Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   A few serves (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=488217)

dlesser13 01-16-2014 12:32 PM

A few serves

Just a few serves. The ones that ended up in the net are a result of poor timing, sometimes I have a habit of letting the ball drop too much. When I'm having an on day though, it's tough for me to get broken. These were clocked using the iphone app that uses frames at about ~110 in case anyone is curious about that. I like to think I have a pretty simple motion. Not really looking for much feedback, but feel free to add any. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?edit=vd&v=BXn-BB8sBeA

sureshs 01-16-2014 12:46 PM

Well, most of them went into the net so it is difficult to say much

dlesser13 01-16-2014 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 8023921)
Well, most of them went into the net so it is difficult to say much

If by most, you mean half, then yes. Not saying it's a great percentage, but as I already explained, the nets were a result of the toss. Regardless, that is independent of my actual motion.

Tight Lines 01-16-2014 01:35 PM

I'd say pretty decent looking serve motion although it's difficult to observe much detail due to the camera position.

The only thing I can definitely see is your toss. You may not realize this but you bend your arm when you toss and once the ball leaves your hand, your hand stops. For consistent tossing, you should keep your arm straight and do not stop your arm movement until it reaches vertical.

Good luck.

Harry

Topspin Shot 01-16-2014 01:40 PM

What counts isn't banging flat serves (which you do quite well) but how well you can command spins and placements and most importantly your second serve. That's the video I'd like to see.

mbm0912 01-17-2014 11:15 AM

Good looking serve dlesser13

Chas Tennis 01-19-2014 04:46 AM

To improve your video
1) Motion Blur. video in direct sunlight so that your camera's automatic exposure control will select a faster shutter speed resulting in less motion blur.
2) Image Size. Get closer to the server so that he/she fills about 70% or more of the frame while always showing from below the feet to above the racket.
3) Camera Location. One location that is very informative is from behind the server, camera viewing along the flight path of the ball. Side view is also very good but motion blur is larger. For comments on video and some common serve problems
Search: camera behind Chas Tennis

To properly analyze the faster parts of the serve - the racket acceleration leading to impact and ball location on the racket strings - requires high speed video, where 240 fps works very well.

Are both your feet leaving the ground?

joeydaly 01-19-2014 07:31 PM

+1 to the above statement - better camera location.

Next time when you're recording try multiple different locations and do like 5-10 serves each time. So from directly behind, on your left side, on your right side and maybe on the other side of the court facing your front. Then we can see if you're fall away from your ball toss, hip rotation, feet position, shoulder rotation etc..

From what I can tell, you're not getting enough drive up into the ball. It almost looks like you've got chains around your feet if you sorta understand what I mean.

LeeD 01-20-2014 01:54 PM

Good looking motion for better than 3.5 level, but not anything close to top 4.0.
Relax.
Concentrate on toss location first, then target.
Know to separate first flatter serves from spinny second serves that always go IN.
Vary location, but try the backhand side of opponent's first.

Topspin Shot 01-20-2014 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 8038707)
Good looking motion for better than 3.5 level, but not anything close to top 4.0.
Relax.
Concentrate on toss location first, then target.
Know to separate first flatter serves from spinny second serves that always go IN.
Vary location, but try the backhand side of opponent's first.

Oh, come on. Those serves are all over 100 mph. No 4.0 player will be able to do more than block them back with varying amounts of success. If he can place them in the corners, no 4.0 will be able to return them period. Now, I'm not saying he's a great player because I don't know how well he can hit second serves and spinny first serves, but seriously....

dlesser13 01-20-2014 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspin Shot (Post 8038767)
Oh, come on. Those serves are all over 100 mph. No 4.0 player will be able to do more than block them back with varying amounts of success. If he can place them in the corners, no 4.0 will be able to return them period. Now, I'm not saying he's a great player because I don't know how well he can hit second serves and spinny first serves, but seriously....

And the fact that I am a computer rated 4.0 player in Texas. It is LeeD after all. I need to upload some second serves so people will get off my case about bombing the flat serves. I have a very reliable second with considerable pace and placement and if the flat isn't working for me on any given day, I can easily place my 2nd with a little more pace and spin.

SpeedKillz 01-20-2014 05:57 PM

it seems like you are throwing the ball up on your toss and it is jerky, creating inconsistency. it should be a smooth relaxed motion.

tons of videos on youtube.

shindemac 01-21-2014 12:16 AM

Serve is pretty good. If you're placing the first serve too, then that's pretty deadly.

LeeD 01-23-2014 01:31 PM

Like I said, and read it again.... "top 3.5 level serve, nowhere working at the top of 4.0.
You are a 4.0, and your serve is not near the best.
EXACTLY as I said.
Why isn't your serve that good?
Very little legs, resulting in limited speed and power. Very little twist and ab crunch, same result. Very little trunk twist, same result.
Your serve works at 4.0, but not WINNING 4.0.
It might improve, but not with your attitude.