dman72 (Post 7995528)
I could feel the tension between these 2 kids when I was watching. The one kid goes and gets an official because he thinks the other kid (the d-bag) hooked him on a serve.

The ball was at least 6 inches deep, and he was getting beaten pretty badly, but he's all "are you serious about that? are you sure?"

I'm still amazed that high level tennis play relies on the honor system. You'd never see a high school basketball game be self officiated.

That's a good point. The only other high school sport played without refs I can think of is golf, if you can call that a sport. Do NCAA division 1 matches have officials watching each match? I know that when I played D2 decades ago we didn't, and that was the only sport at my school without officials.

My club hosts a holiday break junior tournament, and at least for the finals for each age group they had an official for each match. They might have had them at earlier rounds, but I can't say for sure.

mikeler 01-06-2014 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dman72 (Post 7995531)
When the other guy makes an error?

I watched two small colleges play last year. There were loud "come ons" after almost every point for every match. I was playing a doubles league match and wanted to tell them to cool it because they were distracting me.

Overdrive 01-06-2014 12:36 PM

^

Busch League...

newpball 01-06-2014 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dman72 (Post 7995379)
One kid was a major d-bag, yelling "come on" after all of his opponents misses...needed a good face punching.

You think a 13 year old kid needs a good face punching because he yells "come on" after all of his opponents misses.

How do you think we look at you with that kind of attitude?

IA-SteveB 01-06-2014 12:56 PM

Don't kids mostly learn this stuff from older players?

JLyon 01-06-2014 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IA-SteveB (Post 7995685)
Don't kids mostly learn this stuff from their coaches and parents?

Fixed it for you

West Coast Ace 01-06-2014 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newpball (Post 7995649)

Like a New Yorker? :) Ironic that he wants to punish bad behavior with more bad behavior.

Tennis is a great game; unfortunately there is more of this type of behavior than back in the day. And the worst part is the Denial - my friend and I asked a woman on the next court who would berate herself and opponent every few minutes in a loud voice if she could keep it down a little - she responds in Victim Mode "I guess I can't play here anymore!" Sad.

tennis tom 01-06-2014 04:15 PM

Quote:

You think a 13 year old kid needs a good face punching because he yells "come on" after all of his opponents misses.

Speak for yourself, what's with this "WE" stuff???--or are you using the royal "we" because you're descended from monarchy? Personally I think there's a lot of punks out there who should be smacked but we're living in a tyranny of the children momentarily and if you exercise your "it takes a village" approach and give 'em a good smacking you'll end up in jail. Even parents can't smack their own rug-rats for fear of them snitching to the social police. Too bad, they'll have a hard landing someday when they mouth off to the wrong person or this ship of fools kulture we're in rights itself.

newpball 01-06-2014 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis tom (Post 7996191)
Speak for yourself, what's with this "WE" stuff???

I would assume that most people would not condone adults to smack 13 year old children in the face.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis tom (Post 7996191)
Personally I think there's a lot of punks out there who should be smacked ....

Given the attitudes you express in many postings I must say that does not come as a surprise to me.

amorris525 01-06-2014 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmk (Post 7995567)
That's a good point. The only other high school sport played without refs I can think of is golf, if you can call that a sport. Do NCAA division 1 matches have officials watching each match? I know that when I played D2 decades ago we didn't, and that was the only sport at my school without officials.

The top teams, such as UVA, Stanford, USC, etc. have a chair umpire for each court. As you move down Division 1, you go from chairs on each court, to multiple roving umpires, to one roving umpire, to no umpires.

tennis tom 01-06-2014 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newpball (Post 7996212)
I would assume that most people would not condone adults to smack 13 year old children in the face.

Given the attitudes you express in many postings I must say that does not come as a surprise to me.

You know what happens when you ***-ume.

sureshs 01-06-2014 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dman72 (Post 7995528)

Because there are many matches going on in parallel in tennis

Spin Doctor 01-06-2014 06:40 PM

Quote:

Yes. Maybe not a punch per se, but a good hard slap at least.

This behavior is sickening. Parents should be embarassed. If my kid did any of this B.S. stuff ("come ons", hooking, head games) , his competitive tennis career would be over real fast. After I slapped him first.

P.S. I am willing to volunteer as the slapper for any junior tourneys. Or face puncher if that is your preference.

asimple 01-06-2014 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spin Doctor (Post 7996497)
Yes. Maybe not a punch per se, but a good hard slap at least.

This behavior is sickening. Parents should be embarassed. If my kid did any of this B.S. stuff ("come ons", hooking, head games) , his competitive tennis career would be over real fast. After I slapped him first.

P.S. I am willing to volunteer as the slapper for any junior tourneys. Or face puncher if that is your preference.

I'm with you in spirit. I don't believe in hitting kids but I would definitely not allow my kids to behave the same way I have seen from these juniors. I played a few and witnessed a couple of matches and would be embarrassed if my kids behaved that way.

IA-SteveB 01-07-2014 04:29 AM

In this context, what does "come on" even mean? It seems like a dumb thing to even say. Is it just a dumb saying people these days use, like "I know, right" and "really?"