Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   What pro to select? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=487226)

nytennis-74 01-07-2014 10:29 AM

What pro to select?

I am a 3.5 player who wants to get to 4.0. Given a budget what coach would you select for a weekly lesson?
1) Pro A - Best coach possible for 12-90 minutes lessons (Used to be ATP ranked - Director of tennis academy)
2) Pro B - Coach who is 75% as good for 16-120 minute lesson (college ranked - currently 6.0 ranked)
I would be integrating with an additional 3 hrs a week in practice time/week on top of the private lessons.
I guess the question for the poll is whether, at the 3.5 level, you need the best coach possible or more time with a decent/good coach is better.

nytennis-74 01-07-2014 10:35 AM

Just to clarify, I would be playing a total of 5hrs/week (1.5-2hrs private - 3-3.5 hrs practice).

Topspin Shot 01-07-2014 10:35 AM

I gave my opinion on the first thread. Go with the better pro, that is the one who will teach you the best.

shazbot 01-07-2014 10:37 AM

Whoever is the better teacher, is who you should pick :)

A 7.0 is not necessarily a better teacher than someone who is a 6.0. Sure, they are a better player, but not always a better teacher.

Cobra Tennis 01-07-2014 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazbot (Post 7997882)
Whoever is the better teacher, is who you should pick :)

A 7.0 is not necessarily a better teacher than someone who is a 6.0. Sure, they are a better player, but not always a better teacher.

could not agree more. I have seen some TERRIFIC coaches come through USPTA and only be rated 3.0-4.0. Some people have a great ability to teach.

e.g. Nick Bollitieri

nytennis-74 01-07-2014 10:50 AM

It is interesting that people writing posts are saying to go for best possible / but people voting are saying to go with second best (but still good) and spend more time.

sureshs 01-07-2014 10:52 AM

There should be Yelp ratings for pros

nytennis-74 01-07-2014 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 7997944)
There should be Yelp ratings for pros

I could not agree more.

sureshs 01-07-2014 11:03 AM

Or an Angie's list

shazbot 01-07-2014 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nytennis-74 (Post 7997937)
It is interesting that people writing posts are saying to go for best possible / but people voting are saying to go with second best (but still good) and spend more time.

When you say "best possible". Do you mean the better player or better coach/teacher?

It's pretty common knowledge in the tennis world that a REALLY good player does not always equal a REALLY good coach/teacher.

Ask other people in your club who they prefer. Ask members what each of the coaches strong points are. Maybe you are looking to improve your mental game or your shot selection. Or maybe you are looking to work on your backhand and serve.

Go with the club pro that best suits your needs. Don't worry about their playing level.

nytennis-74 01-07-2014 11:25 AM

I think I should have said ceteris paribus. I am aware that ATP ranking does mean you can teach, especially if you believe the saying "there are those who can do and those who can teach".
Of course in a perfect world, I would know who would be the best teacher as it applies to me. Or maybe find an undiscovered Nick Bollettieri-type pro who will teach me tennis for $20/hour. There is many questions we can ask or points we can raise but let me explain the poll.
If you HAD to make your decision purely based on the information provided above, what would you select?

shazbot 01-07-2014 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nytennis-74 (Post 7998033)
I think I should have said ceteris paribus. I am aware that ATP ranking does mean you can teach, especially if you believe the saying "there are those who can do and those who can teach".
Of course in a perfect world, I would know who would be the best teacher as it applies to me. Or maybe find an undiscovered Nick Bollettieri-type pro who will teach me tennis for $20/hour. There is many questions we can ask or points we can raise but let me explain the poll.
If you HAD to make your decision purely based on the information provided above, what would you select?

To a 3.5, a 6.0 and 7.0 are equal in skill (in my opinion). So go with Option B.

Ash_Smith 01-07-2014 12:35 PM

Select the one with whom you have the best connection (might take a couple of sessions with each to ascertain). Coaching is such a personal relationship, assuming other teaching skills are roughly equal, work with the one who "connects" with you

Mongolmike 01-07-2014 01:27 PM

I voted good coach - more time because there is always more areas you can work on. However, like others said, you want the best teacher too.

Two things I have found which I think are essential are the teaching attitude, and the ability to adjust. (My opinions clearly.)

By teaching attitude- which coach has the teaching style that best motivates you? Is he a yeller, is he a joking type, does he encourage you in a way you respond to? Do you like the drill sgt. approach, do you like the gentle correction, high energy, calm flow....?

And ability to adjust- is if he is trying to explain a technique, but it just isn't making sense to you. Can he explain it a different way that does make sense to you? Does he have another drill that demonstrates the same technique if you are having trouble with the first drill? Not every explanation makes the same sense to different people. How it is worded can be really a big deal sometimes.

One other thing I would suggest is the time between the lessons. If you can, try to incorporate matches inbetween the lessons so you can try to do the stuff you learned in actual matches. Just my 2 cents.