Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   College Tennis Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Small D1 Conference tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=487970)

Clemson_tennis 01-14-2014 10:40 AM

Small D1 Conference tennis

This thread is for all the smaller conferences in D1. This year I will be going to quite a few matches at UIW, including this friday vs UL Lafayette which I will watch closely. UIW is now in the Southland, which is usually dominated by A&M-CC. UIW actually has a few decent home matches this year with ULL Friday and then Western Michigan later in the year, both of which were borderline top 75 teams last year and WMU led by the pretty good player Nadin Indre.

So if you have any insights on teams from the Southalnd/Southern/Ohio Valley/Colonial etc.. share them here.

JLyon 01-14-2014 11:46 AM

Southland is fun conference and now adding Abilene Christian, UIW and UNO will make it a good one to follow if you enjoy and cheer for the smaller guys.

Nostradamus 01-14-2014 11:52 AM

does small D1 conferences have any chance of winning the NCAA title ever ? they have to compete with big time colleges with money

Clemson_tennis 01-14-2014 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostradamus (Post 8017148)
does small D1 conferences have any chance of winning the NCAA title ever ? they have to compete with big time colleges with money

well Pepperdine. VCU was runner-up once. But those programs have kinda separated themselves and this thread isn't really about them.

Nostradamus 01-14-2014 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clemson_tennis (Post 8017163)
well Pepperdine. VCU was runner-up once. But those programs have kinda separated themselves and this thread isn't really about them.

yea, pepperdine and VCU is not exactly small program. they are considered a power house in D1 tennis. Their football and basketball programs suck so they put more attention to tennis.
I am talking like small small D1 colleges.

Clemson_tennis 01-14-2014 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostradamus (Post 8017175)
yea, pepperdine and VCU is not exactly small program. they are considered a power house in D1 tennis. Their football and basketball programs suck so they put more attention to tennis.
I am talking like small small D1 colleges.

Yes that is what this thread is for. VCU's basketball is very good actually.

West Coast schools would qualify for this thread, outside of Pepperdine.

justinmadison 01-14-2014 04:37 PM

Does anyone have insights into University of Portland? Coaching staff or program. My son is considering joining the team for next year. They seem like a good bunch of guys from my limited interactions.

Nostradamus 01-14-2014 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justinmadison (Post 8017878)
Does anyone have insights into UP? Coaching staff or program. My son is considering joining the team for next year. They seem like a good bunch of guys from my limited interactions.

yes,, University of Pacific has one Heck of #1 singles player. he will be ranked in top 20 in D1 tennis.
They have Newly resurfaced outdoor courts. Coaching staff is not big name but solid I hear. School is Party school, I hear. but academics are what you make of it. If you have Good GPA then you will do well in life with good Degree.

tennis5 01-15-2014 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justinmadison (Post 8017878)
Does anyone have insights into University of Portland? Coaching staff or program. My son is considering joining the team for next year. They seem like a good bunch of guys from my limited interactions.

Your son should ask the coach if he can arrange for your son to spend a weekend ( Saturday night) at the school. Your son would then sleep over ( on the floor, he would bring a sleeping bag) in a room with one of the teammates. He can interact and get a better feel of the guys that way without parents or coaches around.

10s_plyr 01-16-2014 05:30 AM

Southern Conference is fun to watch and the level of play is much higher than one might expect. Western Carolina has been the weakest team in this conference for a few years now. However, they have a very young (all sophomores), talented and enthusiastic team this year. They are adding a few recruits next year that are under-rated and will bring much needed depth to this squad. The new coaching staff is impressive. Look for WCU to compete with the elite in this conference over the next few years.

Clemson_tennis 01-16-2014 01:11 PM

I could go to UTSA matches as well. But looking at their home schedule they only play 1 match worth going to and that's vs Wichita State late in March.

JLyon 01-16-2014 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clemson_tennis (Post 8024008)
I could go to UTSA matches as well. But looking at their home schedule they only play 1 match worth going to and that's vs Wichita State late in March.

The Trinity Men are not bad either but they usually only play weaker DIII at home.

UTSA should have some decent matches, won;t be UT or A&M level but competitive. They are in the Sun Belt now so a step up from Southland and WAC from years before.

Clemson_tennis 01-17-2014 02:52 PM

Watched UIW vs ULL. I was able to get a nice high angle which was great.

The Cajuns won 6-1 with UIW's lone winning coming at #1 with Jair Asuncao winning 6-4 6-5. Asuncao is a good player. It's a shame he's a senior so this will be his only year to attempt to make an impact at the D1 level. His game reminds me a lot of Rafael Aita of UNCW. Has a heat-seeking forehand that can hot the corners and has just enough spin to make it dissect the court. UIW has two tall guys at 2 and 3 who are dangerous players in Ivic at 2 and Smoljan at 3. Ivic is 6'3 and Smoljan 6'5. Both of them lost very close matches, with Smoljan's being 10-8 in the 3rd set super tiebreak.

After that there is a drop off. 4-6 for UIW is not very strong and will be the source of issues this season.

ULL has a bunch of solid guys. Nobody stands out but they are all very solid players. Nothing special, flashy and nothing volatile. They will breakdown lesser teams but will not challenge teams better than them very much.

atatu 01-17-2014 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLyon (Post 8024091)
The Trinity Men are not bad either but they usually only play weaker DIII at home.

UTSA should have some decent matches, won;t be UT or A&M level but competitive. They are in the Sun Belt now so a step up from Southland and WAC from years before.

I don't know if anyone here is old enough to remember when Trinity was a national power, that would have been fun to see.

ClarkC 01-17-2014 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atatu (Post 8027023)
I don't know if anyone here is old enough to remember when Trinity was a national power, that would have been fun to see.

I am certainly old enough! I saw SMU vs. Trinity matches that featured two teams ranked in the top 5 nationally. A lot has changed since then.

Clemson_tennis 01-17-2014 09:02 PM

very short video of UIW vs UL-Lafeyette (im not using my usual account here, having issues with it)

Clemson_tennis 01-17-2014 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10s_plyr (Post 8022637)
Southern Conference is fun to watch and the level of play is much higher than one might expect. Western Carolina has been the weakest team in this conference for a few years now. However, they have a very young (all sophomores), talented and enthusiastic team this year. They are adding a few recruits next year that are under-rated and will bring much needed depth to this squad. The new coaching staff is impressive. Look for WCU to compete with the elite in this conference over the next few years.

Very even league with no dominant force. Samford has won it twice in a row but they have been far from dominant. Elon looks like they will be a force this year in the league.

Vicious Vik 01-17-2014 11:06 PM

I've been to a UIW and UTSA match before.

10s_plyr 01-27-2014 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clemson_tennis (Post 8027854)
Very even league with no dominant force. Samford has won it twice in a row but they have been far from dominant. Elon looks like they will be a force this year in the league.

I watched Appalachian State and UNCG both play Wake Forest over the past two weeks. Wake won both matches easily. Appalachian appeared to be the stronger of the two teams, but neither was very impressive. Elon will be competitive this year, but they will get a lot stronger next year once Kirsten Ward joins the team. (Just to clarify - my original comment was aimed at women's Southern Conference teams).

tennisbuck 01-27-2014 11:43 PM

How about the Big sky? I think Sac. State will win this year. Hoping UND shows some improvement from last year