Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Anyone tried Poly/Multi Hybrid in Blade 98S (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=487307)

SweetNola 01-08-2014 08:53 AM

Anyone tried Poly/Multi Hybrid in Blade 98S

Anyone tried a poly/multi hybrid in the blade 98s? I know that the SET are notorious for eating through strings. Didn't know if 18x16 pattern would be any different.

SCRAP IRON 01-08-2014 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetNola (Post 7999980)
Anyone tried a poly/multi hybrid in the blade 98s? I know that the SET are notorious for eating through strings. Didn't know if 18x16 pattern would be any different.

I actually have done that hybrid just two weeks ago! You are in luck because I experimented with several set-ups and I can tell you that the performance of the following hybrid is very favorable:

Any shaped co-poly in the mains and a multi with a COATING in the crosses. Now, I will suggest to forget about the multi and buy a stiffer synthetic like the new Gosen strings. They are specially coated and they hold tension much better. The other key is to string BOTH the mains and crosses at the same or similar tensions because of the 18x16 pattern. You should experience good control and spin with this set-up. I hope this helps you out.

SweetNola 01-08-2014 11:38 AM

How was the durability?

Ramon 01-08-2014 11:55 AM

I have a 98 ESP which eats strings too. I've given up on multi crosses. A mono syngut cross works better because it doesn't fray. I'm using Gamma Marathon 15L with Monogut ZX mains. It's soft and slick. For poly you also want something slick but not necessarily as soft unless you really want to soften the string bed.

SCRAP IRON 01-08-2014 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetNola (Post 8000321)
How was the durability?

The durability is very good for a hybrid. That is why I suggested the Gosen AK Pro cross string in addition to it's good snap back effect. The Zyex string will give you more life but man it does not have much feel. In all fairness, I only used Zyex in a full bed in the Blade 98s. It was not playable.

Ramon 01-08-2014 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCRAP IRON (Post 8000526)
The durability is very good for a hybrid. That is why I suggested the Gosen AK Pro cross string in addition to it's good snap back effect. The Zyex string will give you more life but man it does not have much feel. In all fairness, I only used Zyex in a full bed in the Blade 98s. It was not playable.

Full bed ZX at 58 lbs on the 98 ESP was terrible. I had to increase it to 66 lbs AND give it 30 second pulls on my drop weight machine. It lasts longer with a synthetic cross because the full bed notches.

bertrevert 01-08-2014 08:20 PM

A poly/multi hybrid would lose you the snapback you want in this frame.

I have full poly in it now (but perhaps my elbow isn't going to put up with it) and it's ideal in these open frames. I tried full multi, PPA, but it was mushy, notched quickly, and didn't enhance the frame.

Suggest reading what others are using in other open-patterned frames because they're similar/relevant...